Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cesar
is it legal to have a round in the pipe in Texas??

If it is...wish it was here in California. We have so many stupid laws.
hahahahaha. no it's not illegal.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
hahahahaha. no it's not illegal.
You must help write the drafts for gun laws, using those double negatives to disguise your meaning.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

It sounds to me like you have some irrational fear issues. Scared people with guns are worse than the criminals. Scared people shoot because they don't know what to do in a situation usualy killing someone because they were incapable of handling/ thinking through a situation. Criminals know exactly why they are shooting at some one. Go see a shrink talk about whatever happened in your past to make you so afraid of "2 scary looking guys, and a car full of teenagers" and put your gun back in the top of your closet .

I am not a bleeding heart liberal FYI. I am a SSgt in the USAF. I own a small armory of weapons. I was a competitive .22 cal rifle marksman on my high schools' FFA team and placed 4th in the state of NC in 1996 (before columbine scools were allowed to have rifle, skeet/trap, and archery teams).

I just can't stand people who walk arround with the ability to end some ones life straped to their hip and will use it because they don't want to loose their wallet.

F it take my wallet I can get a new one (don't need to kill that guy pheewww that was close!).

F it throw a plastic bottle at my Jeep because you are most likely drunk and young (don't need to kill that guy pheewww that was close!).

OMG those guys are "SCARY LOOKING" (?????..... grow a pair! don't need to kill those guys pheewww that was close!).

For a person with such an itchy trigger finger you must have seen the movie Shoot-em Up. I want you to try and recall the hero's tagline. I would type it but the admins would bann me for the profanity.

And remember if you shoot "2 scarry looking guys" for being scary looking you are the criminal and society WILL execute YOU!

See you at the range.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DZNTS
It sounds to me like you have some irrational fear issues. Scared people with guns are worse than the criminals. Scared people shoot because they don't know what to do in a situation usualy killing someone because they were incapable of handling/ thinking through a situation. Criminals know exactly why they are shooting at some one. Go see a shrink talk about whatever happened in your past to make you so afraid of "2 scary looking guys, and a car full of teenagers" and put your gun back in the top of your closet .

I am not a bleeding heart liberal FYI. I am a SSgt in the USAF. I own a small armory of weapons. I was a competitive .22 cal rifle marksman on my high schools' FFA team and placed 4th in the state of NC in 1996 (before columbine scools were allowed to have rifle, skeet/trap, and archery teams).

I just can't stand people who walk arround with the ability to end some ones life straped to their hip and will use it because they don't want to loose their wallet.

F it take my wallet I can get a new one (don't need to kill that guy pheewww that was close!).

F it throw a plastic bottle at my Jeep because you are most likely drunk and young (don't need to kill that guy pheewww that was close!).

OMG those guys are "SCARY LOOKING" (?????..... grow a pair! don't need to kill those guys pheewww that was close!).

For a person with such an itchy trigger finger you must have seen the movie Shoot-em Up. I want you to try and recall the hero's tagline. I would type it but the admins would bann me for the profanity.

And remember if you shoot "2 scarry looking guys" for being scary looking you are the criminal and society WILL execute YOU!

See you at the range.
Geeze, have you ever considered anger management counseling?

He didn't shoot at anyone, he didn't branish, and it doesn't sound like he wet himself. He was describing a situation he found himself in and asking advice. This is not THR with it's pages and pages of improbable what if scenarios. In case you missed it, this is a Jeep forum, we don't hang out in our kevlar and Blackwater tactikool web gear thumping our chests, and belittling others because they left their assault wheelbarrows in the Jeep. And we don't play mall ninjia using our High School experiences to prove our weapon prowess to grown men.

I'm sure bcperry is truly upset he doesn't score well in your measure of manlyness, but hell, I don't get all dewy eyed over High School rifle team members either.

And just what do you use to set your readiness condition level? "Scary looking men" might tend to raise mine a notch, being followed, tailgated, by a car load of drunks, regardless of their age, throwing things at me and my vehicle, flashing lights, blowing horn, these things may elevate my readiness condition a notch or two.
I'm more than willing to give bcperry the benefit of the doubt, and say he carries the stones of a reasonable man. I was not there, I don't know the neighbor hood he was in, the local crime levels, or the history of violence in his area. But I have lived long enough to admit that there are "scary looking" people in this world, and that some of them are more then willing to commit violence on others for either/both profit and fun. Profiling is not a bad thing, heightened awareness is a good skill to develop. he didn't needlessly pull a gun on anyone, but he was aware of his surroundings. You may be too tactikewl, but describe the people in the 3 closest vehicles from the last light you stopped at.

