Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Double stacked 1911 .45?????

Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for considering a double stack 1911.

If you need that kind of firepower, get a more modern handgun like a Glock .45.

If you prefer something with an exposed hammer and a single action pull, a very nice option is the H&K USP.

With our hollow point technology today, a 9mm will easily suffice, but if you must have a .45, and it must be a 1911, go with what you know is best and get a traditional single stack, practice changing mags and carry an extra one so you'll have the capacity you want without settling for an unreliable firearm.

***I'm very opinionated about handguns.

Last edited by MrDillClinton; 03-13-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the new Sig Sauer 1911s. U get the sig name and great prices considering the price of 1911s these days
Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrJones944
Most financial analysts are. Opinions are a dime a dozen. Facts seem to be few and far.
Still, the facts create opinions: double stack 1911's, other than STI race guns, have been known to have awful feeding problems and magazine issues - thus their lack in popularity. Other .45's ,such as those I mentioned, are high capacity and do not have feeding problems, and are generally considered as reliable as they come.

I wanted to OP to know I was a bit opinionated about firearms so I didn't come across as being a complete asshole - as for folks in my job type, most aren't interested in handguns at all.

If I was so opinionated that I ignored the facts, I would only tell him to get what my favorite handgun is, and bash everything else.

Last edited by MrDillClinton; 03-14-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd pass on the double stack 1911, especially if it was built by Para-Ordnance before they became Para USA or whatever it is now. These pistols had issues. Some were fine, but I wouldn't want to play that game of roulette with my money. A little Google-Fu will turn up all you ever wanted to know about the P-14s, P-12s, etc. They had feeding issues, just like mentioned above, which could've well been caused by the crappy magazines, but since not many folks make these mags, or the parts to maintain them, you have a mess on your hands if affected by the feeding issues. Mag spring changes often did not help. Usually it involved not feeding the last round, slides not locking back, etc. Not all had issues, but most of the folks that I've spoken to that did, ended up selling the pistol because they couldn't get it sorted out. Anecdotal, yes, but enough to dissuade me.

Take also into consideration that these double stack 1911s are pretty dang heavy. Even with a good belt and holster, you might be constantly "adjusting" if this is for concealed carry.

Plus, the 1911 is such a beautiful thing to go mucking up.

Unless it's a race gun, I'd go single stack- in fact, I did, and would do it again.

JMHO. YMMV.

Jason
Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

What do u meen by double stack?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

What do u meen by double stack?
Instead of one column of rounds in the magazine, there are two, like in a high capacity pistol magazine.

Here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	difference_between_double_stack_and_single_stack.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	290629

1911s are single stack guns, traditionally.

Jason
Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks alot
Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default sako 85

Originally Posted by backroadman81
What would the going price be for a lightly used Para 1911 as described in title? Pros and cons or anything I should know about this.

Also any info on Sako 85 300 mag. good or bad never heard of it before tonight.

Thanks
as far as the Sako 85 is concerned, the gun has a good rep and is know for having good accuricy and is very dependable. Many Remington 700 are modified with Sako style ectractors. It's big about twice the size of the Remington. The 300 mag is great hunting round and is also a good long range target round. ammo is inexpensive and abundant.

Quick Reply: Double stacked 1911 .45?????