Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Attraction to guns?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brisnut
What is it with all the US gun lobbly bullshit being told about other countries all over the internet and sheeple who fall for it anyway?
Oh yeah I'm so bitter & jealous I don't need a gun to go camping at the beach for fear of some drunken loony from another campsite shooting at me with a gun.

And this type of thinking will keep gun ownership away from its citizens. This is typical hype hysteria.

I have yet to read any newspaper article where "some drunken Looney" has shot up someone a campsite.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

It seems sad nowhere seems safe in your "free" country, nowhere on the planet is truely safe I guess, but some of you can't relax anywhere for fear of a 20 person massacre, you need a gun everywhere, even while drinking at a bar too I guess. Heck, some probably feel the need to carry a gun at a snow/beach resort for fear of a loony goes wild with an AK47 any minute.
The more I hear from some of you guys the more the US sounds like one of those action gunfight movies. I suspect if it was really as bad as some make it out to be you should be wearing vests everywhere too, because not everyone gets the first shot off.
Walk into any public place in any state here armed with any weapon and most people would just duck for cover and run for it and within 20min there would be a dozen cops ready to shoot you if you didn't heed the first warning to drop the weapon.
I don't care if you seem friendly or not, I don't want to be in the same building incase some of the cops miss

LOL, so assuming a bad guy walks into a public place where you are and starts to harm people and you can't run.....what would you do to defend yourself for those 20 minutes?? Would you throw your boomerang at him? Sick your kangaroo on him?

You'd curl up in the fetal position, praying to god that nothing happens to you, and that the police arrive soon.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait 20 minutes for the cops of course.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mjolnir
But to carry a handgun with you to a Denny's for Sunday breakfast is what I don't get. Same thing with bringing one with you on the trail, are your Jeep buddies going to rob you? I just don't understand the logic which is what I think "most of us Canadian's" take issue with.

The Denny's situation has already been explained, so you can see that it is not that far-fetched. This type of thing happens all the time.

I have a hard time understanding your Jeeping scenario. If I go camping, 4wheeling, hunting, etc, I'm usually in the wilderness. No, i'm not worried about getting robbed. However, I do worry about coyotes, bears, snakes, etc. I also worry about those weird people from The Hills Have Eyes
Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Yeah gun related deaths or even crime related deaths aren't anywhere near US levels, most of our deaths involve other ways of killing people not guns because for the average criminal a gun is an expensive aquisition, you can't just break into anyones house when they aren't home and steal one or pick one up off your dead homeboy cuz.
I tend to believe what our media shows on the news everynight for the last 10 years rather than numbers posted by pro-gun lobby, would they lie to you and if they did would you care? 300%? 400%? No real difference............
We weren't completely disarmed like groups are leading everyone to believe, and we don't live in fear of armed robbery behind 8 foot fences either.
Our government has taken over the country, and if we don't like them we just vote them out, not that there's any difference between the 2 parties anyway.
We are happy with our situation, most of our population is in cities or suburbia, and the cops keep crime under control pretty well without fear of being shot at everyday. If crime is so bad you all need to arm yourselves then I suspect your policing could be improved somehow. I believe from what I read on the internet from people like you guys is that you guys do need your guns for self defence (not shooting your government), but is it the long term answer?
And the zombies, more fun to run them over anyway, though maybe a hardtop might be prudent
Brisnut,

I will attempt to be as respectful as possible to you and other Austrailians that believe as you do. First you live on an island your criminals can not flee prosecution to another country that does not extradite very easily. Second you do not have an illeagal alien crime wave sweeping your country. Third you have 21 million people in your country. We have 19 million people in Los Angeles County the county that boarders mine. We have thousands of cities and hundreds of counties, in 50 states. Fourth we do not have an acurate accounting for the people we have in the country, and no recorse against those that are unacounted for. Fifth we have 2.5 million people behind bars in this country that is more than 10% of your whole population.

I respect Austrailia for their standing against terrorism when others would not. However your situations regarding crime and freedoms are not comparable. You just do not understand the scale of our problems are more than 10xS as large. Our country would not be in existance without the right to keep and bear arms we have a history of seeking freedom and rejecting tyrany. We do not as Americans look to the Government for answers. The government is supposed to work for us not against us. We do not give our freedoms away here. They were given to us by God and thus are God's to take away.

I understand you being afraid of what you do not understand. I am as well, but I educate myself. In the United States it is the criminal with un-registered firearms usually smuggled in from Asia or Mexico or otherwise unknown (I know this because I work in the Port of Los Angeles) that commit the overwealming majority of the violent crime here. We have many problems with our country that need to be corrected before we can rely on our police/govt. to protect us here. Because we have an open country where people are free to travel without papers and because we have 5,000 miles of open boarders with neighboring countries we have criminals that use our freedoms against us (the citizens) case in point Sept. 11th, 2001.

