Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carrying a weapon question

Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MFBarnes, yeah you're right, I do work in the patch. I'm a contract safety guy for one of the majors. So my drilling supt. is the one I need to talk to and have but he really can't do anything so I guess I'll just have to be more alert. They probably wont' change much if ever. And I didn't know about the firearm law on a location. It's a good thing they don't enforce the 20yrs for theft or we wouldn't have many roughnecks. You think the prisons are crowded now, hahaha.

It's not my co-workers I'm worried about as much as the meth heads and cookers running around in the woods now days.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry a concealed weapon almost constantly. You asked where is a good place in the Jeep to hide one, well there really isn't such a place.

I keep my small CCW in between the front seat and the console. It's a tiny .380 Keltec and the pouch that came with it fits nicely right over the seat belt buckle which keeps it in place. I have it in a way I can grab it at a moments notice, but its not in plain sight.

If I'm carrying my big CCW, a Springfield XD9, I keep it on my person because there is just no good place to put it in the jeep.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
It's a tiny .380 Keltec and the pouch that came with it fits nicely right over the seat belt buckle which keeps it in place.
I took a stitch cutter and removed the Kel-Tec embroidery from the case to make it a little more plain looking. Looks just like a case for a PDA.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:42 AM
JK Newbie

When i'm driving, I keep my Glock in between the emergency break and gearshift. It fits perfect and is a quick grab if needed. That little storage spot on the bottom part of the driver's door is a perfect spot for my kel-tec. Once again, an easy place to grab it quickly.

As for the question of should you resort to a gun or try your luck with verbal commands or other less-lethal options. I think only you can truly answer that. If you are comfortable and calm in bad situations and are not going to rely just on your weapon, then go for it. But if you are jumpy, and your mind shuts down when your in a bad spot, dont carry one because the chances of you using it when it shouldnt be used will greatly increase.

As for the rules of the job....If you are comfortable and trained and the rules of your job are the only thing in your way, and you are truly concerned, I believe in the saying "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
Old 05-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I am ex military, but not a cop. While I have fired my weapon in anger, I have never had to do so as a civilian. I thank God for that, as I dont ever want to... But do not mistake that for distaste or fear, because if i deem that I need to, I will, and I won't hesitate.

I carry everywhere except work for the same reasons mentioned above, it simply isnt allowed. If it where, I would.

I range practice a lot, i used to do a LOT of move~N~shoot with some old friends. AR/shotgun/handgun IDPA type popup targets reloading on the fly and using cover. I loved it, it was a ton of fun. The little competitions between us where you fought to win just a buck, made it entertaining. Most of those guys where local LEO's, but we did have one local FBI guy that joined in from time to time. I havent done that recently, and i need to get back into practice more. I do agree that some basic self defense training is essential for anyone because as also mentioned, you wont always have the gun with you, it simply isn't possible to always do so. A gun is not the only answer, but it certainly can be the final statement when you need it.

All of the training i recieved, taught me that if i get to the point that i feel it is necesary to draw the weapon out of hiding, it is time to shoot. period. Therefor chances are, if i draw it, someone is going to be on the bad end of it as soon as i get my sight picture online. In my personal opinion, "stop or i'll shoot" warnings, make great movie plots, but poor reality checks. I am sure there are times where it has defused a situation, i am not arguing that one bit, but I have heard accounts firsthand from police officers who have tried it, and gotten rushed while saying it, which threw them off, and only by some small miracle they where able to recover. BOTH of them have since said on multiple occasions that they should have fired first and skipped the bullshit.

As for the whole gun use scenario unfolding, It is very true that should that situation where you need to use it arise, it will be far different than you think it will be. Adrenaline can do some freaky things when you get a sudden shot of it, and it doesnt always do the same thing to the same person twice. It can make you shake like a leaf and fall apart, or make you as steady as granite and very focussed. No one knows what it will do, until it really does happen to you.

I sincerely hope no one here ever needs to find that out for themselves.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 05-27-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

It boils down to, Its your life. Its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Never tell anyone you have a gun and you will be ahead of the game.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can always get some bear spray. It'll make them wish they didn't screw with you. A few years back a pizzia delivery guy was held at knife point in his car, and as he went to undo his seat belt he pulled his weapon and unloaded the whole mag. The bad guys family sued the driver and pizzia company. But he's alive.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've read that alot of people would rather die than to take another life.
You have to protect yourself.
I will not leave my children fatherless if some crack head tries to take me out.
They might have to come visit me in jail because of some panty waiste judge. But I WILL be alive!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default you violated the rule

Originally Posted by drbeddow
I have used a handgun to defend myself once. It was a roadrage situation where a guy quite literally ran me off the road, he got out of his car and started toward my car with one of his hands behind him. This guy was huge! I have a carry permit and usually have a gun with me. The way his car was blocking me made it difficult for me to easily drive off so I grabbed my gun and pointed it at him and told him to stop, go back to your car and leave! I though it would stop there. Thats when it got really scary. He continued toward me and I seriously believed I was going to have to shoot him. He must not have seen the gun initially because he suddenly stopped and said something, I can't remember what, but I yelled again for him to get back in his car and leave, which he did. I can tell you that had he taken even a couple more steps I would have shot him. After he drove off and the threat was over I called the police and reported it. The realization that I came so close to having to shoot someone was the scariest thing thats ever happened to me. In hindsight I do believe had I not had the gun he would have hurt or even killed me with whatever he was carrying in his hand. But the other side of that coin is will you be able to use it when you need it. I can tell you for certian that the reality of a situation like that is much different than you expect it will be.

So you pulled a handgun on a fellow citizen because you were scared of him not because you saw him with a weapon.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
So you pulled a handgun on a fellow citizen because you were scared of him not because you saw him with a weapon.
Well his first use of deadly force was running him off the road with his vehicle, and a vehicle used in that way is a weapon, then he approaches his car, with his hand behind his back, mistake number two, he's lucky he's not taking a dirt nap right now. I wouldn't think twice about shooting a sumbitch that's acting that way. Run a cop off the road and do the same thing and see how fast you get shot. Kudos to the guy for having the self control not to shoot the guy, and luckily the idiot didn't push the issue any further. Sounds as thought the perp had a definite size advantage on the guy, so self defense is in order by whatever means necessary. Nuff said.

If however you feel that you should wait unitl the guy inflicts harm on you or even worse kills you, so be it. We'll send flowers either way. Later........

Quick Reply: Carrying a weapon question