Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Deer Season

Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer Season

Let me say I apologize for any mistakes now as I have my contacts out and am having trouble seeing what I wrote because I can't get the screen to enlarge.

I know for most of you it's early but for us season starts August 15th (FRIDAY ). This afternoon about 1 mile from my house I saw a small buck in velvet cross the road. Not a big deal till a moment later you see the one behind him. This thing was huge and still in full velvet. Now this is less than a mile from the house where I have a well visited corn pile. Now I have never seen him (smaller deer and does) but it seems the rain this afternoon and low light might have got him moving early (he did not hurry across the road). Now of course I am having a hard time sleeping wanting to go out and sit near enough to the corn pile to see shadows at least. Maybe I need one of those cameras......

The crap of it is as everyone knows no matter how many deer you see before season starts or how many visit your corn pile daily in broad daylight the moment the season opens it all stops. Hopefully they have gotten used to us being out enough to not care but there is something about opening day that drives them nocturnal and into the deep stuff. BTW did I mention there are a lot of dog hunters here which make it a bit harder on those of us who still hunt? They even have run them on a piece across the main road from where we live so close I clearly heard the shots and shouts when deer were taken. Oh well personally that's a bonus because they get them moving into my area (where they can't run the dogs) so any they miss that crosses the road I might just have to be set up and waiting on.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Bow season...right?

Damn that is waaaayyyyy early! Doe bleet buddy, doe bleet! Great for early season.

Resident Geece season opens in a few weeks here...wooohoooo!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PONCH
Bow season...right?

Damn that is waaaayyyyy early! Doe bleet buddy, doe bleet! Great for early season.

Resident Geece season opens in a few weeks here...wooohoooo!
Nope season (gun, bow, spear j/K) runs from August 15th through January 1st. The only specific seasons are in the WMAs and the upstate. Both of which have shorter seasons. Keep in mind this is the south with a high population of deer and of course smaller deer.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Yeah your smaller deer are lame!

Come to the mid-west (home) where our does will eat your bucks!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Yea the mule deer in Utah are pretty big! I too am going on the muzzleloading hunt in Sept. Here is a pic I took in my front yard. A 4 point running down the street.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually don't go early deer hunting season, I usually wait till rut season....

We have some monster Mulies here in BC and some biggie Whitetails!!

Last fall 1 day after opening season......Forgot my damn rifle at home on my way out to work & never saw this monster buck again :
[IMG][/IMG]

Saw this non-typical whitetail one day after closing season....smart fella! So, I will be doing some scouting this fall for this buck.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This was the buck I took last fall with my 6 year old daughter!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Nice pictures.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Very nice pix! I'm pretty sure there are no whitetail's in Utah. Although I have heard they are moving closer slowly......Here is the same buck that live's in my neighborhood. He is alway's in my back yard and eating my tree's. He is growing amazingly fast!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
Let me say I apologize for any mistakes now as I have my contacts out and am having trouble seeing what I wrote because I can't get the screen to enlarge.

I know for most of you it's early but for us season starts August 15th (FRIDAY ). This afternoon about 1 mile from my house I saw a small buck in velvet cross the road. Not a big deal till a moment later you see the one behind him. This thing was huge and still in full velvet. Now this is less than a mile from the house where I have a well visited corn pile. Now I have never seen him (smaller deer and does) but it seems the rain this afternoon and low light might have got him moving early (he did not hurry across the road). Now of course I am having a hard time sleeping wanting to go out and sit near enough to the corn pile to see shadows at least. Maybe I need one of those cameras......

The crap of it is as everyone knows no matter how many deer you see before season starts or how many visit your corn pile daily in broad daylight the moment the season opens it all stops. Hopefully they have gotten used to us being out enough to not care but there is something about opening day that drives them nocturnal and into the deep stuff. BTW did I mention there are a lot of dog hunters here which make it a bit harder on those of us who still hunt? They even have run them on a piece across the main road from where we live so close I clearly heard the shots and shouts when deer were taken. Oh well personally that's a bonus because they get them moving into my area (where they can't run the dogs) so any they miss that crosses the road I might just have to be set up and waiting on.
I hope you didn't forget to put in those contacts this morning?
And on a different note. Good luck. Break a leg and alll that good stuff.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

WOW, great pix!

Quick Reply: Deer Season