Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carrying a weapon question

Old 08-08-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
So you pulled a handgun on a fellow citizen because you were scared of him not because you saw him with a weapon.
you may be willing to take the chance of that guy willing to want to sit down over a latte to discuss the matter, but i would not. Block me in in traffic and get out of your car to settle the matter with me... not happening! like you said he was SCARED of him, meaning the other person posed a threat. not to mention couldn't see his hands... (keep your hands hidden or in your pockets around law enforcement and see what happens.) I think that the weapon served its purpose here and luckily it ended the way it should.

self defense isn't only to be used if someone else has a weapon in my opinion. It's the matter of a threat being posed. If someone breaks in my house im not going to holler out and ask them if they are packing.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mfbarnes@barnes
Well his first use of deadly force was running him off the road with his vehicle, and a vehicle used in that way is a weapon, then he approaches his car, with his hand behind his back, mistake number two, he's lucky he's not taking a dirt nap right now. I wouldn't think twice about shooting a sumbitch that's acting that way. Run a cop off the road and do the same thing and see how fast you get shot. Kudos to the guy for having the self control not to shoot the guy, and luckily the idiot didn't push the issue any further. Sounds as thought the perp had a definite size advantage on the guy, so self defense is in order by whatever means necessary. Nuff said.

If however you feel that you should wait unitl the guy inflicts harm on you or even worse kills you, so be it. We'll send flowers either way. Later........
I like your style
Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you pulled a handgun on a fellow citizen because you were scared of him not because you saw him with a weapon.

Forcible Felony is a circumstance in which use of deadly force is authorized according to GA code. If you carry in Georgia as you indicated in another thread you might want to know what the laws are.

I would agree however that road rage is a tricky situation and the best case would be to avoid it at all costs, but sometimes that just isn't a choice.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default laws in ga

yeah, i know what the law is in ga. I still hold that you do not show a gun without pulling a trigger. If one feels threatened enough to show his gun he should be pulling the trigger. I do not know if I'd been prepared to kill a man without knowing he had so kind of weapon. What would a jury of twelve say about that? Of course you could always place a butcher knife in the assailant's cold dead hands if there were no other witnesses.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

yeah, i know what the law is in ga. I still hold that you do not show a gun without pulling a trigger. If one feels threatened enough to show his gun he should be pulling the trigger. I do not know if I'd been prepared to kill a man without knowing he had so kind of weapon. What would a jury of twelve say about that? Of course you could always place a butcher knife in the assailant's cold dead hands if there were no other witnesses.
So you are saying that if you pull your gun in defense of your self of another and the threat retreats, no longer being a threat, you should shoot them anyway?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
So you are saying that if you pull your gun in defense of your self of another and the threat retreats, no longer being a threat, you should shoot them anyway?
If the threat still has a weapon while retreating, he/she is still a threat and would be handled accordingly. If the threat drops their weapon before retreating then you should not shoot. In all seriousness though, most of the time drawing your weapon is enough to stop the threat. Stopping the threat is your goal, not killing someone.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
If they have turned tail, and are running away in a straight line, well, that's just not very sporting, but if they are zigging and zagging, and running real fast, past 25 yards it becomes extra credit.:rotflmao2 :
Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default self defense

no, I am saying that if I pull a gun the assailant would not have time to retreat.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

no, I am saying that if I pull a gun the assailant would not have time to retreat.
Sounds like your advocating killing someone if you don't have to.
Unless you are the speed shooting champion it is very difficult to out draw a weapon that is already drawn and making it difficult to defend yourself against a person with his hand behind his back who may already have a weapon drawn.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default devil's advocate?

I'm just saying that I would not draw my weapon and point it unless I was sure I needed to. Then I'd Be pulling the trigger. It don't take that long!!! I ain't no speed demon especially with a single action revolver. And I reckon the other feller might get a shot off first. Hope he can hit what he aims at cuz I can sure hit a chest size target at 20 yds easy. Might get rattled though having to shoot at a fellow human being, escpecially since he's maybe fixing to shoot me. Hope that god never lets me get in that situation. It'd have to be tough. As far as shooting though I've been doing that since I was 10 or so. I'm 55 now so I've got 45 years of practice.

Quick Reply: Carrying a weapon question