Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

best 12 gauge home defense ammo??

Old 11-08-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leave Town
You know it - I've got two...
Now that's not fair.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOl. One has the sure fire light setup and a sidesaddle shell carrier. The other one I hunt with. They won't shoot regular skeet loads - It takes about a high brass 6 shot or so min to make it run the way it should. Doesn't like the light loads...

A have the camo Benelli super black eagle II 3 1/2" shotty for ducks. That thing is awesome! You can hit them a long way out with that baby!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

I have only shot the M1 super 90 the defense and entry versions. I suggested testing the tactical load in a semi auto just for that reason, as they did not cycle well with the tactical loads, not enough juice.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leave Town
LOl. One has the sure fire light setup and a sidesaddle shell carrier. The other one I hunt with. They won't shoot regular skeet loads - It takes about a high brass 6 shot or so min to make it run the way it should. Doesn't like the light loads...

A have the camo Benelli super black eagle II 3 1/2" shotty for ducks. That thing is awesome! You can hit them a long way out with that baby!
I love going to the Wednesday night sheet shoot with my Mossberg 500, 18 'n a quarter barrel and a collapsible stock. I'm a fairly poor shotgunner to begin with(15 out of 25 on a good night, and a real field shotgun, BPS), but it sure is fun with a gun never intended to shoot clays. And some of the FUDDs get a good laugh.

#4 Buck, the forgotten home defense load!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

i like this discussionthanks for all the opinions.
i posted some pics of the firearm i was referring to in the first post.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by fish
i like this discussionthanks for all the opinions.
i posted some pics of the firearm i was referring to in the first post.
Is that the one you want to get, or is that your 870 in the pic? Did you set it up like that?
Pretty cool.....
Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Is that the one you want to get, or is that your 870 in the pic? Did you set it up like that?
Pretty cool.....
thats mine,thanks.
no i bought it in the stock config and modded it myself.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by fish
thats mine,thanks.
no i bought it in the stock config and modded it myself.
Cool....So I take it that stays at home and you use your dad's old Browning to hunt with....??? BTW.....I remember, for some reason, somebody letting me use an old humpback myself one day. If I recall I did pretty good with it. Pheasents me thinks....
Old 11-09-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

The question you are asking is not answered by simply changing your buckshot preference. There are a number of thngs here you have to take into consideration.

First, if the situation has come to the point where you have to shoot someone, everyone in your family needs to be on the same sheet of music. Simply changing your load and "hoping" they know what to do is a tragedy waiting to happen. Instead, sit down with your family and come up with a plan of action in case something happens. Wives and children should be made aware that when daddy starts dropping bad guys they need to get down to the floor. When the shooting starts kids might instinctively come out of their rooms looking for the protection of mom and dad. This could put them unexpectedly in the line of fire. Have a plan, work it out with them. Get low, know where to go and know the layout of the house even the dark. Practice it, that's very important.

What if your bedrooms are all on the second floor and all the shooting is on the bottom floor?

What if the bad guys aren't using buckshot and they aren't concerned about background targets like you are?

You need to able to put them down quickly, and permanently. I'm not trying to tell you how to defend your home, I'm just offering up some things you might consider. Personally I would stick with .00 buckshot in 3 inch shells.

Move around your house in the dark and do it carrying the shotgun with you. It's one thing to move about without a long metal object sticking out in front of you but moving about that same environment with a shotgun takes on a different set of parameters doesn't it? Include the kids in your practice. Get your son to hide in the dark house and then come out of your bedroom and move about. When he sees you he should tell you. This will help you learn where the blind spots are, where the choke points are and where the floor creaks.

If all of you are on the same sheet of music and have a plan it gives you an advantage in the event someone comes calling in the night. If you don't work out a plan with them then expect the unexpected. When the shooting starts people do things you never thought they would. So it might be a good idea to take everyone to the range and let them hear how loud guns are so they don't panic if they hear the shots.

Not knowing the layout of your house or how many kids you have or their ages the best advice I can offer is to figure out how everyone can get to safety and that they all know what they need to do. It's a plan that you have to work out with them, no one can do it for you. You know them better than anyone. Just some things to think about.

By the way, nice shotgun.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Junkie

great advice,thanks alot
my kids have been with me hunting and target shooting since they were very small so they know gun safety and what it is to hear them in different situations.
we have an emergency planned worked out at the house already in case something unforseen should arise.
be armed and safe everyone.

Quick Reply: best 12 gauge home defense ammo??