Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Best shell for home protection?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Pete
7 1/2 birdshot........no slugs or buckshot in a house with kids......
That's what I use as I live in an apartment building. Don't need to worry about over penetration of double aught going through the walls.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

My primary for home is 45acp using v max ammo. No over penetration and good effects on targets.

I test my rounds on like walls and go as far as practicing my angles of attack. I have kids, animals and a wife in my house. I could clear this house in the dark with a flame thrower and not anyone other then the intended party.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the 00 buck....in a home defense situation its gonna be high stress for you so there is a good chance you will fire from the hip or without taking any more aim than pointing the barrel at the intruder you get a better chance for 1 shot knock down with the buckshot...with the bird you run the risk of a big spread out of a home defense length barrel with less knockdown...that being said i would run the birdshot first then follow it up with the 00. They get one shot to get wounded and leave and the next 4-7 to test their luck
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bird Shot, followed by buckshot, followed by 4 shells of dragons breath.

Search youtube for dragons breath
Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
Slugs. One shot, one kill.
Please please PLEASE ignore this advice. For an in home setting DO NOT utilize slug. Slug over penetrates like CRAZY. If you're any sort of shooter you should know every firearm safety rule, one of them being "know your target and what's beyond it." In such close proximity slug will go through your assailant and possibly into the room behind him. What if your wife, baby, kid, pet, whatever is in the room behind the threat? So much for protecting your loved ones.

I know all loads have the ABILITY over penetrate, but slug is DEFINITELY going to over penetrate.

Also... I have yet to see ANY evidence of ANY common rifle, pistol, or shotgun round ALWAYS stopping the threat with ONLY one round. Please stop buying into the Hollywood BS of "one shot one kill." Yes a slug CAN kill with only one round, but it won't do it 120% of the time. The recoil impulse of a slug is much larger making for slower follow up shots. There are PLENTY of reasons to NOT use slug for home defense. Slug is great for other uses... just NOT home defense.

End rant... feel free to flame on now
Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepApex

Please please PLEASE ignore this advice. For an in home setting DO NOT utilize slug. Slug over penetrates like CRAZY. If you're any sort of shooter you should know every firearm safety rule, one of them being "know your target and what's beyond it." In such close proximity slug will go through your assailant and possibly into the room behind him. What if your wife, baby, kid, pet, whatever is in the room behind the threat? So much for protecting your loved ones.

I know all loads have the ABILITY over penetrate, but slug is DEFINITELY going to over penetrate.

Also... I have yet to see ANY evidence of ANY common rifle, pistol, or shotgun round ALWAYS stopping the threat with ONLY one round. Please stop buying into the Hollywood BS of "one shot one kill." Yes a slug CAN kill with only one round, but it won't do it 120% of the time. The recoil impulse of a slug is much larger making for slower follow up shots. There are PLENTY of reasons to NOT use slug for home defense. Slug is great for other uses... just NOT home defense.

End rant... feel free to flame on now
I think you're absolutely right. Think of a slug as a cannon ball.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001

Anyone thats seen Last Man Standing knows the 1911 is the best HD weapon. Nothing like 30 rounds of .45 acp to send a guy flying backwards 15 feet
Hehe. 30rds of ACP is like 4 magazines on a 1911. Or 2 reloads for each pistol if you are Willis-ing it
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Littlebeas

Did you not see the claymore? Probably a bad idea with kids, dogs, wife, or any other living creature in the house; otherwise awesome idea

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-49491709.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	269491

This keeps the boy asleep at night.....he has a clicker under his pillow.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 AM
jdk
JK Freak

I reload my own, I use #6 lead shot with the hottest heaviest load I can make.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE7Fn...e_gdata_player

Quick Reply: Best shell for home protection?