Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Carry one in the chamber?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carry one in the chamber?

So yesterday I had to work late until about 12:45am. I live close to downtown Dallas so am going south on 75. I exit Mockingbird as usual and the first thought that pops into my head is the possibilty of a homeless person being on the corner.

Normally, this would not bother me. BUT, I have the top and doors off and it's close to 1am. Homeless people can be mentally ill sometimes so I'm wary of them when I'm exposed. So I pull up to the light and to my left is a guy on a bike with his girlfriend. Behind them is a car full of highschool/college kids. To my right are 2 scary looking guys. In the middle of the day this would not have scared me as much, but I've seen enough episodes of Cops and First 48 to know that Dallas is dangerous at night. I have my Kel-Tec P3AT wedged between my seat and the console. I felt very nervous so I slowly reach down and load one in the chamber. I never carry one in the chamber because I am so paranoid about an accidental discharge. This is probably my mistake, but I still haven't grown comfortable with the idea of carrying loaded. Especially relying on the long trigger pull as the only safety. Anyway, regardless....

So I put one in the chamber, place it in my cup holder and pray for the light to turn. In the meantime, the car of highschool/college kids have lowered all their windows and started heckling the couple next to me. Whistling and yelling. I don't turn and look for fear that they'll start on me.

Well, light turns green and I turn left along with the car of punks. The scary guys on the right of me go straight so they're no longer an issue. As I'm making the turn I see a kid throw his plastic bottle at me. Misses and hits the back of my jeep. I still try to avoid eye contact and act as if I dont even notice. At this point I'm sweating and really nervous. I'm trying to drive slower so they'll just pass me, but they make it a point to stay right with me, heckling me the entire time. Calling me all kinds of names, etc. So I speed up to get away from them and they pull in behind me right on my tail. Honking and flashing, I think they were trying to get me to pull over into the parking lot on our right and start something. So I keep driving and eventually they do turn into the empty parking lot. I continue home, unload my gun, and do my best to sleep.

Even this morning I'm still a little shaken up. I've never been so afraid for my life. They didnt physically harm me or anything so I did not feel justified in exposing my weapon. Maybe it's all the Cops and First 48 I've been watching, but I am scared to try driving at night with the top and doors off now. I'm also reconsidering my carrying style of not keeping one in the chamber. I feel like if something were to have happened last night, my weapon would have been worthless had I not loaded one. So I'm thinking I may start looking at a new CCW that has some safety features that I'm comfortable enough with to start carrying loaded (besides a long trigger pull). Any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

If you don't have a round chambered you can always throw the gun at them and hope you hit a vital spot. I would never ever carry without a round chambered. I agree with you that you were not justified in showing your firearm. My son had a crack whore open his passenger side door one day while sitting at a light in downtown Rochester. He pointed his pepper spray at her and told her to get away, shut the door, or you're going to get a faceful of pepper spray. She complied quickly. Pepper spray is an option to have along as well as your weapon. Situations don't warrant excessive solutions. By the way, my son also carries a Springfield XD subcompact in .40 S&W or a KelTec .380 along with the spray. Just my 2 cents, others may disagree.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Work on your look.

The 2 guys that looked BAD next to you have the look right. No body messes with them because they look like they could do some damage if you mess with them.

If you look like an easy target you will be an easy target.

OH and CALL 911 next time someone throws something at you!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
If you don't have a round chambered you can always throw the gun at them and hope you hit a vital spot. I would never ever carry without a round chambered. I agree with you that you were not justified in showing your firearm. My son had a crack whore open his passenger side door one day while sitting at a light in downtown Rochester. He pointed his pepper spray at her and told her to get away, shut the door, or you're going to get a faceful of pepper spray. She complied quickly. Pepper spray is an option to have along as well as your weapon. Situations don't warrant excessive solutions. By the way, my son also carries a Springfield XD subcompact in .40 S&W or a KelTec .380 along with the spray. Just my 2 cents, others may disagree.
Originally Posted by BCarr
Agreed. If you're gonna carry it, have it ready. With the advances in weaponry these days, you're not looking at a great chance of accidental discharge. Keep one chambered, and the magazine filled.

As for the pepper spray...also a good idea. Heck....you could've sprayed the pepper spray in the air as the kids pulled behind you and hoped it got into their direct wind. That would've been funny.
I'm thinking pepper spray would be a great option to keep in my Jeep. I've been looking at the XD40SC so I may just have to bite. It's got all kinds of nifty safety features.

