Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Brush Gun suggestion

Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
Dude I have seen a hog that took 10 rounds of OO buck at point blank range before it keeled over. Not that I am talking pigs that big more something for the table but an AK is not a hunting weapon it is for target shooting in my book.

Would a 30-30 take a small to medium hog? I know it is the frequent brush gun of choice for a lot of hunters around here as I sold a lot of them years ago. I think most of them had deer in mind though and many most likely would not have taken a hog if they saw one.
I wouldn't dismiss the 7.62X39 Russian quite so quickly. First thing an AK is NOT a target rifle by any stretch of the inagination, it just isn't. And the AK is the most used hunting weapon in history, the prey just happens to be mostly human.

I wouldn't hunt with an AK just as a personal choice, I prefer lever or bolt action, but that is just me.

A 30-30 would be fine for small to medium hogs, but with the right load an AK would be almost, ballisticly, its equal. A 150 gr soft point from either would get you right about 1400 foot lbs of energy at 100 yards and out to 300 the superior bc of the Russian leaves the 30-30 behind by a wide margin.

I, personally, would prefer the 30-30, in a Winchester 94, that is more to my liking as a sporting arm. however don't be so quick to dismiss the 7.63X39, and be sure of the local game ordinances as far as magazine capacity go.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did not realize we were talking about hunting... i thought this was about a weapon for defense such as when camping/wheeling...

goodbye..
Old 05-28-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Dude I have seen a hog that took 10 rounds of OO buck at point blank range before it keeled over. Not that I am talking pigs that big more something for the table but an AK is not a hunting weapon it is for target shooting in my book.

Would a 30-30 take a small to medium hog? I know it is the frequent brush gun of choice for a lot of hunters around here as I sold a lot of them years ago. I think most of them had deer in mind though and many most likely would not have taken a hog if they saw one.
how about a high power air rifle?? i never thought this would be possible. granted it's a perfectly placed shot but the .177 caliber pellet took out a 250lb boar. i personally have a gamo and can tell you that these are serious pellet guns. i'm still unconvinced it can take out boars but it kills everything else on the spot.

http://gamousa.com/Videos/62_wmv.htm

someone else mentioned Savage and i'm gonna say the same thing. for the money, those are some really great guns. especially with their AccuTrigger:

http://www.savagearms.com/at_pressrelease.htm

Old 05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by yetibear
I wouldn't dismiss the 7.62X39 Russian quite so quickly. First thing an AK is NOT a target rifle by any stretch of the inagination, it just isn't. And the AK is the most used hunting weapon in history, the prey just happens to be mostly human.

I wouldn't hunt with an AK just as a personal choice, I prefer lever or bolt action, but that is just me.

A 30-30 would be fine for small to medium hogs, but with the right load an AK would be almost, ballisticly, its equal. A 150 gr soft point from either would get you right about 1400 foot lbs of energy at 100 yards and out to 300 the superior bc of the Russian leaves the 30-30 behind by a wide margin.

I, personally, would prefer the 30-30, in a Winchester 94, that is more to my liking as a sporting arm. however don't be so quick to dismiss the 7.63X39, and be sure of the local game ordinances as far as magazine capacity go.
Thanks for the info. 100yds would be a long shot for the areas I am talking. In fact 50-60yds is about max. If I was talking 100yds and up the 30-06 comes out. I could use it for the short range but I want an excuse to get a new gun. "But honey the 06 is too much of a gun it is for long shots."

EDIT: BTW I did not mean the AK was just a target gun as they began life as a military weapon. It is just an AK for my use is not a praticle choice.

Last edited by only_in_my_jeep; 05-28-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
how about a high power air rifle?? i never thought this would be possible. granted it's a perfectly placed shot but the .177 caliber pellet took out a 250lb boar. i personally have a gamo and can tell you that these are serious pellet guns. i'm still unconvinced it can take out boars but it kills everything else on the spot.

http://gamousa.com/Videos/62_wmv.htm

someone else mentioned Savage and i'm gonna say the same thing. for the money, those are some really great guns. especially with their AccuTrigger:

http://www.savagearms.com/at_pressrelease.htm

You and that damn air rifle Savage is a good gun but once agian they are more long range bolt actions. I plan to look at Marlins and Winchesters lever actions this weekend. Once I decide then it is sneak it past momma time. Got to do it before August 15th and deer season.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

You and that damn air rifle Savage is a good gun but once agian they are more long range bolt actions. I plan to look at Marlins and Winchesters lever actions this weekend. Once I decide then it is sneak it past momma time. Got to do it before August 15th and deer season.

haha, what can i say??? i really like my pellet gun

i just built my first AR15 and i'm still shooting the pellet gun way more.....
Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. 100yds would be a long shot for the areas I am talking. In fact 50-60yds is about max. If I was talking 100yds and up the 30-06 comes out. I could use it for the short range but I want an excuse to get a new gun. "But honey the 06 is too much of a gun it is for long shots."

EDIT: BTW I did not mean the AK was just a target gun as they began life as a military weapon. It is just an AK for my use is not a practical choice.
100 yards is just used for comparison, most ballistic charts are muzzle, 100, 200, 300, 400 yards. 100 yards seemed more practical than muzzle, I think it more reasonable then to think you will be contact blasting some enraged wild hog.

Course if you want a REAL bush rifle, find yourself a nice Winchester 71 in .348 and run a box of 250gr WW Silvertips thru her, that'll get your blood up. A grand old lever action, makes Grizzles quake and shoulders ache!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would definitely suggest a Marlin 30-30 with a red-dot versus a standard scope. Plentiful and cheap ammo. Acceptable kick for a Lady, especially with a recoil pad. Affordable and reliable gun. Certainly better caliber\rounds out there, but for overall utility, it would be hard to beat. A decently placed shot shouldn't have a problem taking down a hog.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

The more I hear both here and elsewhere the more I am liking the 30/30 option. I guess when I threw the hogs in there I did not make clear I was talking smaller younger more pigs than hogs. I am talking meat on the table type stuff not grind it up because all it is good for is sausage Hogzillas. I know a 30/30 will do a deer in fine. As far as actually killing a hog we used to use a Marlin lever action 22 I still have today. Of course those were dead on head shots but hey they worked. I know shot placement is more importiant than anything so the 30/30 is a top runner because ammo is reasonable and available everywhere here where as other rounds are not as affordable and harder to find.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love to hate AK-47's but It will not let you down.

Quick Reply: Brush Gun suggestion