Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypsy
Handguns have no other purpose than to shoot people. And it doesn't sit well with me that anyone who is licensed can carry one loaded and concealed. And I certainly wouldn't want to carry one, having seen first hand the damage they can accidentally do. That's all. Different countries, different opinions.
Umm, that's like saying the primary purpose of knives is to stab people.....or the primary purpose of martial arts is for beating people up....

People in the US use handguns for:

Personal protection - Doesn't necessarily mean you own one to shoot people. It's the same thinking behind carrying a knife or taking self-defense classes. You don't ever want to be in a situation where you need them, but at least you're prepared.

Hunting - Yes, people do hunt with handguns. Or people carry handguns while they're hunting to protect themselves against dangerous animals. Again, not shooting people.

Sport shooting - Yes there are a whole lot of people that shoot paper targets. And a whole lot of people that do competitions with handguns. They don't shoot people in those competitions do they?

Since handguns are for shooting people only, what are rifles and shotguns used for? What's the difference in me carrying a handgun concealed and a rifle/shotgun in the passenger seat?

That being said, I'm sticking to my guns (no pun intended).....Guns don't kill people, knives don't kill people, even hockey sticks don't kill people. People kill people.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Look, I'm not sure why you're getting so angry - its not something I came up with, our Supreme Court has taken that position. Which is why handguns remain prohibited in Canada.

I just don't agree with your arguments but I recogize that we come from very different places. Knives have their place, martial arts has their place. Guns? Well, that we will disagree on. The idea of carrying a gun (even a shot gun in the passenger seat) it pretty foreign to me, even coming from training and a family of hunters.

Oh, and I completely agree with your final statement. People kill people. That's why I don't think they need guns to make it easier.

ETA: Oh, and I just realized that this post is in the "hunting and firearm" section. Didn't realize there was such a thing. So, I'll stop being such a buzz kill and head on out to other sections.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Look, I'm not sure why you're getting so angry - its not something I came up with, our Supreme Court has taken that position. Which is why handguns remain prohibited in Canada.

I just don't agree with your arguments but I recogize that we come from very different places. Knives have their place, martial arts has their place. Guns? Well, that we will disagree on. The idea of carrying a gun (even a shot gun in the passenger seat) it pretty foreign to me, even coming from training and a family of hunters.

Oh, and I completely agree with your final statement. People kill people. That's why I don't think they need guns to make it easier.

ETA: Oh, and I just realized that this post is in the "hunting and firearm" section. Didn't realize there was such a thing. So, I'll stop being such a buzz kill and head on out to other sections.
I'm not angry, I just don't agree with you. But that's fine. We'll agree to disagree.

I just hate it when anti-gun people make comments that aren't true, like:

"Handguns have no other purpose than to shoot people"
Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
I'm not angry, I just don't agree with you. But that's fine. We'll agree to disagree.

I just hate it when anti-gun people make comments that aren't true, like:

"Handguns have no other purpose than to shoot people"
Like you said, we'll agree to disagree. I think "truth" can be a very relative thing.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like you said, we'll agree to disagree. I think "truth" can be a very relative thing.
It's not a "truth" it's called an opinion. As they say in this country "You are entitled to you own opinion. But, you are not entitled to your own facts."

If "Handguns have no other purpose than to shoot people." why are there handgun shooting events in the Olympic Games? They don't shoot people. Are they just practicing to shoot people? And there are even Canadians participating in that sport. Like Avianna Chao for example. Surely she's not going around Canada shooting people. Wouldn't they lock her up in jail for doing that? Isn't that illegal in Canada?

The IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation) is based in Ontario Canada. It is the governing body for international target shooting competitions around the world. Where believe it or not they shoot at paper targets instead of people.

Why would anyone make hunting ammunition for handguns since there is no place where hunting of people is allowed?

Look, you are entitled to your opinions about handguns. But, the facts are that there are other purposes for handguns than just shooting people.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Junkie

well said spence
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Handguns have no other purpose than to shoot people. And it doesn't sit well with me that anyone who is licensed can carry one loaded and concealed.
Only purpose is to shoot people? Dang, all mine must be defective!

And wow, I bet you couldn't sit here in Vermont at all, we don't need a permit to carry concealed, or openly. I prefer open, it's much more liberating, kinda like going commando.
Funny thing is gun crime is virtually unheard of here.

Remember, in the words of Robert A. Heinlein "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option to handle the teenagers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVsFKbxKvBg

Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spencenaz
It's not a "truth" it's called an opinion. As they say in this country "You are entitled to you own opinion. But, you are not entitled to your own facts."

If "Handguns have no other purpose than to shoot people." why are there handgun shooting events in the Olympic Games? They don't shoot people. Are they just practicing to shoot people? And there are even Canadians participating in that sport. Like Avianna Chao for example. Surely she's not going around Canada shooting people. Wouldn't they lock her up in jail for doing that? Isn't that illegal in Canada?

The IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation) is based in Ontario Canada. It is the governing body for international target shooting competitions around the world. Where believe it or not they shoot at paper targets instead of people.

Why would anyone make hunting ammunition for handguns since there is no place where hunting of people is allowed?

Look, you are entitled to your opinions about handguns. But, the facts are that there are other purposes for handguns than just shooting people.

I was not at all trying to say that my OPINION was the truth or facts. I was commenting on someone else's reference to their OPINION as truth. That's all. I could easily start flinging up statistics that support my OPINION but at the end of the day, the reality is that we all have different opinions on this subject that are very much influenced by where we live and, in my case, the job I do and the experiences I have had. I will be the first to admit that I would probably be a lot more comfortable carrying if I was raised in a place where it was common place. I'm not making a judgment call, I was initially talking about my own comfort level. And a realization of how foreign a concept it is to me. That's it.

With respect to the comment made by our Court regarding the purpose of handguns, I believe it was made (or I accept it) in the context of carrying in an everyday environment. I think there are few people in urban Canada who will head out to hunt on their way to work. Certainly there are those in rual areas that will do that and that is a different thing all together.

I am well aware of the target shooting clubs that currently exist. I say currently because our local gov't is trying to pass legislation to ban those as well. And even for those who target shoot in Canada, you are not allowed to carry your weapon on you when traveling to and from. Nor is it allowed to be loaded.

I think I have repeatedly attempted to limit this to what I feel. But heaven forbid someone have a differing opinion.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, i no longer get paid to shoot at people, so I go to the range as often as I can and instead shoot paper people.*L*

And yes, i think target practice is a fun pastime.

I know people have different opinions on this. That's fine with me, I'll respect yours if you respect mine, but dont force them on me in the form of idiotic, inane, useless legislation that only benefits a criminal, and I wont say boo about it. I think that is about as fair as I can be about it.

No lets go Jeepin'

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?