Please do not take anything I say as a slam on you or your people. I have as one of my life long goals to see your beautiful country in person and meet what at least from my perspective some wonderful people. But please stop insisting that Americans give up there freedoms because of your fears. I own several guns I will not be in a situation where my family needs protecting and as a man my only option is to find a phone and make a phone call in hopes that the dire situation will take a time out for 10 minutes until the cops arrive. In the US home invasion robberies are on the rise. These crimes are espesially dangerous and there is no way they can be resolved by the police period. These crimes take place in a matter of a couple minutes. More than half of these situation end with the homeowner/renter(s) dead.

"Since 1926, the National Rifle Association's (NRA) flagship publication has without pause featured "The Armed Citizen," a column that reports instances in which law-abiding citizens have successfully defended their property, person, and/or family with firearms. These reports are brief (100 to 200 words) and have remained remarkably untouched over the past 80 years with regard to style, diction, and narrative structure. one of thousands of examples; Around 12:30 a.m., George R. England Jr. drove up to a home in Clay County, Mo. England got out of his car and began yelling towards the home, asking the inhabitants to come out and let him in. After hearing England yell, the homeowners called the police. While the homeowners were still on the phone with the 911 dispatcher, England broke through the front door and came into the home. Once it became clear England was inside, one of the homeowners fired at England with a handgun, striking him. Shortly afterwards, England was taken to a local hospital. He was charged with first-degree burglary upon his release.

Clay County Prosecutor Daniel White will not pursue any charges against the homeowners, and went on to say, “The homeowner in this instance acted with remarkable restraint… He ensured the safety of his family, repeatedly advised England that England was neither his friend nor acquaintance, only shot when England forced open the front door of the residence.” (The Kansas City Star, Kansas City, Mo. 01/26/09)"

These events are sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes scary, sometimes funny, but always show that a well trained armed citizen can defend himself/herself against being a victim of violent crime. Police can not be in all places at all times relying on them is ignorant and naive, you will lose everytime.

So Brisnut and others in Canada and England who have made similar comments, I have a newborn baby and a wife at home, I live in a violent society that is getting worse (IMHO because citzens are giving up their guns to politicians). I do not need you to reach half way across the globe and try to strip from me any means that I may use to prevent my "baby" and my "baby doll" from being victims of violent crime. You can willfully give your rights away if you so desire. I do not advocate everyone run out and buy a gun, it is a decision that requires careful thought. If you do not have the ability to stand up for yourself or your family in a self defence situation you should not buy a gun because it will be taken away from you and used against you.

I emplore you to look at this in a new light. Take for example the following story;

This morning in Los Angeles, California a man driving on the 10 freeway decided to turn around after several miles and drive backwards on the freeway. He eventually struck another car head on and killed himself and one othe driver. The cars burst into flames and closed down the freeway to commuters for several hours.

What does this have to do with guns? Some of you already know what I am about to say. In your (anti-gun community) flawed logic the car itself was the culprit not the man driving. Cars are now demonized and a whole culture springs up to clasify them as evil and full of hate etc. etc. etc. Do you see that a car, or a dollar, or a gun, or a knife, or a plane, or school bus can not be evil, yet all of these things have been involved in the death of others. What else will you soon be giving up. The most illogical choice is the gun, because that is the only object that offers you a good chance at self protection.

I am not trying to be sophmoric in my arguments here just to help you to understand there is evil in the world and you can pretend that if you make really strick laws evil will abide them, but you know in your heart evil disregards laws and consequences, while you and I try to live within them. Please read this carefully and re-think your position.

sincerely
dan (father and husband)

Last edited by Dwikto; 01-28-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Default some more stories

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fort Wayne, Indiana

From WSJV of January 22, 2009
Suspected robber dies in liquor store shooting

Fort Wayne police are investigating a shooting at a liquor store that left a suspected robber dead and a store clerk wounded.

The shooting occurred Wednesday afternoon at Belmont Beverage on the city's south side.

Police spokesman Mike Joyner says the store employee was shot in the leg and was hospitalized in fair condition Wednesday night.

Police say the robbery suspect entered the store and demanded money. When police arrived, they found him lying in the middle of the street. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Joyner says the shots were fired inside the building. He says the suspect was armed with a handgun, which was found at the scene.

The names of the robbery suspect and store employee were not immediately released.
Labels: defender shot, IN

posted by Dave at 9:17 AM permalink

Tuscon, Arizona

From the Arizona Star of January 27, 2009
Apparent robber shot dead at store

An employee at a South Side convenience store shot and killed one of two men trying to rob the store Monday and was himself wounded in the brief shootout, police said.

