Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

best 357/38 sp revolver

Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sburggsx
The difference between a 686 and 19 is a 686 is Stainless and the 19 is blue. Personal preference here. (I have a 19 and a 66 so I can just choose. ) For a jeep gun stainless is great... no worries... clean it with break cleaner. (ok not really) Blue takes a little more care, but damn does it look good.
A Stainless model 19 is a 66. Both K frame. The 686 is an L frame.

To the OP. As stated the Colt Python is top of the food chain as far as DA revolvers go. For practical purposes, handle a few and go with what feels best in YOUR hand. If that is a 4" GP100 good. If it as a S&W in either J,K,L, or N frames that is good as well. You be be hard pressed to wear out any of them ( J frame excepted) especially if the majority of your shooting will be with .38 Specials.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want the BEST?

S&W Model 27. The Python is fit a bit better but way more fragile, the 27 is a monster (N frame.357).

The Python has an amazing trigger, and that Colt Royal Blue finish is spectacular, but because of it's design it can be shot out of time (not that any revolver can't go out of time, the Python is just more prone to it) The 27 has the close to perfect S&W trigger, a finish nearly as fine as the Python, and will shoot nuclear .357 loads until the end of time.

Don't settle for the reissue, look for an original with the color case hardened trigger and hammer, and NO Hillary hole.

Either one will cost you
$

But both are damn nice!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Imo

You cannot go wrong with the Ruger.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

i have a 686 in 6in barrel...love it!!!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Ruger or Smith make muy bueno pistolas. I have had problems with and do not advocate Taurus revolvers or autos. Had 3 model 85's over 2 years sold NEW that failed in some way in the first month owned, and the return time was AWFUL for my customer (7-9 weeks) 2 Judges that would not index every time and one that flat stuck in D.A. ALL new in the box from wholesaler (who got straight from Taurus) and the Millenium auto is a joke, AFTER it was re-designed due to jamming issues, it is still the most returned model we SOLD (note not SELL). I get more positive feedback about Hi-Points (YUCK) than Milleniums. I am not bashing Taurus, just can't see saving only about 80.00 dollars over a Ruger or Smith for a gun that I have had to take back from a customer and send off to the manufacturer for a run around. The Judges never even got logged out to the customer, they were found defective after unwrapping. I have sold a TON of Tauruses that were not defective, but the percentages are SAD. On a side note, I just unpacked a Colt 1911 that was missing a white dot in the sights, had a buggered grip screw, scratch, and gritty as HELL trigger, went back to Colt before it even got into the case. 900.00 COLT for cryin' out loud
ALWAYS try the gun YOU get (most of our guns in the case have one new in the box in back on popular models) before you leave the store. Some shops FLAT OUT refuse to take a gun back (they will cite the LAW) and will make you send your new gun out for repair... Some will send off for you, just remember to buy quality and don't cheap out when it is your life..
Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

SP101, great quality for the price and has never failed me in thousands of rounds.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

S&W would be my first choice, I have a Taurus 44Mag and love it. I have never had a problem. Ruger would be a close 3rd. I would suggest going to a shooting range and check out all three. See which one works for you. In door shooting ranges usually have pistols you can rent.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by vtxrecruiter
Ruger or Smith make muy bueno pistolas. I have had problems with and do not advocate Taurus revolvers or autos. Had 3 model 85's over 2 years sold NEW that failed in some way in the first month owned, and the return time was AWFUL for my customer (7-9 weeks) 2 Judges that would not index every time and one that flat stuck in D.A. ALL new in the box from wholesaler (who got straight from Taurus) and the Millenium auto is a joke, AFTER it was re-designed due to jamming issues, it is still the most returned model we SOLD (note not SELL). I get more positive feedback about Hi-Points (YUCK) than Milleniums. I am not bashing Taurus, just can't see saving only about 80.00 dollars over a Ruger or Smith for a gun that I have had to take back from a customer and send off to the manufacturer for a run around. The Judges never even got logged out to the customer, they were found defective after unwrapping. I have sold a TON of Tauruses that were not defective, but the percentages are SAD. On a side note, I just unpacked a Colt 1911 that was missing a white dot in the sights, had a buggered grip screw, scratch, and gritty as HELL trigger, went back to Colt before it even got into the case. 900.00 COLT for cryin' out loud
ALWAYS try the gun YOU get (most of our guns in the case have one new in the box in back on popular models) before you leave the store. Some shops FLAT OUT refuse to take a gun back (they will cite the LAW) and will make you send your new gun out for repair... Some will send off for you, just remember to buy quality and don't cheap out when it is your life..
One of the local gun shops pretty much told me the same thing. He said he sends back more of the Taurus's than any other gun. No thanks, don't need one to fail when I have a brown bear on my ass...
Old 10-23-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SBEII
The BEST is a Colt Python, no longer in production, but be prepared to spend some $$$.
i have a 6" stainless colt python my dad passed on to me...my mom bought it for him as an anniversary present back in the '80's...it was expensive back then...i love this gun
Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

I own a Ruger GP100 and have shot the S&W 686.
The Smith feels a little more refined.
The Ruger just feels like tank.
Has almost an overbuilt feeling to it.
The edges of the Ruger are not as finished Smith.
Not sharp but you can feel the difference on the trigger and guard.
You can probably pick up the Ruger for less.

Good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: best 357/38 sp revolver