Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shepherda
A couple of thoughts on the original situation:

First - Have you seen those decals - "Insured by S&W" ...Ruger, etc. On cars and trucks. I have not gotten one yet, but plan on it. It ought to work like those home security signs. So to the punk, If you're looking for fun, find an easier target. Also, You gotta love those Yosimity (sp) Sam "Back Off" mud flaps. Remember what he is holding?. I dont plan on getting those, but they do look cool.

Second - I have actually placed my empty holster on the dash in plain sight once in a similar situation. I wanted to communicate that - I am ready...dont mess w/ me. I think it should help protect you legally, because it is not a threat. And, it would be more difficult for a punk to say they saw a gun and really be able to back that up.... So was that a revolver or auto? Short or long barrel? Nickel or blued? Pearl handle? etc....

Any Thoughts?
Nothing good can come from either of those. Plus nothing says redneck like a bunch of catchy slogan gun stickers on your car. Why make yourself a target? It usually does not provide the deterrent it is intended to. Better to blend in and look unassuming in my opinion.

If you do happen to have to use your handgun to defend yourself, it will not look good in court when the prosecutor brings up the "Insured by S&W" decal on your vehicle. Only shows the jury that you are a bit of a loose cannon. Justified or not your life could easily be in a jury's hands if it gets that far. Not worth the risk.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I keep these on magnets so when I want to be more discrete I just take them off and slap them on the inside of the tailgate. I promise you it actually makes a huge difference on the punk ass tailgater level. I see a definate difference when I forget to put the stickers back. Some douchebags will actually come on on me all "billy badass" and back off bigtime when they start to read.

I also have this one on a magnet:
Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
I think one of things being forgotten here is that here in Canada we dont have a lot of the violence the States has (notwithstanding the direction Toronto is heading) So the whole "big city" issue, doesnt really apply here. I have been around weapons my whole career in the military, but when I drove to Florida this past January and saw people walking into a Wendys with a holster, I was still "WTF?" You just dont see that here. As a matter of fact I have lived here in Kingston a total of close to 5 years, and for the life of me cant remember when there was even a handgun offence nevermind a shooting. We have about 115000 here in town so it isnt some tiny town.
Dont get me wrong it isnt all Care Bears and unicorns up here, but we definitely dont see the violence you guys see.

My biggest issue about the whole hand gun thing is how easy it is to get one down there. As far as I understand it, as long as your record is clean and you wait your 7 days you can own one right? I dont know about Americans but I know there are Canadians who have clean records and shouldnt be allowed to take a bus nevermind own a gun.
What is the solution though? What we have here? What they have in England? What you guys have? I dont know.
I do know however that I can drive in pretty much ANY Canadian city with my doors off and roof down and the biggest thing I have to worry about is a polar bear attack or running into an igloo (that is a joke FYI, basically nothing to worry about) That is a great feeling. When I first read the OP, I was like, man I felt like that in Kosovo, it would suck to feel like that in my hometown.

dyolfknip and gypsy,

this is why we carry guns. and this is in your neck of the woods.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americ...bus/index.html

it can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime
Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
dyolfknip and gypsy,

How did I know this would be brought up?
I dont think a gun would have helped the passenger sleeping who was attacked, he didnt have much reaction time as far as I know. And after the attack the assailant was calm. He even "matter of fact" came and dropped the head at the front of the bus and got back on. So then what? Shoot him even though the threat was gone? I dont know. I do know that as a soldier, I have have what is called "rules of engagement" so that has to come into play for me also.
But yes we do have random acts of violence here in Canada, although I dont think carrying a gun in this situation would have helped one iota.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

dyolfknip and gypsy,

Just what you want, someone firing a gun off in a confined bus with a bunch of innocent people on it panicking.

Honestly, a gun would not have helped that poor boy, he was gone after the first stab. I think this is exactly the kind of situation that would have turned into a disaster had there been weapons on that bus.

Again, not wanting to get into the debate of gun control but that is an extremely bad example, I think.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

dyolfknip and gypsy,

Now that's messed up!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I don't get this part

" The suspect was seized with the help of negotiators, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell said.

He said no formal charges had been filed, and he declined to identify either the man in custody or the victim, who were among 34 passengers."

I'll go along with a gun probably would not have done the victim much good, But good lord, if my seat mate on a Greyhound Bus, stabs me and lops my head off, I would hope someone officially charges him with at least unlawful possession of my head.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ah, you know, happens all the time up here in Canada because we don't carry. We can't prosecute EVERYONE who walks around with a head...

Seriously though, they can hold him for a brief period of time before laying charges. Once they lay charges they have to make his name public so a number of things are happening right now. A) the local OPP are freaking out because they've never dealt with a murder before, much less something this gruesome and b) they are trying to investigate his background etc. as fast as possible before arresting him, naming him and the media mucking around.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gypsy
Ah, you know, happens all the time up here in Canada because we don't carry. We can't prosecute EVERYONE who walks around with a head...

Seriously though, they can hold him for a brief period of time before laying charges. Once they lay charges they have to make his name public so a number of things are happening right now. A) the local OPP are freaking out because they've never dealt with a murder before, much less something this gruesome and b) they are trying to investigate his background etc. as fast as possible before arresting him, naming him and the media mucking around.
no OPP in Manitoba Gypsy, I think you meant RCMP

...the details coming out are incredible. Now it is being said that after he dropped the head at the front of the bus he went and ATE some of the body.....wow...I am pretty sure he will be finger painting in his own feces in a rubber room for the rest of his natural life...either that or bunking with Paul Bernardo.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Texas and we could carry for years under that "travelling" clause, but that was never defined and some Joe Bob Bubba cop might decide to arrest you. Now we have a great thing called the Castle Law! It lets anyone in Texas that can legally own a handgun keep one in their vehicle. I think it is absolutely wonderful. We don't even have to worry about lawsuits for shooting people stealing our stuff. You can even shoot someone to protect your neighbors stuff. Come take my TV... I dare you! I bet money carjacking will go down over the next couple years here. You turn a couple theives into bullet sponges and word gets around.

BTW I carry a Glock model G21, and I always have one in the pipe. 14 rounds of +P+ .45 is enough that I rarely carry a second mag. It is a big gun, but I am 6'1 190lbs and I dont think it is too big to carry in the back of my pants. I use one of those thin nylon holsters that clips to my belt. In the summer I sometimes tote my keltec P32 full of fang faces.

I understand how you felt exposed top and doors off. God knows I have made some wrong turns in Dallas and been so glad I had a piece on me. I think that none of those situations called for showing your steel, not even close. I am so glad you didnt because a couple of situations like that happening and getting in the media or gun laws will be crap like everyone elses. I showed mine once in 2001... I didn't live here but I was in town when the ice storm hit this place. People were crazy, stealing gas and generators and crap. A crackhead tried to climb into the pickup I was driving and all it took was me flashing it and they scurried away at olympic runner speed.

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?