Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

backyard shooting solution???

Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backyard shooting solution???

i would like to set up some kind of backyard shooting solution. any ideas on how to construct one? i am wide open to suggestion. i would like to be able to use it for my pistols as well as my ar15 and 12 ga. thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi

Can I ask...........what exactly is a "shooting solution"...???
Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

How big is your yard and how close are your neighbors? If you have acres and acres build a 30 ft tall dirt berm and mark off some distances from it.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi

btw......I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything. Seriously....I was just wondering if he meant an actual shooting range, shooting platform/bench, shooting backdrop, etc...???
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
btw......I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything. Seriously....I was just wondering if he meant an actual shooting range, shooting platform/bench, shooting backdrop, etc...???
OP is a Palin fan... didn't really think the whole post through! JK!!!

Step 1: Check laws... here in GA we have to be outside city limits, a certain distance from a public road, and have a certain distance behind and around the designated impact area.

Step 2: If your legal to do what you want to do and are shooting small arms like you listed, you wont need much a back drop to stop or critically slow those rounds down.

main thing is what is behind your target. if you have a ton of trees or heavy brush, se up a boxed target with 3-4 deep in phone books, overlaping newspaper, etc. Of the rounds that do penetrate they should not make it far. I had a similar setup in my basement for a while with only 2 phone books deep and it worked for my 9mm and 38 and of course 22's

ultimately, unless you springs for some serious high dollar ballistic backing, any home made back drop will require frequent repair. good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a fun project. I would love to do it......but my neighbors would complain.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

IF you are outside city limits and have the required seperation between neighbors that your local laws require, PM me and I will get you some info. We just built our Precision Range, have already got Pistol, Shotgun and Carbine ranges built. We moved this year to accomodate bigger LEO classes and the Barret rifle my co-instructor owns as well as my Sniper class that goes on the books in November.

Quick Reply: backyard shooting solution???