Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
...and you could always walk around with a potato in your pants.
Dude - you're too funny. I just sprayed my screen.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by britjk
Dude - you're too funny. I just sprayed my screen.
I know. I already used it in real life. lol. context: discussion about the government "crazy check". NO I DON'T GET ONE! not yet at least. Im prolly just a potato away
Old 08-07-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Un huh....and you know you would do this from previous experience? I didnt think so. People react to situations TOTALLY different in high stress situations...this isnt a paper target.

And they DID try to stop him, they were sleeping, woke up to this guys being massacred, once they got over the shock (and buddy was probably dead) attempted to stop him, he turned a bit on them they decided to GTFO. You realize this guy was eating bits of the other guy right?

Sorry man, no one know how they would react until put into the situation.....for instance of the 4 planes hijacked on 9/11, why is it that 3 made it to the objectives and only one group of extremely brave people stopped the 4th? You arent saying that the other 3 planes were full of cowards are you? I certainly dont think they were.

comparing this to 9/11 is comparing apples to oranges. completely differnent sitations here. you say they DID try to stop him? what did they do? they got off the bus and closed the doors? that's stopping him? i'm sorry, i don't care if the kid had only been stabbed once or 50 times by the time i woke up. i couldn't live with myself knowing that i ran off the bus with the others and didn't try to save him. i did read that he was doing some heinous things to the kid, but it was AFTER everyone got off the bus and a few brave individuals got back on to see if they could do anything.

overall, this is just such a sad story. i really feel for this kid and his family. i don't know why this story just unnerved me a bit.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gypsy
Furthermore, I think as a member of the military, your fight or flight response is far different than the average citizen seated on a bus in rual Canada. I would suggest that it is far different than even the average person who carries a firearm. At the end of the day, the decision to take a life for the first time as a civilian is one that would cause most people (or those who haven't been watching too many movies) a moment of pause. A moment better spent getting OFF the bus rather than have two bodies and a murderer now in possession of a gun.
Fight or flight is not a military term. It's instinctual, it's in your DNA. Every human and most animals on the planet have a fight or flight instinct. Even those from Canada.

And how exactly do all these people that live in a country that doesn't allow you to carry a gun, let alone a concealed gun become such experts on the subject of carrying guns? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I fail to see how you could be an authority on the subject.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spencenaz
Fight or flight is not a military term. It's instinctual, it's in your DNA. Every human and most animals on the planet have a fight or flight instinct. Even those from Canada.

And how exactly do all these people that live in a country that doesn't allow you to carry a gun, let alone a concealed gun become such experts on the subject of carrying guns? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I fail to see how you could be an authority on the subject.
Honestly, did you just say that everyone who carries a gun is an expert in firearms? AND you pulled the Canada card? Whats next? The way we say "about"? Oh wait, I know....how about how crappy our dollar is...(that one doesnt work so well anymore though)

This conversation was going very well. Stimulating and well thought out arguments for both sides. Is Xbox Live down or something?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spencenaz
S

It's called fight or flight instinct. and folks who choose to own firearms for personal protection are not typically the flight kind when the feces hits the fan.
To old and close to lame to run anymore. Time has taken it's toll and now I'm stuck having to stand and fight.

I gotta say, though, unarmed, on a bus, while some mad man stabs, decapitates, and commences to chow down on his seat mate? I would like to say, and choose to think, I would jump in and try to help the victim. That is what I choose to believe, but honestly, if such a horror suddenly broke out, I have no idea what I would actually do.

This isn't sudden battlefield carnage, or a hijacking that lasts for a long space of time. This is sitting, probably dozing, on a monotonous bus ride, surrounded by people you have been with for hours, and suddenly you wake to find yourself in a scene from a nightmare. Fight or flight my ass, I just don't know if my mind would grasp anything but the need to get away from Freddy Kruger's evil cannibal twin, with all possible haste.

I just find nothing that would give me a clue as to how I would react. Just going by the story, this attack came completely out of the blue, the best I can honestly say is I either would have tried to do something to help, or made my best effort to get as far away as fast as I could.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
I'm thinking pepper spray would be a great option to keep in my Jeep. I've been looking at the XD40SC so I may just have to bite. It's got all kinds of nifty safety features.

Yep, I'll be sure to work on my look. I think I need thicker eyebrows. Or maybe a large scar on the side of my face
I keep a fire extinguisher attached to my drivers seat... next time it happens, fill their vehicle with a thick white powder then call the cops about a suspected cocaine trafficking ring

make sure you have a camera with you, because the picture of four punk kids with white faces would be priceless!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Basic fireamr safety

Why do people who have obviously been trained in firearm safety chose to ignore that rule about chambering a round and carrying your weopon. Every firearm manufacturer that I am familiar with tells you not to carry a gun with a round chambered. Every hunting safety course informs you not to chamber a round untill you are ready to pick a target. You can't call a bullet back.

Secondly I'd like to say that I have been trained not to pull a firearm unless I am threatened. So if you have time to react you have time to chamber a round. If a guy is already shooting at you it might be a tiny bit late to pull your gun. Hope he's a bad shot. If a fellow has the drop on ya it might be a little bit safer to keep your hands where he can see them instead of reaching for your piece. this ain't the OLd West and you ain't John Wesley Hardin.

I carry sometimes but always in a holster. I carry a revolver so I don't have to chamber a round. I carry a Ruger cause it won't go off unless you want it to. but that's my personal preference.

Not following basic firearm safety rules is not the thing to do and not the thing to post on a forum where anyone can read it. Children could be reading your posts and think that's the way to live by ignoring the rules if you chose to. I saw where even the Police Officer was advocating ignoring basic firearm safety rules. That must be how so many innocent people get shot by the police.

I'm new to this forum and now I'm shocked by reading the poor choices suggested by some of you.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
That must be how so many innocent people get shot by the police.
Do you have any documented statistics on this and what is your definition of innocent?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
Do you have any documented statistics on this and what is your definition of innocent?
No I don't have any documented evidence. Just what is in the news. Like Ruby Ridge. Innocent, that would be someone who has not gotten convicted by a jury.

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?