Two men walked into the Grand Market, in the 6200 block of South Sixth Avenue, sometime before 5:30 p.m., said Sgt. Mark Robinson, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.

They shot at an employee, a man in his early 50s, who fired back, Robinson said.

The employee shot one of the would-be-robbers, an 18-year-old, who ran outside into the parking lot where he collapsed and died. The other robber ran away, and police are still looking for him, Robinson said.

The employee was also shot. He was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Robinson said.

Witnesses described the missing suspect as in his mid-20s to early 30s. He was wearing a black-and-white football jersey and a red bandanna, Robinson said.

Margarita Grajeda lives in the area and drops into the Grand Market from time to time.

Grajeda wasn't surprised that someone could get shot trying to rob the market. She said the store had been robbed before, and it was only a matter of time before someone at the store was forced to shoot.

"I knew somebody was going to get shot someday," she said.

As for the store owners, she said she hoped they were all right.

"They're such nice people. So nice," she said.
Labels: AZ, business robbery, defender shot

posted by Dave at 9:11 AM permalink

Sacramento, California

From MSNBC of January 27, 2009
Resident Spots Intruder, Fires Shot

A Sacramento resident confronted an alleged burglar in a back yard and fired a gunshot, but the intruder fled and it was not clear if anyone was hurt, police said.

A police report said a resident of 2600 block of Ensenada Way saw someone with a flashlight in the home's yard shortly after 1 a.m. Friday.

The resident told police he believed someone was trying to break into a shed behind the residence.

Authorities said the resident grabbed a handgun and went outside to confront the intruder.

The intruder cut the resident in the face with an unknown weapon and the resident responded by firing one shot in self-defense.

The intruder left. Police said it was not known if the intruder was injured, adding that no blood trail was found.
Labels: assault, CA, trespassing

posted by Dave at 9:08 AM permalink

Wilmington, North Carolina

From the Star News of January 19, 2009
Store clerk pistol whips would-be robber

A 51-year-old man who police say was pistol-whipped by a convenience store owner Monday night is in the New Hanover County jail, officials said Tuesday. Donald Leroy Frazier of Wilmington is charged with assault with a deadly weapon, according to a statement from Officer Crystal Williamson of the Wilmington Police Department. Officers responded to the Chestnut Food Market at 10:50 p.m. and found Frazier lying on his back in front of the business, bleeding from his face. The store clerk told officers Frazier pulled a knife and pointed it close to the clerk’s chest, according to the police statement. The clerk pulled a pistol and fired a shot but missed. When Frazier refused to leave, the clerk hit him in the face with the handgun, according to the police statement. After the incident, Monday night, Shadie Abdallah, part-owner of the store, said when he was closing for the night, a man who he recognized came in and tried to stab him. The man did not demand money. At the time, police said the suspect was taken to an area hospital. E.B. Davis, who lives near the store, watched as police examined the crime scene and spoke with witnesses. Davis said he has lived in the neighborhood 30 years and he has seen wrecks and shootings in the vicinity of the store. He described it as a corner hangout. Children going to a nearby school pass by the corner and Davis said that concerns him. He said police should do something to clean up the corner. Frazier is being held on a $500 bond.
Labels: assault, NC

posted by Dave at 9:05 AM permalink

Chicago, Illinois

From the Chicago Sun-Times of January 19, 2009
Man shot during West Side home invasion

A man was shot by a resident of a home he was allegedly invading on the West Side late Sunday.

About 10 p.m., a man in his 20s was allegedly committing a home invasion and a resident inside the home at 4453 W. Cortez St. shot him, according to a Harrison District police lieutenant.

Charges were pending Monday morning against the man shot, who was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital in an unidentified condition.

Police have not ruled out the possibility that the shooter would face charges also.

Harrison Area detectives are investigating.
Labels: home invasion, IL

posted by Dave at 9:03 AM permalink

Hillview, Kentucky

From the Louisville Courier-Journal of January 22, 2009
Hillview man charged in break-in at bait shop

A Hillview man been charged with burglary after allegedly breaking into a Louisville bait-and-tackle business and being shot at by the owner Saturday.

Eric Lee Wade, 24, is accused of breaking a window and entering Pepper Tackle Shop on Dixie Highway in Valley Station about 11:30 p.m., said Lt. Jim Mueller with the Louisville Metro Police robbery unit.

A 16-year-old Jefferson County juvenile was involved, according to Mueller, but it was uncertain last night if he has been charged in the Pepper break-in.

Norman Pepper, the owner of the store and an unsuccessful candidate for the Metro Council District 14 seat, said in an interview yesterday that when two people entered his business after hours, he fired a shot at one of the men and a second shot to scare them off.

The two crawled back out the window and got into a car, said Pepper, who is 67. He managed to fire three shots into the car before the occupants fled.