Originally Posted by mcds99
Work on your look.

The 2 guys that looked BAD next to you have the look right. No body messes with them because they look like they could do some damage if you mess with them.

If you look like an easy target you will be an easy target.

OH and CALL 911 next time someone throws something at you!
Yep, I'll be sure to work on my look. I think I need thicker eyebrows. Or maybe a large scar on the side of my face
Old 06-12-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bcperry2000

Yep, I'll be sure to work on my look. I think I need thicker eyebrows. Or maybe a large scar on the side of my face
...and you could always walk around with a potato in your pants.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I carry two things of pepper spray and fire ext. Don't have my permit yet but I will soon. I was almost car jack a few years back off I-35 and Riverside in Austin. Needless to say you were right to be aware of your surroundings, I think everyone will agree with me here. Always keep one in the chamber and look for ways to avoid getting into a situation where you'd have to use it. I had a guy try and get me to fight after he thought I was trying to cutt him off in a parking lot. I went over a curb to avoid getting rear-ended and then hitting the jerk in front of me. He changed his tone after he looked at the nosal of the fire ext from my open drivers window. Driving a Jeep means we all have to be alittle more careful and aware. You did good and try not to work so late.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by neopj3
I carry two things of pepper spray and fire ext. Don't have my permit yet but I will soon. I was almost car jack a few years back off I-35 and Riverside in Austin. Needless to say you were right to be aware of your surroundings, I think everyone will agree with me here. Always keep one in the chamber and look for ways to avoid getting into a situation where you'd have to use it. I had a guy try and get me to fight after he thought I was trying to cutt him off in a parking lot. I went over a curb to avoid getting rear-ended and then hitting the jerk in front of me. He changed his tone after he looked at the nosal of the fire ext from my open drivers window. Driving a Jeep means we all have to be alittle more careful and aware. You did good and try not to work so late.
technically, you do not have to have your CHL to have a firearm in your vehicle or on your person in TX. as long as you are "traveling". as of September of last year, the burden of proof is now on the LEO. almost defeats the purpose of the CHL but i doubt an LEO would appreciate your "traveling" story if ever caught

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2007-1...n-will-travel/
Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi

I also agree....if you have a CCW permit, then I sure would have one in the chamber.
One other thing......as soon as the guy threw the plastic bottle at you, then if you had a cell phone, you could have put it to your ear and looked at them talking, as if you were describing them and telling 911 their license plate number. That may have made them high tail it.
It's hard to say about showing your weapon to them. I know I would have loved to scare the s**t out of the little pukes. You wouldn't even have to point it at them....just start waving it around like you were some kind of crazy man!!! I'm sure that would get their attention. But.......like I say, it's a tuff call, because then they might call the police and say you pointed it at them, and it would be your word against a car full of liars.
In this case a loaded cell phone may have got them to leave you alone.
Good luck and be safe....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

I think you did the right thing, and they are just idiots who don't deserve for you to get worked up over. That said, I think it is good to analyze everything and give yourself a bunch of "what if " scenario's in your head for the future if something similar happens.

Regarding a round in the chamber, the 1911 is built perfectly for "cocked and locked". Pull it, drop the thumb safety, and you're ready to rock and roll.

As far as waving or flashing your gun, because they were bold enough to throw something at you, would they have even have been scared, or would they have been prodded even more by seeing your gun? That could have made it worse if you flashed it and they taunted you more with "shoot me" comments; or not, you'll never know. My personal philosophy is to only pull it if I plan on firing it, which is a last resort for me. 99.9% of the time a situation can be difused in some other method.

I know that different folks have different views than I do, and I respect that, this is just my opinion. I'm glad you're ok bc, and the important thing is that the worst thing that happened is a cup hit your jeep.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM
JK Super Freak

A lot of good advice has been given as to how to handle the situation you were in so I am not going to rehash that. I will add WTF????? If you don't have one in the chamber why have one at all. It is a whole hell of a lot easier to drop the safety and make the long pull (double action) than it is to load in a round then fire (and as safe too). It also takes less time and motions to boot. Hell I keep my snub nose with a full cylinder let alone my auto with a round chambered.

BTW the kids could have seen you work the gun and given today's mentality thought you had something planned that involved them and that might have been the reason for the way they acted. In the round chamberd senario you would never make a motion and still be ready to rock.

Quick Reply: Carry one in the chamber?