I always find the wallet thing interesting, if you walk up to me on the street and ask me for my wallet, I'm going to tell you no, and we will both go on our way, I'm not going to kill you for asking, I won't even threaten you for asking, it never hurts to ask. My wallet is not worth killing you over..........however, if I say no, and you, in some way use the threat of violence to force me to give you my wallet, obviously YOU think my wallet is worth killing me, you place a value of my life as less then my wallet. You show me you place a lesser value on my life than my wallet, I now fear for my life and yours is forfit. Besides, if you take my wallet, you get my drivers license, now I gotta go to motor vehicles, that is a fate worse than death, people have been killed for less.

Since you were not there, it's kind of immature of you to call anyone a scared, capon in need of a shrink. Since he did seem capable of thinking his way thru, and did handle the situation in a perfectly acceptable manner, perhaps it is your reading comprehension skills that need the tweaking and not his tecticular fortitude.

I have no problem with someone that has the ability to end some criminals life in order to protect his property.

I may give you my wallet, but I am NOT going to let you take it from me.

Throw a plastic bottle at my Jeep, I'm going on my way. A car full of drunks throw a bottle at my Jeep, follow me, tailgating, horn blowing, lights flashing, I'm going to attempt to get myself to a place of safety, but if I am forced to stop at a location not of my choosing, and they can't be warned off, and they do advance on me and I do fear for my safety, I WILL shoot them.

I see a couple of guys that strike me as "scary looking" I am going to observe their actions. I'm going to keep a wary eye on them, I will prepare myself, mentally, to counter any threat they pose. Something made me uncomfortable about them, something made bcperry uncomfortable, but he didn't draw on them, he didn't scream or even bust the light to get away from them. He observed their actions, and when they removed themselves as a threat he shifted his focus elsewhere. He did exactly what he should have done, his actions were proper and correct.

Since he never pulled his weapon, or threatened anyone in any way I won't even dignify your "itchy trigger finger" crack, with a response. Nor do I think he needs to fear a state execution as, and pay attention to this, he did nothing, no one so much as saw his weapon. He observed, that is it, that is all he did. He was aware of his souroundings, that is not even a crime in New York City.

Did bcperry make some glaring mistakes, yes, and he knows that and that was why he was asking. He was looking for some helpful advice, not looking to have his manhood questioned by a former High School Sharpshooter, with a small(lol) arsenal.

Maybe you could have garnered a little respect by explaining a pistol carried in condition 3 is just an inefficient club. Or maybe you could have told him what a poor choice of staging areas he seemed to select for his weapon. A gun in the cup holder invites your witnessing it skedaddle out of reach just when you find you need it in your hand the most. A good secure place capable of retaining your weapon, in an accident, is needed in order to assure the grip comes to hand if it is ever needed. And we need not even get in to how fool hardy trying to chamber a round, when the fear is starting to affect you. An ND looms large in those moments.

bcperry definitely needs more training,don't we all, but he proved his basic instincts are good, and his judgement sound. He is aware of his surroundings, observes the people around him. He was fearful and nervous but never seemed to panic. Some good training and a lot of practice, he will become comfortable with his weapon, he will come to believe, way down deep, that the gun will never fire all by it self, and in his heart he will come to know that, that gun will not fire until he pulls the trigger, and he will not pull that trigger unless he means to shoot something.

You train and practice with your carry weapon, you'll get comfortable with it. You got stones bcperry, don't let anyone tell you different. I'd ride the river with you anytime.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by DZNTS

See you at the range.
Wow!

DZNTS's Blurbs About me:
I have no moral hang-ups about killng, death and destruction so please no shit about any of it.
Are you talking about the kind of shit you gave bcperry2000?

Last edited by Robar; 07-21-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Edited upon request.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Wow!

Are you talking about the kind of shit you gave bcperry2000?
I think you made me wet myself.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

hahahaha, wow i just got caught up and can't believe DZNTS comments. first of all, thanks to Yetibear and Robar for backing me up. i appreciate and agree with your comments.

as to DZNTS....wow. you must have had a troubled life or something. being in the AF i'm a little disappointed in your comments. both of my parents are retired AF (Master SGT and Major since we're throwing ranks for some reason???) of 20+ years and neither would agree with you and be extremely disappointed in your statements. you say you're not a bleeding heart liberal but you sure sound like one.

i'd be curious as to what your small "arsenal" really is since you pointed this out as well. and to tout your shooting skills as well? who does that???? and to tout your shooting skills in the state of NC???? that's like saying you were the top rated snow skiier in FL.

please, please show me statistics where armed citizens are more of an issue than criminals. you won't find any. so you are just making bogus assumptions.

do i look at people and assess them? yes
if someone looks fishy or out of place do i watch them? yes
if that someone threatens my life or my family's life will i use deadly force. h3!! yes

i can't believe you can actually say these things though. truly shows your ignorance. to imply that i have no b@lls because i carry a gun is just ignorant. you'll continue to think this way until something (god forbid) happens to you.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOW, I was going to put my 2 cents worth in but it looks like my feelings about a certain person's ranting have been said. Sure hope DZNTS never has to protect himself or others..
And there is alwasy one in the chamber otherwise the weapon is not loaded.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
So yesterday I had to work late until about 12:45am. I live close to downtown Dallas so am going south on 75. I exit Mockingbird as usual and the first thought that pops into my head is the possibilty of a homeless person being on the corner.