The vehicle was later found abandoned on the Gene Snyder Freeway near Dixie Highway.

"They didn't have time to do anything. I was on them," Pepper said. "There was no time to be scared."

He then called the police. While his shop has been burglarized before, this is the first time he has shot at an intruder, he said.

Both Wade and the juvenile have been charged with robbery in three other cases -- hold-ups earlier Saturday at Circle K, 9111 Blue Lick Road; on Jan. 13 at First America Cash Advance, 6661 Dixie Highway; and on Jan. 10 at Cash Tyme, 11340 Preston Highway, Mueller said.

Two people would enter the businesses wearing masks, brandish a sawed-off shotgun or a pistol and demand money, Mueller said. No one was injured in any of the robberies.

Wade was arrested Monday, and the juvenile was arrested Tuesday, he said.

The juvenile has been charged with three counts of first-degree robbery, Mueller said.

Wade has been charged with three counts of first-degree robbery, one count of second-degree burglary and one count of having a vehicle that is a nuisance, according to Metro Corrections. He is being held on a $500,000 bond.
Labels: business robbery, KY, minor offender

posted by Dave at 8:57 AM permalink

Uniontown, Pennsylvania

From WPXI of January 27, 2009
Elderly Man Fires Shots At Robbers As They Flee Home

For the second time in a month, 82-year-old Kenneth Plummer Jr. was the victim of a home invasion, by robbers at his Fayette County home Monday night.

"They got my wallet and ran through the house and got away with $350," Plummer said.

Just before Christmas, a man broke in, but Plummer chased him away with a butcher knife.

"I want somebody dead if they come back," Plummer said.

The robbers pried upon a locked door, assaulted Plummer and removed cash from his pocket and another part of the Kaider Road house.

State police said that as they left, Plummer went for his gun and fired three rounds at them.

"Very unusual, yes. I can't recall seeing anything like this in my 15 years here," said trooper Thomas Broadwater.

Broadwater said it may be time for Plummer to consider a security system.

"He's obviously very shaken. He just has no idea why they're doing this,” Broadwater said.

If you have any information about the three men who invaded Plummer's home you are asked to call state police at the Uniontown barracks.
Labels: home invasion, PA, residence robbery

posted by Dave at 8:38 AM permalink

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Houston, Texas

From the January 23, 2009 Houston Chronicle:

Homicide detectives are still investigating an overnight shooting in which a resident of a north Houston apartment said he disarmed a burglar and killed him with his own gun.

The shooting occurred about 10 p.m. Thursday at the Worthington Apartments at 1350 Greens Parkway, KHOU Channel 11 reported.

Police said two residents reported that they came home and found that two men had broken into their apartment.

One of the intruders had a gun, which was wrestled away from him during a struggle with the residents, police said.

The resident fired, killing one of the burglars, while the other ran away, police were told.

Labels: defender's gun taken away and used against him, residence burglary, TX

posted by Clayton at 11:54 AM permalink

Little Rock, Arkansas

From January 22, 2009 KATV channel 7:

Little Rock - Two people are in custody following a west Little Rock home intrusion during which one suspect was shot.

The incident occurred around 2:30 a.m. Thursday at 31 Marcella Drive.

Authorities say a resident inside the home exchanged gunfire with one of the intruders, shooting him in the hip before the trio fled. As police officers were en route to the scene, they noticed a suspicious vehicle, and a chase began.

Keaton suffered a gunshot wound to his left hip, and was transported to a local hospital. Davis was taken into custody and charged with attempted capital murder, obstruction of justice, and numerous robbery charges. Charges are still pending against Keaton.

A third suspect remains on the loose.

No one in the home was injured.
Labels: AR, home invasion

posted by Clayton at 11:06 AM permalink

Houston, Texas

From the January 21, 2009 Houston Chronicle:

One man was killed and another ran for his life early today after they broke into a northwest Houston apartment and were met with gunfire from one of the residents, police said.

Detectives this morning were trying to identify the man who was killed by a shotgun blast about 3:15 a.m. at the Shadow Creek Apartments in the 7500 block of Pinemont near Hollister.

The two men who live in the ground-floor apartment told officers they were preparing to watch a movie when they heard a loud noise. Their front door was suddenly kicked open and two men burst into the apartment, one of them holding a revolver, police were told.

Both residents grabbed shotguns and one of them fired, killing one of the intruders while the other ran away.

Police said the residents did not know the attackers. It was not immediately clear why the men targeted that apartment.

Labels: home invasion, TX

posted by Clayton at 11:03 AM permalink

Cambria, California

From the January 21, 2009 San Luis Obispo Tribune:

Sheriff's deputies are looking for a man who attempted to rob a Cambria home Sunday night.

