Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Best shell for home protection?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt see anyone mention it but whatever you end up choosing, go pattern it in YOUR gun. People are often amazed by the spread or lack thereof with various shells out of their shotgun. It is well worth the time and money to grab some cardboard and shoot it once at different ranges with your chosen load.

My favorite eye opener is to shoot a target between two others without touching the two beside it. People often say "but I thought it would hit everything in front of it!!!" um no, not even close... (TV BS strikes again) My 12ga with 00 buck at 15' (the distance from where I would be standing to bedroom door) spreads to about 12". Which correlates nicely to the size of the bright spot of the attached light!!!

Just like your Jeep, find out what it will and wont do. It will work out much better for you in the long run.

Last edited by msquaredIN; 02-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msquaredIN
I didnt see anyone mention it but whatever you end up choosing, go pattern it in YOUR gun. People are often amazed by the spread or lack thereof with various shells out of their shotgun. It is well worth the time and money to grab some cardboard and shoot it once at different ranges with your chosen load.

My favorite eye opener is to shoot a target between two others without touching the two beside it. People often say "but I thought it would hit everything in front of it!!!" um no, not even close... (TV BS strikes again) My 12ga with 00 buck at 15' (the distance from where I would be standing to bedroom door) spreads to about 12". Which correlates nicely to the size of the bright spot of the attached light!!!

Just like your Jeep, find out what it will and wont do. It will work out much better for you in the long run.

Yea, knowing the pattern (also wall penetration) would be huge in a in-home confrontation.... id say my 00 buckshot spreads about the same as your evaluation.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use remington home defense 2 3/4" rounds. Their full of copper bbs and want penetrate the walls as badly as would 00 buck shot. I have children in the house to.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use remington home defense 2 3/4" rounds. Their full of copper bbs and want penetrate the walls as badly as would 00 buck shot. I have children in the house to.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure how these feed out of an 870 but if you cut them carefully they feed fine out of my mossburg. Kind of like a big Safety Slug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU

Quick Reply: Best shell for home protection?