Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Charter Arms.....

Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charter Arms.....

What do you guys know about Charter Arms revolvers? Quality wise....is good?, ok? no good?
Thanks....
Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No firsthand experience. They look to be an lower end revolver and are priced accordingly.

I'd look at a Ruger, Smith or even Taurus first.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:44 AM
JK Super Freak

They're the revolver line from the same company that makes Hi-point semi-autos and carbines.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
They're the revolver line from the same company that makes Hi-point semi-autos and carbines.
That's not true. Charter Arms is simply Charter Arms, an independently owned, private company based out of Shelton, Conn. Hi-Point is a subsidiary of Beemiller Inc, and based out of Mansfield, OH. Theses two companies are not affiliated with each other, except that they happen to use the same distributor/marketing firm; MKS Supply. The manufacturing remains independent of each other.

To answer OPs question; I've got a Charter "Undercover" .38 Special. It's not my favorite gun by far, but if feels pretty solid. I guess they're ok, and they're pretty cheap. If you're like me and just like to pickup guns at any chance you get then why not get one? If you're looking for a primary carry piece, or a good revolver to keep by the bedside, I'd continue my search.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks to me like they are where Taurus was when they first came on the scene years ago. A moderate quality gun on the cheap.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. I was looking at a couple at the store the other day and the ss 44 mag looked a bit "thin" to say the least. The barrel looked so small that I was actually surprised it was a 44. But at $399. I guess that's what you get now a days. I'd still like to find a 454 one of these days.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

I set a friend up with one for personal carry not too long ago. It shot fine and she had no trouble qualifying with it. Personally I prefer Smith and Wesson's.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

The original Charter Arms went bankrupt in the 90's. It was reopened by a different family. I have an original Charter Arms undercover .38 special, and as others have said, not the best gun, but it is small, and servicable. I would hate to have to fire a bunch of rounds through it though, as the grip is rather uncomfortable. I am not familiar with the new ones though.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

I carry a charter arms pug in 44 special everyday don't want to fire a 100 rounds thru it but I know it will fire when I need it to. It's small but with a little punch.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
No firsthand experience. They look to be an lower end revolver and are priced accordingly.

I'd look at a Ruger, Smith or even Taurus first.
What he said!

If you are looking for a conceal piece, the Ruger LCR is very impressive. I know there are die hard Smith fans out there but side to side the trigger on the Ruger is different and seems much more accurate to me.

Quick Reply: Charter Arms.....