Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Deer Season

Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got up early, skipped the coffee (so as no need to pee) and went out to where I placed a ground blind near my backyard corn pile. I waited till the day started getting hot and humid and nothing. Not suprised. I have not heard any shots out there today either I guess because we have a long season and tommorow is Saturday not a lot of folks took the day off. You can bet tommorow the dogs will be running and shots flying though. I think I got me an idea though. Living out here with no (zero zip nada) source of foodstuffs other than what you pack in I might have found me a Saturday morning buisness. I think as of next weekend (can't do it now) I will set up a boiled p-nut stand right off the side of the HWy where our road comes into it. I am sure to get every redneck within 10-15 miles flocking in when they move from drive to drive or lunchtime.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
Very nice pix! I'm pretty sure there are no whitetail's in Utah. Although I have heard they are moving closer slowly......Here is the same buck that live's in my neighborhood. He is alway's in my back yard and eating my tree's. He is growing amazingly fast!

Thanks for the great comments on the pics. That buck will be a dandy in 3 years. Looks like a nice 3x2 this year! I would have thought Utah would have some really prime monster white-tails as I have seen some dandy Elk & Mule Deer taken out of that State!!

If Mulie's are around White-tail will show up eventually and will drive out a few of the Mulies as the WT-tail are characteristically more dominant deer than Mulie's. Looks like you live in a great neighbourhood with those Mulie's bouncing around!!!!! Just have to pull out the Bow when a Monster buck rolls up to your backyard!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Yea, no whitetails yet......but Im sure they are coming to Utah. Here is another pic. After I took the picture my kids fessed up about feeding this doe some dorito's. My two kids in the blue shirts.....
Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just came back from Utah...

We were close to www.duckcreek.com , And it was awesome!

We went 7 for 7, and some guys got some great 4X4 and 4x5's... Got mine getting out of the JK...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam's 3X2 (Large).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	12153  
Old 08-26-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Man almost two weeks in and zero zip nada nothing. Not even does visiting the pile at least when the sun is up enough to see them. It's like they have a calendar somewhere in the woods (call it deer lounge) and the morning of hunting season they all stay in deep cover only coming out at night or when the dogs run them out. At least the dog guys have not come down this far yet. They usually work around in a pattern skipping every other drive and this year they started at the other end. They will be running them across the road soon and I will be waiting over here because if they miss them the deer will be coming straight across the road and through my area because it is a safe well covered escape route. The thing is it is not going to be as safe as they think.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

3.5 weeks then my hunt starts! It is a premium hunt that I drew out on. I have heard I will have my choice of monster bucks in the area. I am going scouting there after I get back from Moab this weekend! I will take some pics when I'm scouting and then the hunt. Taking the F350 because I can't take the JK, the huge rack won't fit inside! (counting my chicken's before they hatch...)
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi

3.5 weeks then my hunt starts! It is a premium hunt that I drew out on. I have heard I will have my choice of monster bucks in the area. I am going scouting there after I get back from Moab this weekend! I will take some pics when I'm scouting and then the hunt. Taking the F350 because I can't take the JK, the huge rack won't fit inside! (counting my chicken's before they hatch...)

DON"T GET BUCK FEVER....if you have a prime draw area with MONSTER BUCKS. I have seen it happen a few times with my buddies....Take the first thing they see with horns and think it's a monster +170 class buck then.....you get the shrinkage factor as you get closer and it's really a 110-130 class buck.

Take your time judge a few bucks in the area. Some good tips that it's a monster buck that I have gotten from good hunters when I was younger to judge a good buck in the field. These tips are more for a White-tail than a Mule Deer...but I have used the tips on a few Mule Deer.

1) If the Rack spread is beyond the ears it will usually be about a +18" or larger inside spread buck.

2) Side view of the rack - (only a White-tail) if the main beams goes beyond the tip of the noise of the buck you got yourself about a 22-24" main beam.

3) Then you look at the tines for length comparing them to the main beam and spread to get an idea of avg. length and this will help judge your buck if it's a B&C buck!

Good luck with your hunt!!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Default Worried a little!

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
DON"T GET BUCK FEVER....if you have a prime draw area with MONSTER BUCKS. I have seen it happen a few times with my buddies....Take the first thing they see with horns and think it's a monster +170 class buck then.....you get the shrinkage factor as you get closer and it's really a 110-130 class buck.

Take your time judge a few bucks in the area. Some good tips that it's a monster buck that I have gotten from good hunters when I was younger to judge a good buck in the field. These tips are more for a White-tail than a Mule Deer...but I have used the tips on a few Mule Deer.

1) If the Rack spread is beyond the ears it will usually be about a +18" or larger inside spread buck.

2) Side view of the rack - (only a White-tail) if the main beams goes beyond the tip of the noise of the buck you got yourself about a 22-24" main beam.

3) Then you look at the tines for length comparing them to the main beam and spread to get an idea of avg. length and this will help judge your buck if it's a B&C buck!

Good luck with your hunt!!!!

I am getting nervous about Buck Fever! My buddy was in the Book Cliffs (in Utah, look it up!) a couple weeks ago and he said there was 4 points running around everywhere! Very few does and huge two pointers. Which was weird to me. He said don't get to ichy trigger finger and don't pass up a big one looking for a bigger one. I'm going scouting next weekend and will post up pics of what I find! Leaving in the morning to MOAB till Labor Day!!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi

I am getting nervous about Buck Fever! My buddy was in the Book Cliffs (in Utah, look it up!) a couple weeks ago and he said there was 4 points running around everywhere! Very few does and huge two pointers. Which was weird to me. He said don't get to ichy trigger finger and don't pass up a big one looking for a bigger one. I'm going scouting next weekend and will post up pics of what I find! Leaving in the morning to MOAB till Labor Day!!

Just be patient let a few go on opening day and get a feel of how the deer are acting if they are into pre-rut or full rut season. Also, you will get a feel if they are spooked and your window of opportunity is short for a good kill shot.

You know the bucks are in the area....and if you are scouting the area....you will know there habits and escape routes. Also, if there are a few bucks in a crowd with does and are walking out in the open......USUALLY 95% of the time the BIG BOY is following in the rear from my hunting experience!!!! THE BIG BOYS are BIG for a reason. Keep a close eye on sizes of 4 pointers...you will get a feel and know when one of those 4 pointers is a BRUTE just by Tine length, Tine Thickness and Spread of the rack.

If you are scouting make sure you use cover scent on your boots & clothes don't give any reason for the deer to change there routes due to human scent! Also, look for some good scrap lines you know the bucks will be checking those daily during the rut!!!

Good LUCK and have a good time in MOAB!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here check out this old video. It'll help you get in the mood for hunting season.
I remember this one from when I was a teenager.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9yhhflmvY

Quick Reply: Deer Season