Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
i just picked up a Springfield Armory XD9 Subcompact.

i gotta tell you. after reading the specs on it and the torture tests, i feel pretty comfortable carrying it with a round in the chamber. here's an idea of what safety features it has:

Trigger Safety
Grip Safety (controls trigger AND slide)
Out of battery Safety
Firing Pin Block
Striker Indicator
Loaded Chamber indicator

all that combined with a good holster and I don't think there's a better gun out there, safety wise. that's not to say that accidents can happen but all the features of the XD make it just a little harder to accidentally discharge when compared to other handguns. everyone knows that the #1 safety is between your ears, but we are human and have been known to error.

i love my Kel-Tec P3AT but i don't trust it. i've had the XD9 for a week and trust it completely. not to mention uncanny reliability and a lifetime warranty. AND if you haven't read about the 20,000 round torture test you need to read this. they tortured this more than they did the glock and it passed all tests with flying colors:

http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php

P.S. forgot to mention. the XDs all come with a nice case, 2 magazines, speedloader, holster, and mag holster. all for less than $500.
My son has the XD Subcompact in .40 S&W and he loves it. Reliable, accurate, small enough to hide in an inside the waistband holster. Wondering why you didn't go for the .40 instead of the 9, the size is the same?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
....Wondering why you didn't go for the .40 instead of the 9, the size is the same?
$$$. i can shoot way more 9mm. it's gotten to the point that i shoot mostly 9mm and .22lr with the price of ammo. i think i could have gotten the XD40 and swapped in a 9mm barrel, but i'd rather carry what i shoot and leave the plinking to the .22lr.

at first i was a little concerned with the size and weight. it's not thin or lightweight by any means. but if you ever run out of ammo in a gun fight, you could throw it and it would do some serious damage i did carry it for about 6 hrs yesterday while i was moving and forgot it was there t hough. and that was in a cheapo IWB holster and a flimsy belt. a good holster would be even better.

Last edited by bcperry2000; 07-01-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
My son has the XD Subcompact in .40 S&W and he loves it. Reliable, accurate, small enough to hide in an inside the waistband holster. Wondering why you didn't go for the .40 instead of the 9, the size is the same?
The .40 is a waste. Most of the higher end 9mm ammo has better ballistic testing than most .40 and .45. Plus as far as control of the weapon goes, the 9mm is easier to manage with recoil for better shot placement. The .40 is a necked down 10mm round and just a little to snappy
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

No one mentioned my favorite defence technique....shooting to kill. Just kidding probably.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey BCPerry, I know right where you are talking about... been there many times. Although I am a very avid supporter of CCW and I carry daily, I just don't carry one in the pipe. I know it is not tactically the smartest thing to do, but I try my best to follow the same advice that Happy has given... SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Though I do not carry mine chambered I have chambered it many times, depending on the situation. I have been in IDPA matches and understand the different situations. I know of people who have defended their life with their sidearm and in a situation or two, they would not have been able to chamber their pistol (gun pointed to head through car window, gun between seat and console, thug looked away for half second... bam). The decision to carry chambered or not is a decision each person has to make on their own.

As far as Glock goes... I WOULD ONLY CARRY A GLOCK CHAMBERED, IF IT WAS IN A HOLSTER.... too many people have stuck their GLOCK between their seat or in a pocket and had a pencil or other object depress the trigger and discharge their firearm. This is why I do not like Glocks... even though I own one. I would be an educated gun owner and use what you know about your particular firearm before carrying it chambered and blowing your nuts off.

To the member who advocated BRANDISHING A FIREARM... please do not do this. It is against the law. They could have called the cops, their word against yours... and trust me... he will take their word. Owning and carrying a firearm is a duty. If you are in a situation and you use the weapon to shoot someone, you better be damn sure that was your last option. If you pull over to argue with someone and shoot them, it will be hard to justify in court. If someone ran your vehicle off the road, and into that parking lot, then that is probably justifiable. If you are in fear for your life, or the life of others, then you are justified in using you weapon. CCW is a huge responsibility.

BCPerry, you did great by not brandishing your firearm. I agree with others on the look thing though! LOL. I think I would have not drawn my weapon... but I would have had a hard time not brake jobbing them or dragging a punk ass bitch out of a car and beating his ass with that plastic bottle. Douchebags! Anyway... take care and get a fake beard... a patch over one eye, and those fake tatoo sleeves the next time you drive out that late and exposed.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Default Pepper Spray

For what it is worth be careful carrying pepper spray in a vehicle. I used to do a lot of archery hunting of bears and got in a habit of carrying pepper sray in my jeep at all times. One morning I got up and went out to the jeep and the can had went off on it's own. God knows what would of happened if I had been going 70 down the freeway. Just use caution.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Naval Security Forces Training

Here, they are using OC spray about 4 times that of what most police carry, that guy still looks pretty effective. I have used my OC can as an impact weapon more that I have sprayed it (an I have never sprayed it). When I was sprayed in the Academy, I was sprayed by (4) instructors using 1/2 a can each on me. I still disabled the threat who was an active resister and was able to secure him and radio for help. OC spray is not effective.

.45 vs 9mm
Old 07-06-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have carried an internal hammered, no safety, .40 for about 11 years now. I always used to keep one chambered.....then I had kids. He is not old/strong enough to put one in the chamber and I can get it done in half second. As far as pulling/showing it to those kids, I always work off the theory don't pull it unless you plan to use it. And don't use it to scare, you never know if someone in that car was also carrying and decided they feared for their life and shot at you.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it legal to have a round in the pipe in Texas??

If it is...wish it was here in California. We have so many stupid laws.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cesar
is it legal to have a round in the pipe in Texas??

If it is...wish it was here in California. We have so many stupid laws.
I live about as far from California as you can get, so I am not to familiar with their laws, but I thought that the empty chamber was for OC.(?) But I have no reason to be current on Cali. carry laws so I am most likely mistaken in my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?