A couple was in their home on Lone Palm Drive around 7:45 p.m. when they heard a pounding on a rear sliding glass door, according to sheriff's officials. When the husband shined a flashlight toward the noise, he saw a person wearing a ski mask kicking at the glass.

The husband told his wife to call 911, and he got a loaded rifle from a nearby closet. When the homeowner returned to the sliding glass door, the masked man apparently looked at the rifle and ran away.

Deputies and state parks rangers searched the area on foot and with a K9, but could not find the man.

"Masked suspects attempting home invasion burglaries in this area is unusual," said Commander Ken Conway of the Sheriff's Department.

Labels: CA, home invasion

posted by Clayton at 11:00 AM permalink

Dallas, Texas

From January 21, 2009 Fox News channel 4:

DALLAS -- A 17-year-old burglary suspect ended up shot to death late Wednesday morning when he confronted a man with a gun in an east Oak Cliff home

Dallas police say Gabriel Flores allegedly kicked in the door of a home in the 300 block of Hobson St. He was still inside when the 51-year-old son of the elderly homeowners came by to drop off a newspaper.

The son, who has a concealed handgun license and was carrying his weapon, confronted Flores. Police say Flores drew his own weapon and fired at the son as he fled the house. The son returned fire and struck Flores once.

Flores died later at the hospital. The case will be referred to a grand jury. The homeowners were not at home during the shooting, and no one else was hurt.
Labels: concealed carry permit, residence burglary, TX

posted by Clayton at 10:58 AM permalink

Houston, Texas

From the January 20, 2009 Houston Chronicle:

A woman accused of shooting a man with a bow and arrow at her father's workplace before being shot by two civilians and a Houston police officer has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Julie Parker, 33, was listed in fair condition at Ben Taub General Hospital today with several gunshot wounds suffered in the Monday afternoon incident.

Police and witnesses said that Parker shot Armando Silva in the chest with a hunting bow and arrow after she entered the offices of Texas Components Corp. in northwest Houston.

Silva, 49, was reported in good condition at Ben Taub today.

Police are still trying to determine the motive for the incident. Officers said the violence erupted after Parker came into the office in the 1600 block of West Sam Houston Parkway with a hunting bow and arrows and what appeared to be a handgun about 3 p.m. Monday.

Her father works there and was in the building at the time, police said, but it was not clear whether she was looking for him.

After walking into the company's micro-electronics division, Parker shot Silva with an arrow and then pointed the apparent gun at two other employees, police said.

Those employees, who are licensed to carry concealed handguns, fired "numerous" shots at Parker, hitting her several times, investigators said.

Parker dropped her pistol, which later was found not to be a real gun, and retreated to an office with the bow and arrow, officers said. Workers at nearby businesses took cover and called police.
Labels: altercation, concealed carry permit, TX

posted by Clayton at 10:53 AM permalink

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fayetteville, North Carolina

From the Fayetteville Observer of January 19, 2009
Intruder fatally shot during struggle with resident

A Tokay Drive resident fatally shot a man who broke into his house Saturday night, police said Sunday.

The names of the resident and the victim were not immediately available.

The incident happened about 8:30 p.m. at 593 Tokay Drive, according to a Fayetteville police news release.

The resident entered his house and found the intruder inside, the release said.

The resident pulled out a pistol he was carrying and began struggling with the intruder, the release said.

The gun fired during the struggle, and the intruder ran out of the house, the release said.

It was not known how many shots were fired, a police spokesman said Sunday.

A short time later, a man with a gunshot wound was brought to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

The man, believed to be the intruder, apparently called friends for help instead of dialing 911, the police spokesman said.

“His friends determined that he needed medical assistance and transported him to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center,” the spokesman said.
Labels: home invasion, NC

posted by Dave at 11:27 PM permalink

Omaha, Nebraska

From MSNBC of January 16, 2009
County Attorney: Shop Owner Fired In Self-Defense

No charges will be filed against the Omaha shop owner who shot and killed two people in his business Tuesday night because he fired in self-defense, said Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine.

Kleine said Andre McKesson, the owner of Midwest Grillz and Jewelry at 62nd Street and Ames Avenue, fired after 14 or 15 shots.

Kleine said police told him McKesson got into an argument with Willie Wakefield, 29, and Marcel Davis, 16. At one point, Wakefield allegedly fired two shots in the direction of McKennon.

Kleine said McKesson returned fire, killing Davis and Wakefield and wounding Brandon Boyce, 22, who was outside waiting for Davis and Wakefield.

The investigation into the case is continuing.
Labels: business robbery, NE

posted by Dave at 5:19 AM permalink
Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Default and some more.......

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Miami County, Kansas

From the Miami County Republic of January 8, 2009
Armed resident defends home against burglars

A home intruder got more than he bargained for Thursday morning at a residence in rural Wellsville.

