Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Best Value on a Gun Safe

Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Value on a Gun Safe

Here's the deal. I own a Mossberg 500 and a Glock 30. My wife agrees we need a couple more guns for the zombie invasion, but with a kid in the house she thinks (and I agree) that we need a safe before we start adding to the collection.

I don't want to drop the money on something ridiculous, plus I'll be moving every three or four years for the forseeable future, so heavier is not necessarily better. I'm looking at holding 6-12 long guns and a couple of handguns, plus the random things around the house that belong in a safe instead of a drawer or file cabinet. I'm getting back from the desert in January, and plan on purchasing not too long afterwords, shortly after I splurge on jeep parts.

We're looking at 700-1000 range. What's the best deal on a quality, small-medium sized safe?

Thanks for the help! Once I get the safe, ya'll can start weighing in on the best choices to fill it up.

Last edited by Kahntakt; 10-20-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 14-Gun Sentry From Wal-mart ... it may hold 8 longs guns ... but I doubt 14 ... you can usually get them on clearance for $300 ... wieght about 250 lbs. There is an upper shelf for a handgun rack.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go with the biggest you can afford. They fill up quick. Make sure you look at the fire rating, too, if your concerned about that. Heavier can be better, then people can't pick the thing up!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had 2 Cannon safes.
They are a good medium between lightweight steel and the heavy monsters. Also the price is pretty reasonable but the quality and finish work is still good.

And yes, they do tend to fill up faster than you expect.

Quick Reply: Best Value on a Gun Safe