Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spencenaz
I also have a weapon that allows me to safely carry chambered (H&K USP Compact). You can't say that about every handgun. My first carry gun (CZ75B) wasn't as safe to carry loaded, and I did not carry it that way as often.
This is not meant to be argumentative, but:

Being not totally unfamiliar with handguns; I have shot both the CZ 75 and the USP, I know a couple of people that carry the CZ, and no one that carries the USP(not a reflection on the USP, I just don't know anyone that carries one, that is ALL I mean by that). Other than my desire to own one of every gun ever manufactured (a goal I am hopelessly behind schedule of ever fulfilling), I have no real interest in either one, so other than casual contact, and a few gun rag articles, I am not that well aquatinted with them.

<deep breath>

Now my main carry gun is a 70 Series 1911 cocked and locked. This 1911 is way past the point where it'$ value demands it's retirement as a carry weapon(but then I know a guy who still carries an original SSA Colt revolver, so go figure), and I'm slowly transitioning to a SIG 226(but I see a 220 in the near futureI prefer a .45). Right now, for me, I find the cocked and locked Colt 1911 safer to carry then the SIG. The Colt has been my companion for years, I know it's manual of arms - cold, everything falls into hand perfectly every time. The SIG is........not naturally familar, yet. So, in terms of, an ND/AD for me, the Colt is the safer pistol to carry.

<pause>

What can I say, it's a cruddy rainy day, I need to entertain myself, that is why a simple question is taking me for ever to actually ask.

<unpause>

Now here is the question:

Is there some design flaw in the CZ 75B that causes you to call it's safety into question? Or is it the design, or some feature of the H&K that makes you feel carrying it makes you less likely to bust a cap when you don't mean to?
IS there something actually wrong with the CZ, or is it the H&K is just 'more right' for YOU?

That's all, just wondering, and bored, and feeling 'gunny' more then 'jeepy' today. Think I'll go sniff the 'Origonal Scent' Hoppe'smaybe get some chinee?
Old 07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spencenaz
Sounds to me like you handled yourself alright.

I think you can work yourself up watching too much crime TV. But, it does teach you to be aware of your surroundings.

The AF guy is full of crap, or himself, or both. Besides those guys don't get a millisecond of TACTICAL firearms training anyway. Shooting an M-16 on the range a couple time a year doesn't count as tactical training. He probably would shat himself if faced with a real threat.

As for carrying locked and loaded. That is a tough call as a general question because there are too many variables. I have been a CCW holder in various states for a bunch of years. When I am in a state where I have a CCW or a state that has reciprocity, I always have my weapon locked and loaded. If I am in a state where my CCW doesn't apply like California, I never do. I feel uncomfortable to say the least when I don't have it loaded. But, it is not an easy decision when you run the risk of a serious run in with the law. A simple traffic offense in CA could become big trouble in a bug hurry.

I also have a weapon that allows me to safely carry chambered (H&K USP Compact). You can't say that about every handgun. My first carry gun (CZ75B) wasn't as safe to carry loaded, and I did not carry it that way as often.

You are going to find a lot of folks that will tell you to carry chambered, and perhaps a few that tell you not to. But, it really comes down to what YOU feel comfortable doing. Comfortable in terms of safety, legality, peace of mind, etc.

The best advice is to get training-training-training, and practice-practice-practice. Nothing will help you more than the confidence that training and practice will give you.

Have good equipment. If you don't feel safe carrying a handgun loaded you might have the wrong handgun. Try something with a de-cocker or a DAO. A lot of ranges rent guns. Try some different ones out. Even if you really like the one you currently carry. You might find something you like even more.

well, i purchased an XD9 SC for carrying one in the chamber. i did alot of research and found the XD to have more safety features than most guns (trigger safety, firing pin block, grip safety, loaded chamber indicator). on top of that, the XD has proven to be reliable and durable (20,000 round test was interesting). i have been carry the XD9 SC for a few weeks now with one in the chamber and i feel much more confident in this weapon.

also, at the suggestion of several people on jk-forum and texaschlforum, i will be taking the next defensive handgun training class i can find. the CHL class is fine, but does not cover the topics that the defensive handgun class will.

i still have and carry the P3AT when i have too. and lets face it....it's 100 degrees in TX right now so i've been carrying it in shorts and t-shirt more than a few times kel-tecs seem to have questionable reliablility. i have had a few issues with my kel-tecs but will soon be moving to a Ruger LCP once those have all the kinks worked out. i carry the P3AT in a pocket holster but do not keep it chambered. something about the small size and cheap feeling of the gun that i don't trust.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jose Dosil
i'd be curious as to what your small "arsenal" really is since you pointed this out as well. and to tout your shooting skills as well? who does that???? and to tout your shooting skills in the state of NC???? that's like saying you were the top rated snow skiier in FL.

