Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

California rules for Tuffy Underseat Conceal Drawer

Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default California rules for Tuffy Underseat Conceal Drawer

Any of you California guys know if the Tuffy underseat conceal drawer for the JK is legal to carry your pistol in California? Does the ammo have to be separate?
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very touchy subject in CA. I just moved here from VA and the laws are much different.

Reading the FAQs and forums for Concealed Carry along with speaking with local police officers, your firearm must be placed in a locked case in a non-accessible location. In the case it must not contain any ammunition whatsoever. It cannot be located in the center console or glove box (trying to specify that it be kept in the trunk).

To be honest I would try to stay away from concealed and open carrying especially in CA, as most of the police officers do not know the laws as well as they should.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
This is a very touchy subject in CA. I just moved here from VA and the laws are much different.

Reading the FAQs and forums for Concealed Carry along with speaking with local police officers, your firearm must be placed in a locked case in a non-accessible location. In the case it must not contain any ammunition whatsoever. It cannot be located in the center console or glove box (trying to specify that it be kept in the trunk).

To be honest I would try to stay away from concealed and open carrying especially in CA, as most of the police officers do not know the laws as well as they should.
I'm goiing to have to disagree with you on the "most Police Officers don't know the laws concerning CCW". I spent my last 23 years as a Deputy Sheriff and I would say 99% of them do know those laws. How you ask? Because P.O.S.T. requires LEO's to attend 3 eight hour days a year in Training. That's more than Doctors, Lawyers, Judges and any elected Official or forum poster.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Woody K, What are your thoughts on the Tuffy underseat drawer being a good place to transport an unloaded firearm in CA? I am trying to figure out a good secure way to take it camping, etc. up in the Sierras?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I looked it up and I guess it's good for storing item securely. I bought another brand that I like. It's good for airlines and for securing in a vehicle. Howeve...

If you do not have a CCW for California and you have a loaded firearm in your car you are technically in violation of Penal Code 12031. Loaded is the operative term. Yahoo that code section and you can decide what you think it means.

I am not familiar with the Tuffy under seat drawer but it doesn't matter if you have a loaded fiream in that drawer....you would be in violation.

With that said I may not agree with the current state of the law and that is the problem with the enforcement. Their may be times when an officer will stop a vehicle for something else and see a firearm in a vehicle and upon further investigation it is found to be loaded. They may not do a thing except unload it or they may arrest you. Depends on the circumstances and how it would look to a jury.

Sorry or the rant.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offence to police or former police... but I was watching this show the other day about cali park rangers. They were super sneaky creeping up on hunters and stuff and I thought man these guys are pretty good. Then they made contact with this hunter that obviously had a home made suppressor on the end of his rifle. He made up some crap about it just being a pipe to straighten out the barrel than had been bent. The cop didn't check it out any further. I would say not to assume anything.

I live in Texas and we have here the "castle law" that allows us to carry loaded firearms in our vehicle/boat/rv/whatever because it is considered an extension of our home. Not all police in the more rural areas are that familiar with it, so I keep a copy of the castle law doctrine in my vehicles. If you have something on paper it could help save some headache.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woody_k

I'm goiing to have to disagree with you on the "most Police Officers don't know the laws concerning CCW". I spent my last 23 years as a Deputy Sheriff and I would say 99% of them do know those laws. How you ask? Because P.O.S.T. requires LEO's to attend 3 eight hour days a year in Training. That's more than Doctors, Lawyers, Judges and any elected Official or forum poster.
Hahahahaha I'm a paramedic and we do 8 hours of intense training a month plus are required to do 120 hours of home study per year and continuing education at the office everyday. You saying 3 days a year is enough is bs.

I still have a 100 page book I carry in my pocket for reference on top of all that training. The penal code is far more confusing then my protocols and the police DO NOT know it all. One of my medics is also police and admits that he is the traffic law guy, there is another guy that knows firearm laws well ect. They all call each other constantly.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Hahahahaha I'm a paramedic and we do 8 hours of intense training a month plus are required to do 120 hours of home study per year and continuing education at the office everyday. You saying 3 days a year is enough is bs.

I still have a 100 page book I carry in my pocket for reference on top of all that training. The penal code is far more confusing then my protocols and the police DO NOT know it all. One of my medics is also police and admits that he is the traffic law guy, there is another guy that knows firearm laws well ect. They all call each other constantly.
Not to get into a pissing contest Paramedics here in Ca can only do what the Dr tells them via radio, usually I.V. only (yeah that requires 8 hours each month) and that's what the OP wanted to know about California...not New Brunswick.

All officers that I know, which are more than you know, carry not only the Penal Code but the Vehicle code. Both are at least 500 pages. So yes it is impossible to know every law out there.

I never challenged your intelligence. I challeneged your wrong statement the "most do not know" when the opposite is true. Only 2 codes are needed to assist the OP with his question 12025 and 12031. Not too confusing and takes less than 5 minutes to read. Try it sometime.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I very clearly said that the penal code was far more complex and confusing then my protocols. I never insulted your intelligence. I just said it's impossible to know as you said 1000 pages of stuff off the top of your head.

And just because your ems system sucks doesn't mean that we all do. I give 19 medications, initiate iv's, intubate, defibrillate, and deep suction all with no dr contact at all. My agency is currently the leading ems agency in the country as far as medical treatment goes.

Were all in this together, no insult intended.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the info Woody_K. I am planning to keep the gun in the tuffy box unloaded as a locked way to transport it. I sure wish this state would quit being so anti ccw. Oh well, when I retire to AZ things will be looking up as far as firearms go. For now I guess I run around Stockton (lots of crime) unloaded!

Quick Reply: California rules for Tuffy Underseat Conceal Drawer