Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

best 357/38 sp revolver

Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Taurus Model 617. It's a great gun because it is suitable for concealed carry, target practice, home protection, or just as a carry gun for being outdoors. The unique thing is that it's a 7 shot revolver, so you can have one extra round or it you are CC-ing you can carry 6 rounds and have the hammer on an empty cylinder to prevent any surprises. The short barrel (2") made me uneasy at first, but the ported barrel makes the gun very controllable with little recoil. Excellent gun and I picked it up used from a gun shop owner for $200.00 and it is in perfect condition.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could debate Smith vs Ruger all day long. Both great pistols but I will take a S&W trigger over a Ruger all day long!...and I have both and love both but you cant beat a Smith trigger!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Update: It took long enough!!!! Money has been a little tight, but things are starting to turn around. Anyway......I ended up with a S&W 686. 4" barrel, 6 shot capacity.

No pictures yet, just picked it up this morning. Cleaned/oiled, put 48 rounds through (first 5 were 357 mags.) just finished cleaning/oiling again. Now she should be good to go! Man, I LOVE this gun! I am sure I would have loved the Ruger also, but between the two, the S&W just felt a little more stout all around, and for not THAT much more, I felt it was my best choice. I will try to get a pic soon if anyone is interested.

thanks for all the input from everyone by the way
Old 11-27-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubiRI77
Update: It took long enough!!!! Money has been a little tight, but things are starting to turn around. Anyway......I ended up with a S&W 686. 4" barrel, 6 shot capacity.

No pictures yet, just picked it up this morning. Cleaned/oiled, put 48 rounds through (first 5 were 357 mags.) just finished cleaning/oiling again. Now she should be good to go! Man, I LOVE this gun! I am sure I would have loved the Ruger also, but between the two, the S&W just felt a little more stout all around, and for not THAT much more, I felt it was my best choice. I will try to get a pic soon if anyone is interested.

thanks for all the input from everyone by the way
Congrats! You did right by buying the S&W. There's something about S&W revolvers that Ruger, Taurus, Rossi, etc just don't have it.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
Congrats! You did right by buying the S&W. There's something about S&W revolvers that Ruger, Taurus, Rossi, etc just don't have it.
I just think it's in the action. I used to shoot a S&W 629 ss in 44mag. Had a little trigger work done and it shot amazingly well. I now have the Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. I haven't had any trigger work done to it yet, but even when I do I doubt it will be as nice as the S&W was. But as far as being stout.....I bought my Ruger "BECAUSE" it was more stout than the Smith. In fact you shouldn't shoot the high pressure 45 LC rounds out of the Smith or Taurus......not built strong enough to do it on a consistent basis.

Quick Reply: best 357/38 sp revolver