Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Brush Gun suggestion

Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
The more I hear both here and elsewhere the more I am liking the 30/30 option. I guess when I threw the hogs in there I did not make clear I was talking smaller younger more pigs than hogs. I am talking meat on the table type stuff not grind it up because all it is good for is sausage Hogzillas. I know a 30/30 will do a deer in fine. As far as actually killing a hog we used to use a Marlin lever action 22 I still have today. Of course those were dead on head shots but hey they worked. I know shot placement is more importiant than anything so the 30/30 is a top runner because ammo is reasonable and available everywhere here where as other rounds are not as affordable and harder to find.
There is nothing wrong with the 30-30. It has consistantly put meat on the table for over 100 years. And the rifles chambered for it are also time proven. it is a good choice.

The only thing really wrong with it is that it has been around so long, with nothing to change, it is not sexy. Most gun writers have to churn out those articles every month, and there is just nothing new to say about it. And because it does it's job so well, with little flash, it tends to be unfavorably compared to it's new hot competition. But the venerable old thudy-thudy lives on, only because it does what it does well.

And Mossberg just came out with a new 30-30 lever that looks like a nice replacement for the missed Winchester 94. Mossberg 464, it lists for $475, looks very Model 1894.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 50 yards? only 1 gun I use. I converted a saiga-12 guage to regular AK47 pistol grips and stocks. 000 buck and 10 shot mags availible. fun. Or just grab the AK47.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.....altho the 30-30 is a great gun, you can still kill things with it at over 100 yards. With you saying 50 yards, it would be really hard to beat a 12 ga. with a red dot scope.
I also always wanted one of those 44 cal. saddle guns....another real good brush gun no doubt.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Have you considered a Mini 14 Ranch rifle. .223 round in a reasonably small rifle. Pretty accurate and quite reliable.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

a good Marlin 30-30 cant be beat in the brush...
my dad reloads so he bumped up the powder and it does give a good knockdown. If you happened to be a lefty it takes a couple of minutes (more like seconds...) to flip the hammer thing (whats it called?) over to the other side. AND you have a short, light weight weapon that wont get caught up on every branch (when slung over the shoulder) and fairly easy to climb into a tree stand with it.

I forget the capacity of the 30-30... 6+ (???)

easy to toss in the back seat of a jeep... open sights are decent, but a little 4x scope is nice to make sure you're seeing antlers. and they are still dead on at 100yrds. Even with mud in the action, it still works fine.

but there is nothing wrong with a good mini 14 or ruger 44 or a nice 243.
hell, i've taken my AR15 out a few times just for kicks.

whatever your comfortable with, and fits your needs...
Old 06-11-2008, 02:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Robar
Have you considered a Mini 14 Ranch rifle. .223 round in a reasonably small rifle. Pretty accurate and quite reliable.
great gun but I would go mini 30 over mini 14 for brush. that 7.62x39 is hard to beat in the bush. Just ask anyone that was in nam.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
great gun but I would go mini 30 over mini 14 for brush. that 7.62x39 is hard to beat in the bush. Just ask anyone that was in nam.
Good point the mini 30 is also a great rifle.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
Good point the mini 30 is also a great rifle.
the 30 is a good rifle, it would have been great if they had brought the full size .30cal(.308) to market like they were supposed to.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

My dad gave me a .30-30 Savage bolt action.

Light accurate beyond belief and a 12 year old could handle it.

Savage isn't a popular brand but they work and are realiable.

Find a Dr. that hunts and ask what you should do.

BTW here in Minnesota if you are a bow hunter and can't draw a bow you can get licensed to use a cross bow. Don't know the laws in your state but check it out.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was shooting in a highpower rifle match and while pulling targets in the pitts one of the guys next to me said that a wild pig he had killed while hunting had 223 bullets stuck in its chest. The bullets did not even go through the thick chest skin and looked like they had been there for a long time. I have never hunted wild pig in the bush but after hearing that story I think I would want to carry something with big time knock down power and if I got jumped by a herd of them a high cap magazine would be nice, even if my wife didn't like the kick. My pick would be a Alexander Arms .50 cal Beowulf. Why take a chance?

Quick Reply: Brush Gun suggestion