Leave Us Floridians alone You did the right thing.I also carry a Weapon in all my vehicles and in my Home.I dont have extensive training with them,but I know how to use them and I will,If my or my Families life depended on it.Its coments like DZNTS made that get people in trouble.If he acts like that on the JEEP Forum I can just Imagine how he is in real Life. I am not one to show my Firearm in anger,I always say the day it comes out,It will be used!
The world is a scary place and anybodies life can be threatened @ anytime.I beleive you handled yourself very well and did the right thing
sorry, i guess i could have said TX....oh yeah, did i mention that in highschool i was the #1 skiier in TX??

i can't agree more with the following statement:

"I am not one to show my Firearm in anger,I always say the day it comes out,It will be used!"
Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yetibear

Now here is the question:

Is there some design flaw in the CZ 75B that causes you to call it's safety into question? Or is it the design, or some feature of the H&K that makes you feel carrying it makes you less likely to bust a cap when you don't mean to?
IS there something actually wrong with the CZ, or is it the H&K is just 'more right' for YOU?

That's all, just wondering, and bored, and feeling 'gunny' more then 'jeepy' today. Think I'll go sniff the 'Origonal Scent' Hoppe'smaybe get some chinee?

I absolutely love my CZ75, so I would certainly never trash it as a carry gun. But, the standard model requires you to either leave it cocked in SA and use the safety only or drop the hammer manually. Newer versions have decockers, but mine does not. I like DA/SA with a decocker for carrying like the USP (and lots of others). It's a personal preference on my part. I have three "carry" guns. One DAO, one DA/SA without a decocker, and a DA/SA with the decoker. Of those the latter is my favorite. But, all three are safe guns for carry.

I never felt completely comfortable manually dropping the hammer on the 75. Even though I've done it a hundred times without a problem. Decocker for me just brings peace of mind that I will never accidentally shoot my bedroom floor, or the floor of my JK.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
well, i purchased an XD9 SC for carrying one in the chamber. i did alot of research and found the XD to have more safety features than most guns (trigger safety, firing pin block, grip safety, loaded chamber indicator). on top of that, the XD has proven to be reliable and durable (20,000 round test was interesting). i have been carry the XD9 SC for a few weeks now with one in the chamber and i feel much more confident in this weapon.

also, at the suggestion of several people on jk-forum and texaschlforum, i will be taking the next defensive handgun training class i can find. the CHL class is fine, but does not cover the topics that the defensive handgun class will.

i still have and carry the P3AT when i have too. and lets face it....it's 100 degrees in TX right now so i've been carrying it in shorts and t-shirt more than a few times kel-tecs seem to have questionable reliablility. i have had a few issues with my kel-tecs but will soon be moving to a Ruger LCP once those have all the kinks worked out. i carry the P3AT in a pocket holster but do not keep it chambered. something about the small size and cheap feeling of the gun that i don't trust.
The XD9 SC is a fine choice for a carry gun. I would have no issues from an equipment standpoint carrying that locked and loaded.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh my. Some days I'm glad I live in Canada. I've been trained with a semi-automatic and I'm happy to admit that holding that thing scared the living daylights out of me. To be able to cause such damage to a person ... I cannot imagine driving around with "one in the chamber".
Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gypsy
... I cannot imagine driving around with "one in the chamber".
I can't imagine.....Not. I excersize my right to do so every day. There are maybe 10-15 days in an average year that I don't carry.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too keep a loaded firearm in my jeep. The only time its not there is when the doors are off, then I usually keep it on my person. Sometime I'll just leave it home...I keep a gun for protection, not because I'm paranoid. I typically have one in the chamber ready to fire. Guns don't accidentally fire, people do.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gypsy
Oh my. Some days I'm glad I live in Canada. I've been trained with a semi-automatic and I'm happy to admit that holding that thing scared the living daylights out of me. To be able to cause such damage to a person ... I cannot imagine driving around with "one in the chamber".
you do realize that your vehicle causes damage to people right? car wrecks, pollution, etc.

just some food for thought. in Texas you can legally drive with alcohol in your system as long as you are below the legal limit. but you cannot carry a gun if you've had one drop of alcohol.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
you do realize that your vehicle causes damage to people right? car wrecks, pollution, etc.

just some food for thought. in Texas you can legally drive with alcohol in your system as long as you are below the legal limit. but you cannot carry a gun if you've had one drop of alcohol.
Riiiggght. Actually, my vehicle can cause damage to people (pollution, really? you're comparing that to a gun?) if in an accident but it also has other uses. Primary uses. Like driving.

Handguns have no other purpose than to shoot people. And it doesn't sit well with me that anyone who is licensed can carry one loaded and concealed. And I certainly wouldn't want to carry one, having seen first hand the damage they can accidentally do. That's all. Different countries, different opinions.

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?