Miami County Sheriff’s deputies responded to 37895 W. 239th St. after a resident reported hearing a break-in at his home, according to a sheriff’s office news release.

The lone resident hid in the closet on the second floor until he heard the suspect enter the room and open the closet door. The resident then declared he had a firearm, and the suspect fled the house, according to the release.

The suspect is described as a white male, 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighing about 215 pounds. He was wearing a blue jacket, blue jeans and a ski mask.

The armed homeowner watched the suspect flee in a newer blue Chevrolet extended cab S-10 pickup truck, according to the release. Deputies searched the area but could not locate the vehicle.

A short time later, another resident in the area reported suspicious people at her home fitting the same appearance and vehicle description.

According to the release, the homeowner met them at her door and was asked if an unknown person lived there. When she told them “no,” they left.

Sheriff’s officers warn that this type of activity can also be a ploy of residential burglars. They knock on the door, and when nobody answers, they break in. If contacted at the door, they ask for a fictitious person.
Labels: home invasion, KS

posted by Dave at 11:27 PM permalink

Dalzell, South Carolina

From the Sumpter Item of January 17, 2009
Armed robbery goes awry

A masked bandit tried to rob the wrong store Thursday night.

A police report said about 11:19 p.m. a black man in his mid to late 20s brandished a shotgun at a 73-year-old store owner, demanded money and fired once, hitting the wall behind the owner. The store owner pulled out his own gun and returned fire and called 911 as the man fled the store on foot.

Smoking a cigarette not long after lunch time Friday, Milton McCarty leaned on the counter behind the cashier’s area, a half cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup resting near his elbow. He said he’s owned McCarty’s Super Convenience Store at 3909 Camden Highway for 40 years and when he works at night, he always carries his weapon, declining to say exactly what kind.

“He fired at me and I fired back at him and it was over with,” he said matter of factly, “and he took to running.”

He quickly dialed 911, he said, and officers were on the scene in minutes.

“I think I got him in the face a little bit, and that was it,” he said.

The robber — having robbed nothing actually — ran out the door heading east on Camden Highway, McCarty said, hooking his thumb in the air, pointing behind him. McCarty simply shook his head and let out a laugh when asked what he was thinking when the gunman opened fire.

“I carry mine (his weapon) all the time,” he said. “Everything’s fine.”

McCarty said this wasn’t the first time he’s had to use his gun while working, either.

“I shot one other fellow,” a while back, he said, but declined to get into details.

The suspect is described as 5 feet 9 inches tall and 165 pounds. He was wearing a black jacket, black shoes, blue jeans and a mask McCarty said was navy blue.

Sumter County Sheriff Anthony Dennis said investigators were working to enhance the video images of the man and said they were unsure if the man left in a car after running out of the store.

“We’re not sure if there was a vehicle,” he said.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office at (803) 436-2700 or Crime Stoppers at (803) 436-2718. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward.
Labels: business robbery, SC

posted by Dave at 11:07 PM permalink

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dumphries, Virginia

From WJLA of January 14, 2009
2 Arrested, 1 Still Sought in Would-be Robbery

An armed woman who stayed home sick from work Wednesday turned out to be a would-be robber's worst nightmare.

Police say an alarm went off Wednesday in broad daylight in the 3300 block of Dondis Creek Drive in Dumfries, prompting the home's owner to her basement door where she found three men trying to get inside.

"When she confronts them, the men take off and one of them returned," said Officer Erika Hernandez, Prince William County.

That is when the woman opened fire, striking the would-be robber in the upper body. Police caught him and he was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries. Police later caught the second suspect, but are still looking for the third.

"That was an experience with the cop cars and the helicopters, I was wondering what was going on," said Joshua Washington, a neighbor.

Police say it appears the homeowner was within her rights to shoot the suspect, however, police are still investigating.
Labels: female, trespassing, VA

posted by Dave at 10:27 AM permalink

South Bend, Indiana

From the South Bend Tribune of January 10, 2009
National media seek out South Bend woman

Sandra Hochstedler, the 70-year-old woman who held an intruder at gunpoint earlier this week, is out of the hospital and making the media rounds.

On Friday afternoon, a production crew with the news magazine Inside Edition visited Hochstedler's home to re-create the harrowing standoff for a segment to air on the show.

"It was quite a production. It was really interesting," Hochstedler said early Friday evening, shortly after the crew and host Les Trent had left her Portage Road home in northern St. Joseph County. "I really had to act. It was almost like I was in a studio."

"I'm hoping it will be inspiring to others," she said of the reason she agreed to film the segment, "to let them know that they can do this, that they can protect their homes. And if it comes to it, they can take extreme action."