Normally, this would not bother me. BUT, I have the top and doors off and it's close to 1am. Homeless people can be mentally ill sometimes so I'm wary of them when I'm exposed. So I pull up to the light and to my left is a guy on a bike with his girlfriend. Behind them is a car full of highschool/college kids. To my right are 2 scary looking guys. In the middle of the day this would not have scared me as much, but I've seen enough episodes of Cops and First 48 to know that Dallas is dangerous at night. I have my Kel-Tec P3AT wedged between my seat and the console. I felt very nervous so I slowly reach down and load one in the chamber. I never carry one in the chamber because I am so paranoid about an accidental discharge. This is probably my mistake, but I still haven't grown comfortable with the idea of carrying loaded. Especially relying on the long trigger pull as the only safety. Anyway, regardless....

So I put one in the chamber, place it in my cup holder and pray for the light to turn. In the meantime, the car of highschool/college kids have lowered all their windows and started heckling the couple next to me. Whistling and yelling. I don't turn and look for fear that they'll start on me.

Well, light turns green and I turn left along with the car of punks. The scary guys on the right of me go straight so they're no longer an issue. As I'm making the turn I see a kid throw his plastic bottle at me. Misses and hits the back of my jeep. I still try to avoid eye contact and act as if I dont even notice. At this point I'm sweating and really nervous. I'm trying to drive slower so they'll just pass me, but they make it a point to stay right with me, heckling me the entire time. Calling me all kinds of names, etc. So I speed up to get away from them and they pull in behind me right on my tail. Honking and flashing, I think they were trying to get me to pull over into the parking lot on our right and start something. So I keep driving and eventually they do turn into the empty parking lot. I continue home, unload my gun, and do my best to sleep.

Even this morning I'm still a little shaken up. I've never been so afraid for my life. They didnt physically harm me or anything so I did not feel justified in exposing my weapon. Maybe it's all the Cops and First 48 I've been watching, but I am scared to try driving at night with the top and doors off now. I'm also reconsidering my carrying style of not keeping one in the chamber. I feel like if something were to have happened last night, my weapon would have been worthless had I not loaded one. So I'm thinking I may start looking at a new CCW that has some safety features that I'm comfortable enough with to start carrying loaded (besides a long trigger pull). Any suggestions?
Sounds to me like you handled yourself alright.

I think you can work yourself up watching too much crime TV. But, it does teach you to be aware of your surroundings.

The AF guy is full of crap, or himself, or both. Besides those guys don't get a millisecond of TACTICAL firearms training anyway. Shooting an M-16 on the range a couple time a year doesn't count as tactical training. He probably would shat himself if faced with a real threat.

As for carrying locked and loaded. That is a tough call as a general question because there are too many variables. I have been a CCW holder in various states for a bunch of years. When I am in a state where I have a CCW or a state that has reciprocity, I always have my weapon locked and loaded. If I am in a state where my CCW doesn't apply like California, I never do. I feel uncomfortable to say the least when I don't have it loaded. But, it is not an easy decision when you run the risk of a serious run in with the law. A simple traffic offense in CA could become big trouble in a bug hurry.

I also have a weapon that allows me to safely carry chambered (H&K USP Compact). You can't say that about every handgun. My first carry gun (CZ75B) wasn't as safe to carry loaded, and I did not carry it that way as often.

You are going to find a lot of folks that will tell you to carry chambered, and perhaps a few that tell you not to. But, it really comes down to what YOU feel comfortable doing. Comfortable in terms of safety, legality, peace of mind, etc.

The best advice is to get training-training-training, and practice-practice-practice. Nothing will help you more than the confidence that training and practice will give you.

Have good equipment. If you don't feel safe carrying a handgun loaded you might have the wrong handgun. Try something with a de-cocker or a DAO. A lot of ranges rent guns. Try some different ones out. Even if you really like the one you currently carry. You might find something you like even more.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

i'd be curious as to what your small "arsenal" really is since you pointed this out as well. and to tout your shooting skills as well? who does that???? and to tout your shooting skills in the state of NC???? that's like saying you were the top rated snow skiier in FL.

Leave Us Floridians alone You did the right thing.I also carry a Weapon in all my vehicles and in my Home.I dont have extensive training with them,but I know how to use them and I will,If my or my Families life depended on it.Its coments like DZNTS made that get people in trouble.If he acts like that on the JEEP Forum I can just Imagine how he is in real Life. I am not one to show my Firearm in anger,I always say the day it comes out,It will be used!
The world is a scary place and anybodies life can be threatened @ anytime.I beleive you handled yourself very well and did the right thing

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?