Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not willing to bet my life on having time to rack it back to load my weapon in a pressure situation. don't be an IDIOT with your gun and it wont go off. plain and simple. but if im pulling it im using it. no time for nonsense.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
Why do people who have obviously been trained in firearm safety chose to ignore that rule about chambering a round and carrying your weopon. Every firearm manufacturer that I am familiar with tells you not to carry a gun with a round chambered. Every hunting safety course informs you not to chamber a round untill you are ready to pick a target. You can't call a bullet back.

Secondly I'd like to say that I have been trained not to pull a firearm unless I am threatened. So if you have time to react you have time to chamber a round. If a guy is already shooting at you it might be a tiny bit late to pull your gun. Hope he's a bad shot. If a fellow has the drop on ya it might be a little bit safer to keep your hands where he can see them instead of reaching for your piece. this ain't the OLd West and you ain't John Wesley Hardin.

I carry sometimes but always in a holster. I carry a revolver so I don't have to chamber a round. I carry a Ruger cause it won't go off unless you want it to. but that's my personal preference.

Not following basic firearm safety rules is not the thing to do and not the thing to post on a forum where anyone can read it. Children could be reading your posts and think that's the way to live by ignoring the rules if you chose to. I saw where even the Police Officer was advocating ignoring basic firearm safety rules. That must be how so many innocent people get shot by the police.

I'm new to this forum and now I'm shocked by reading the poor choices suggested by some of you.

What is this 1873?? You may not want to run around with a Colt SSA with one up the pipe, and other than a few pieces of crap, an an occasional design flaw that goes unnoticed, what SD handgun IS NOT designed for carrying with a loaded chamber? Take a DA auto, if it was not meant to carry one in the chamber, what is the purpose of having a decocker? In fact, what use is any safety if you are not meant to have one in the chamber? You tell us it's not safe to carry with a chambered round then inform us you carry a revolver with a round under the hammer, is that 'do as I say, not as I do'?
And what are you, an Israeli commando? As far as I know, they are the only one who advocate condition 3 carry.

But we will start at the top.
What manufacturer tells you not to carry with one in the chamber? And even if they do say that for liability purposes, why do the advertise, oh, say a Colt 1911, as having a capacity of 8+1? A BHP as 13+1? These are not wall hangers or safe queens, these are sidearms carried for defense. Hunter Safety courses have little bearing on the discussion here. I have taken a few defensive pistol classes, and it has never even been hinted at, to carry with an empty chamber. A holstered, cocked and locked 1911 is as safe as your Ruger, it will not just 'GO OFF' by it's self either.

Here are your "Golden Rules" of gun safety, learn them, love them. live them.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 years of carry and never had a weapon jump out of a holster and go off.

For general range and hunting safety, I would agree not loading a weapon until you are ready to fire it is good practice.

Warnings from weapon manufacturers are for legal recourse only.

Carry of a loaded weapon for defensive purposes is another subject all together. Having a round in the chamber, with proper training and a proper holster is not only safe but recommended.

I consider the carry of an unloaded weapon a poor choice myself. It seems since you carry a revolver, by your logic you should have one empty chamber on the cylinder when you carry.

Last, if you are a resident of GA, I hope you maintain a Georgia Firearms License and are a member of georgiacarry.org
Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

No I don't have any documented evidence. Just what is in the news. Like Ruby Ridge. Innocent, that would be someone who has not gotten convicted by a jury.

Intentionally shooting someone, like Lon Horiuchi did to Vicky Weaver, kind of by pass all the rules of gun safety. We are not talking about the right or wrong of Ruby Ridge, so a sniper hitting his target is a poor example of proper safety techniques. Or a Cop unintentionally shooting an innocent person, he meant to hit her, and he did.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

No I don't have any documented evidence. Just what is in the news. Like Ruby Ridge. Innocent, that would be someone who has not gotten convicted by a jury.
I really don't follow your logic here. You tell us we are unsafe for carrying a loaded weapon even though you yourself admit to carrying a loaded weapon?

And you insinuate that since some police officers carry loaded weapons that somehow they are more likely to kill innocent people? And you cite as proof of that the Ruby ridge incident? There were no accidental discharges or people killed due to gun safety violations. The incident was extremely tragic, and clearly there were incredible lapses in judgment by the BATF, US Marshalls and the FBI that led to the deaths of three people and a dog who were in fact innocent. But, I don't see any correlation to the subject of this thread.

"Innocent, that would be someone who has not gotten convicted by a jury." is a legal definition of innocence, and is a correct one. However, if Ted Bundy was alive and raping my sister or wife and I kill him, very few people will cry over his innocence. I suppose you would let him just have his way with your wife? Because he is innocent, right?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Honestly, did you just say that everyone who carries a gun is an expert in firearms?
Clearly not since those words are not present in the post. I would never state that which I do not believe to be true. I can personally attest that there are many gun owners and even some concealed carry permit holders who are complete idiots and probably should not own a firearm.

The "Canada card" as you put it was brought up since the country does not allow you to CARRY a firearm legally. And, that is what this thread is about. It has nothing to do with:
  • The way you talk "aboot it"
  • How much we friggin' hate Celine Dion & Alan Thicke
  • The way you call ham, bacon
  • The fact that we are way better than you at ice hockey now even though you invented the sport.
  • Or the fact that Canada is just America's hat. http://boards.ign.com/teh_vestibule/...67509126/p1/?1

However, I will give kudos to your country for:
  • Don Cherry (funny guy)
  • SCTV
  • And helping us expel the Nazis from Europe in in WWII
Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

what about calling a couch a chesterfield? i love that one. used to date a canadian and she always called it a chesterfield. she was also a kickboxer. so i never gave her any crap
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

All the Canadians that show up here are either Frenchies, or real nice cause they are happy to be able to converse in English.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yetibear
All the Canadians that show up here are either Frenchies, or real nice cause they are happy to be able to converse in English.
so... I'm either a frenchie or.... a real nice guy??? is it possible to be both ?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blackjkrubi
so... I'm either a frenchie or.... a real nice guy??? is it possible to be both ?
You are from Ontario, that doesn't count. But yeah, both is possible, but there ain't much else to do here but pick on the Quebecois.

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?