On Sunday evening, as Hochstedler was hauling firewood from her garage into her home, a man reportedly came running at her from the street and chased her inside.

She grabbed her gun and dialed 911, she said, and after the man burst through her living room window she held him at gunpoint until police arrived, threatening to shoot him dead if he moved.

The story was immediately picked up by local media outlets, and soon, the national media came calling as well.

Besides Inside Edition, Hochstedler said she has been contacted by ABC News, Good Morning America, and the Fox News morning show Fox and Friends.

Although flattered, Hochstedler said she is still a bit baffled by all of the attention.

"It takes my breath away," she said her newfound celebrity, "because I'm like, 'What? How did it get national attention? What is the big deal about? Doesn't everyone try to protect their home?'æ"

Hochstedler said she has been slow in responding to some requests for interviews because she was only released from the hospital on Thursday. She was taken there Sunday evening after complaining of chest pains.

"By the time I was done being a tough woman and yelling at (the intruder) like I wasn't afraid, I sat down at the dining room table and it just all came out of me," she recalled.

At the hospital, Hochstedler said, doctors informed her she had actually suffered a heart attack and needed to have a cardiac catheter inserted to check for arterial blockage.

"I was resisting having it," she said of the procedure, explaining that she doesn't normally require a lot of "doctoring," "but they told me this was life threatening, that part of my heart had already died."

"It was due to shock," she continued. "It happens to people sometimes. That's what they call being scared to death."

Now that she's feeling better, Hochstedler said she wants to help others. As vice president of the German Township Neighborhood Association, she said she'd like to organize seminars to educate her neighbors on how to better secure their homes and protect themselves and their families.
Labels: female, home invasion, IN

posted by Dave at 10:22 AM permalink

Hallifax County, Virginia

From the WDBJ of January 13, 2009
Clerk shoots would-be robber in Halifax County

A store clerk shoots a would-be robber.

According to the Halifax County Sheriff's Office, the clerk called 911 to report an armed robbery at Max's Grocery in Scottsburg.

The clerk told the sheriff's office a man entered the store around 6:30 p.m. armed with a handgun and demanded money. The sheriff's office said the clerk shot the suspect who then left on foot.

Deputies found the suspect around 8:20 p.m. in some woods near the store. He was taken to Halifax Regional Hospital with an apparent gun shot wound to the chest.

The suspect, Richard Anthony Snead, has been charged with attempted armed robbery and use of a firearm in commission of a felony.

Anyone with further information on this attempted robbery is asked to call the Halifax County Sheriff's Office at 434-476-3334.
Labels: business robbery, VA

posted by Dave at 10:18 AM permalink

Atlanta, Georgia

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution of January 15, 2009
Robbery suspect shot, killed in East Atlanta

A robbery suspect was shot and killed by his intended victim outside an East Atlanta Village bar late Wednesday, Atlanta police said Thursday.

Police do not believe the shooting has any connection to the recent high-profile killing at a Grant Park bar.

The suspected robber, a 29-year-old man from the Decatur area, carried a Colt .40-caliber handgun, while the gun that killed bar worker John Henderson was a 9mm, Atlanta police Detective Michael Willis said.

The killing Wednesday comes a week after Henderson’s killing in another popular hangout about two miles away, Standard Food & Spirits, sparked an outpouring of community support and galvanized grassroots efforts to improve public safety by some who say the city is becoming more dangerous.

Willis said he could not release the identity of the dead man Thursday morning because he had not yet notified relatives of his death.

The detective also declined to name the man and woman police said were the intended robbery victims. The man who opened fire in self defense is a 28-year-old who works in the airline industry and lives in a northern suburb of Atlanta, possibly Cobb County, Willis said.

The woman he was with — they have been dating for a couple of months — is around 40 years old and lives in the Marietta area, Willis said.

Wednesday night, the couple made their way to the popular East Atlanta Village, known for its trendy bars and eateries, because they have been taking swing-dancing lessons, Willis said.

Their dancing instructor told them that one of the East Atlanta bars, Graveyard Tavern, had “big band nights,” Willis said.

“So they came down here to dance,” Willis said.

When they left the bar around 11:15 p.m., the man gave his date the keys to his Ford Ranger pickup truck so she could drive. They walked to the truck, parked in an Ace Hardware lot across a side street on the same side of Glenwood Avenue.

Inside the vehicle, the woman was adjusting the driver’s seat and mirrors when the man looked over his shoulder and saw a man standing at his passenger window, Willis said.

Believing the man was going to beg for money, the passenger rolled down his window a few inches, Willis said. But he had a strange feeling about the man, so he grabbed his gun from the glove box and put it on his lap, Willis said.

He asked the stranger what he wanted, and noticed the man was reaching for his waistband or pockets, the detective said. Instinctively, the passenger shoved open his door, knocking the suspected robber back a few feet, Willis said. The woman started screaming.

