Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

CA: legal to drive with shotgun in jeep?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Office of Attorney General

Here is a link to the OAG's page on firearms. http://oag.ca.gov/firearms. It is OK to carry an unloaded shotgun in your jeep under most circumstances. As noted above, a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) that pulls you over and spots a shotgun on your seat is going to be a very unhappy LEO. Note that the rules are completely different for weapons considered assault rifles, which is pretty much anything with a detachable magazine and any one of a list of other features such as a pistol grip. California has special rules for assault rifles including transportation in locked cases.

This applies to visitors as well. California does not recognize out-of-state CCW permits.

We carry unloaded shotguns in cloth cases and ammo in kit bags all the time. I am certain this is legal since the intent is not to conceal anything and at least in rural areas this is not at all unusual. I've never been pulled over with any firearm in the vehicle but I think the best thing to do would be to notify the LEO that you have an unloaded weapon first thing.

CA gun laws are among the strictest in the country and, unfortunately, they only get stricter.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

thx for the advice guys
Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrparker
Here is a link to the OAG's page on firearms. http://oag.ca.gov/firearms. It is OK to carry an unloaded shotgun in your jeep under most circumstances. As noted above, a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) that pulls you over and spots a shotgun on your seat is going to be a very unhappy LEO. Note that the rules are completely different for weapons considered assault rifles, which is pretty much anything with a detachable magazine and any one of a list of other features such as a pistol grip. California has special rules for assault rifles including transportation in locked cases.

This applies to visitors as well. California does not recognize out-of-state CCW permits.

We carry unloaded shotguns in cloth cases and ammo in kit bags all the time. I am certain this is legal since the intent is not to conceal anything and at least in rural areas this is not at all unusual. I've never been pulled over with any firearm in the vehicle but I think the best thing to do would be to notify the LEO that you have an unloaded weapon first thing.

CA gun laws are among the strictest in the country and, unfortunately, they only get stricter.
This is the problem with CA and many more states. I grew up around guns in the southeast US. The guy that displays his gun, loaded or not, so that all, including LEO's, can see it doesn't bother me in the least. I live in WV where a significant portion of drivers are armed and has one if the highest rates of gun ownership per capita in the nation. But yet we don't have the violent crime that plagues many US cities. Criminalize gun ownership and only criminals will have guns. A thief will think twice about breaking into a house that is armed.

With regards to carrying a loaded weapon in a car, it boils down to safety and practicality for me. In a vehicle, a rifle or shotgun with a round chambered serves no purpose other than to accidentally discharge and hurt or kill someone. And if I have either if those in a vehicle, I'm going hunting and will have more than the few rounds that can be stored in the magazine so there's really no need to transport it with any ammo in it. I will exempt from my statement above certain handgun designs wherein the firing pin is completely blocked when safe or some other safety feature exists that requires significant effort to cause the gun to fire. Trigger safeties do not fit this category. My 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by vtminer
This is the problem with CA and many more states. I grew up around guns in the southeast US. The guy that displays his gun, loaded or not, so that all, including LEO's, can see it doesn't bother me in the least. I live in WV where a significant portion of drivers are armed and has one if the highest rates of gun ownership per capita in the nation. But yet we don't have the violent crime that plagues many US cities. Criminalize gun ownership and only criminals will have guns. A thief will think twice about breaking into a house that is armed.
The people of Australia found this out the hard way........

Quick Reply: CA: legal to drive with shotgun in jeep?