Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Ever have trouble with your CCW bag and TSA?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever have trouble with your CCW bag and TSA?

Hey Folks,

Hard to clarify my question in the title. I'm about to order a new travel/day pack with a CCW compartment for a pistol and magazines. Right now when we are out hiking or whatever I just carry an old backpack. I don't really use the backpack for anything but hunting trips and hiking.

However the new pack is much more versatile and I will probably want to use it when traveling. So I had this thought, what happens when I use the bag and I try to go through TSA at the airport and there is gun powder residue inside the bag? There will be powder residue in the pack, there is no question about that.

I have no intention of carrying my pistol or ammunition on a plane but if they decide to do a closer inspection and find the chemical residue it's obviously going to raise some flags. Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

Of course I will be able to explain that I carry a pistol at times, I can show them my CCW card and identification, I can explain that no I don't have any firearms or explosives but this is TSA we're talking about. How much of a hassle and delay is this going to be if they decide to pull me aside?

Thanks for any input,
Beel
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the same bag for hunting, shooting, and traveling as well. I can fit seven days of casual clothes and essentials in this backpack, and its carry on size.

It usually is around shotgun, rifle, and pistol fire as well as used to store old casings for reloading and collecting.

I have never had an issue but I don't mention it. I also comply with all regulations before being asked. Bag open, bags of toiletries out, large items out, shoes off, belt off, jacket off, pockets empty. Usually walk right through.

Even had to do the stand in x ray thing with no issues a couple times.

Bump for more clarification, but you should be fine.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
I use the same bag for hunting, shooting, and traveling as well. I can fit seven days of casual clothes and essentials in this backpack, and its carry on size.

It usually is around shotgun, rifle, and pistol fire as well as used to store old casings for reloading and collecting.

I have never had an issue but I don't mention it. I also comply with all regulations before being asked. Bag open, bags of toiletries out, large items out, shoes off, belt off, jacket off, pockets empty. Usually walk right through.

Even had to do the stand in x ray thing with no issues a couple times.

Bump for more clarification, but you should be fine.
Excellent answer, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

I knew someone would have some experience with this situation.

My pack won't be big enough to use as a complete travel bag but I could see taking it along for carry-on. Just had the vision of the TSA agent deciding to run their wipes across the bag and suddenly I'm in a little room being asked all sorts of questions about firearms and explosives.

Thanks again for the response.

Beel
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should be fine, a couple years ago I attended a SWAT school where we shoot a lot (1000 of rounds) and flew back home with out getting flagged at the airport. I know that I was covered in gun powder residue so I would think that you should be fine.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Went through with a military pack. They pulled me out for a random and wanded the bag. it came up hot. nothing in it, but was at the range a couple days before.

explained i was military and they let me through
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

It probably also depends on the chemicals. A friend of mine went to a fireworks factory to pickup some stuff for a July 4th before traveling. He just dropped them home on the way to the airport, never thought about the shoes. Got a hard time at the airport.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Freak

I used an old range bag this past December as a carry on and did not have any problems. I would think you would be fine as long as you follow the regulations before being asked.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

It depends on whether your airport is sniffing for explosives. Not many do these days, only heightened alert status, etc. if they pull you for random search and run a sniffer, you'll have some 'splaining to do.
Wouldn't expect the delay to cost you more than ten minutes, worst case. Just don't forget to remove pistol and ammo believe me, it happens.

Quick Reply: Ever have trouble with your CCW bag and TSA?