Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I always keep one in the chamber. ALWAYS.

I carry a Glock 19, or my HK USP Compact interchangeably.

The Glock obviously has no external safety. I admittadly was at first, but I am no longer nervous with it. Keep in mind though, it is an ease of use thing. Especially where you admitted to being rattled, had you needed it, would you have been in the right mind enough to click off a manual safety? I have had oodles of training, and I know that i might not have been.

I was always a revolver guy growing up, but i like the auto's for carry, just my personal pref.

Pepper Spray is a great addition. but i dont view it as an option. The gun and the spray are simply tools, you just need to us the right one with the right application. You dont need a sledgehammer to put in a finishing nail (as fun as that may be...)

In my opinion, especially at night or alone in a scary area, your best weapon isnt a gun, or pepper spray, or a swat team in your back seat.

It is situational awareness.

When you pull up to a light, stay back from the car ahead of you, there are no extra points for conserving pavement. If you are on a road with more than two lanes, be on the outside lane, left or right doesnt matter. if someone is in a left turn center lane, dont be in the left lane next to them. The whole point is, Always leave yourself an escape route, leave room to turn and floor it. If you get scared, LEAVE. Make sure no ones is coming first and run the damn light, hop the curb, make an illegal U turn, whatever. Just LEAVE. In my opinion, a tactical retreat bears no shame at all.

I know and work around a lot of Cops, i dont know a one who would give you a ticket for bolting from a percieved dangerous situation, and even if you got caught blowing off a redlight to get out of Dodge, who cares?, pay the fine, go home and hug your wife/kids/jeep. Tomorrow is a new day. You'll be there to see it.

I try to teach my kids this as we drive, feeling the same way on all of the points you made. I also tell them not to get gas or go to the store after dark, and only go to places where there are a lot of people in well lit areas.

They think I'm paranoid.

But as an anesthesiologist, I see the end result of what mean people do to their victims. It is not necessarily a random occurrence (I think most people who get hurt late at night were not at home in bed minding their own business,...), but even innocent people become involved at some point. There is little respect for life, nor fear of the law and punishment.

Chambered is the way to go.

There is a book that should be read,...

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Defense...3480176&sr=8-1

Check it out.

Staying out of trouble is ALWAYS easier than getting out of trouble.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you are going to carry, have one in the chamber.
You may not have time to chamber a round.
Good idea with the pepper spray I will be getting some for my jeep.

And this is also a good point, the real threat may not be the most obvious one. Am I right that you thought the tough guys where going to be the problem?
I've had alot of violent run'ins with people and it was when I wasn't armed.
If I had been it would have only changed the outcome if they had been armed.
Defend yourself!
The police cannot protect you, only pick up the pieces afterward.

And one other thing, that adrenaline is a wicked thing.
I've had to go and run to get it out of my system. I would just sit there and shake like I was on a super caffeine rush.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Freak

Driving through the City I carry on my hip (a perk being the police) sometimes though, it gets clunky and in the way. I usually would stow it near the emergency brake or lay it on the passenger seat, but when the window is open and you aren't paying attention things could go wrong quick. So when I installed my seat covers I inadvertently installed them on the wrong seats with the side air bag openings facing inward I had a revelation though, and here is what I do, I used the opening as a holster on the side of the seat. I am having zippers installed as to cover up the openings but it works and it is there and easily accessible and concealed. Still not a fan of pepper spray, I have seen one to many guys take it like it was water, and they weren't high.

Now mind you that is my full size duty weapon and not my off duty weapon which is smaller (not by much though)

As far as the comment that was made about the police not being able to protect you, sorry we can't be everywhere at once. I haven't figured out that trick yet.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not knocking you for being careful but I just wanted to add that I have carried my p3at for almost 2 years with a round in the chamber using just the belt clip, clipped inside my pants just behind my hip. Just make sure you are careful I've never even felt as if I were close to having an accidental discharge. Also I have an xd40 4" and have a friend that has the SC I love both and only went with the 4" for comfort accuracy but it is mainly for home protection or in the car on trips I rarely carry it on me though it's just so wide kinda uncomfortable. But it is definatly my favorite gun to shoot. Oh and I feel you handled your situation very well except maybe the phone call to report the little bastards to the cops.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is why Funky town is better than the big D... A thought about Pepper spray~ Your local friendly REI sells Bear Spray, it'll take a grizzly from 20ft. If your gonna spray those SMU kids, might as well do it right and from a distance. If you want a personal showing of such an item, come find me (Matt C) at REI dallas, i'm always trying to avoid actually doing work...
Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone else posted pepper spray may not be the right option. This is very true that is why I carry. I can tell you that if something went bad and you used your weapon on someone. You will be talking to your lawyer. If you have pepper spray on you or in your vehicle you have thought about less than lethal means to protect yourself. This could make your case for the fact that you did not have a Rambo mindset. Everything will be looked at in great detail. The more you have on your side the better. This will also be used against you because you have thought of multiple ways to attack someone (This is the other side of protect yourself).

Proper Training- There is no substitute.
Proper Practice- Application of the training.
Criminals- There is no shortage.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A short training film to sow you it is not always necessary to load your carry weapon. A lot of these moves do require it to be loaded, but some don't.

admittedly stolen from: thehighroad.org
Old 06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi

As far as the bear spray will "take" a grizzly at 20 feet.....yes they will shoot far, but like people, not all grizz care. After smelling and finding it, I've seen them put their face right in, and roll around in it....thought it was great stuff. Didn't bother him at all.
Many times, just the SOUND of the spray can going off is enough to scare them away.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yetibear
A short training film to sow you it is not always necessary to load your carry weapon. A lot of these moves do require it to be loaded, but some don't.

admittedly stolen from: thehighroad.org
Is that not the right way to do it? Hell I have been doing it wrong all these years then.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

i just picked up a Springfield Armory XD9 Subcompact.

i gotta tell you. after reading the specs on it and the torture tests, i feel pretty comfortable carrying it with a round in the chamber. here's an idea of what safety features it has:

Trigger Safety
Grip Safety (controls trigger AND slide)
Out of battery Safety
Firing Pin Block
Striker Indicator
Loaded Chamber indicator

all that combined with a good holster and I don't think there's a better gun out there, safety wise. that's not to say that accidents can happen but all the features of the XD make it just a little harder to accidentally discharge when compared to other handguns. everyone knows that the #1 safety is between your ears, but we are human and have been known to error.

i love my Kel-Tec P3AT but i don't trust it. i've had the XD9 for a week and trust it completely. not to mention uncanny reliability and a lifetime warranty. AND if you haven't read about the 20,000 round torture test you need to read this. they tortured this more than they did the glock and it passed all tests with flying colors:

http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php

P.S. forgot to mention. the XDs all come with a nice case, 2 magazines, speedloader, holster, and mag holster. all for less than $500.

Last edited by bcperry2000; 07-01-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?