The man got out of the truck and the suspected robber raised a weapon at him, Willis said. “When he saw that, he just started shooting,” the detective said.

The man shot the suspected robber five or six times, in the stomach and chest, Willis said. The robber did not fire any shots.

“He just got the jump on him,” Willis said of the victim. “He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”

Willis said the man’s accuracy was impressive. In an interview later, the man told Willis that his brother used to shoot firearms competitively and taught him to shoot.

As one could expect, the shooting left the man and his companion visibly shaken.

“He actually said, ‘I’m surprised I haven’t thrown up yet,’ ” Willis said. “He was that upset.”

Willis said he did not know much about the suspected robber. A criminal background check did not reveal any recent arrests by Atlanta police, but he might have a criminal history in DeKalb County.
Labels: GA, street robbery

posted by Dave at 10:13 AM permalink

I will stop here because I really am not trying to be obnoxious, just share some useful information.

dan
Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Firearms have been a long family tradition in the US and Canada as well as other countries for a very long time. Clay shooting, skeet shooting, general target practice. It's all very family oriented and brings out good competetiveness.....is that a word? Well, you know what I'm trying to say. It is an American citizen's 2nd amendment right to own and bear firearms. My guess is the OP has never fired a weapon. Most who think like this have not. It is exciting, exhillerating and downright fun. .....and quite frankly.....yes, I hope in the back of my twisted mind someone will give me a chance to see what my S&W .50 caliber revolver will do to somebody. I know what it does to watermelons and pumpkins.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

First off, Dwikto (I'm not quoting becuase it's so long) I think you hit the nail on the head, it's a different culture with a different set of parameters

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Firearms have been a long family tradition in the US and Canada as well as other countries for a very long time. Clay shooting, skeet shooting, general target practice. It's all very family oriented and brings out good competetiveness.....is that a word? Well, you know what I'm trying to say.......It is exciting, exhillerating and downright fun. .....
I agree, nothing like going to a range and blowing up some clay with your buddies or sighting in that nice big buck with your dad, well I guess the drive down the muddy road to the range is just as good
Old 01-28-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default This is why I carry

http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/In-The-Line-Of-Duty/Florida-Paramedic-Shot--Killed-in-Restaurant-/39$58573

Florida Paramedic Shot, Killed in Restaurant
He was meeting his family during a break in training

Posted: 03-03-2008
Updated: 03-04-2008 09:18:41 AM

E-Mail This StoryE-MAIL THIS STORY Print This StoryPRINT THIS STORY

By BRIAN SKOLOFF
Associated Press Writer

Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue

Lt. Rafael Vazquez

AP Photo/J. Pat Carter

Police maintain a security area around a West Palm Beach, Fla. Wendy's where a gunman killed himself and Vazquez.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. --

Paramedic Rafael Vazquez left a training course on how to help when several people are hurt at once, and went to lunch at a nearby Wendy's. He became exactly the kind of victim he was being trained to save.

As Vazquez stood at the counter waiting to exchange a promotional toy for his child, he was shot point blank in the back by a gunman wearing a jacket, tie and baseball cap. Four others were wounded by gunfire during the lunch hour rampage Monday, and the 60-year-old gunman - Alburn Edward Blake of West Palm Beach - committed suicide.

Investigators were still unsure why Blake, a handyman and maintenance worker, chose the crowded restaurant, and why he decided to kill in a seemingly random attack.

"This was not a robbery. He didn't demand anything," said Paul Miller, a Palm Beach County sheriff's spokesman. "Looks like this was just another random shooting like we've seen around the United States."

Miller said Blake had no relation to anyone at the restaurant and no suicide note was found. "We don't know why he picked this location to do this horrible deed," Miller said.

Vazquez, the slain off-duty firefighter, "probably didn't even see him," said Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue Deputy Chief Steve Delai. Vazquez's wife and child were outside in the parking lot when the shooting began.

Vazquez, 42, was on a lunch break Monday and had been attending a course called "Strategy and Tactics," after being promoted to lieutenant in January. Delai said the course teaches officers how to "manage large-scale incidents like we had today."

Witnesses said Blake entered the restaurant and went to a restroom. He appeared nervous when he emerged and killed Vazquez. He died at the scene without ever uttering a word.

The injured - Louis Rader, 65; his wife, Antonia, 62; Vanessa Soto, 16; and a 43-year-old man who was not identified - were hospitalized in stable condition, Miller said. Two others had minor injuries, including one person who was hurt while running away.

Bob Bertini, a Wendy's Inc. spokesman based in Dublin, Ohio, called the shooting "a senseless tragedy."

The mayhem unfolded on a major suburban road lined with strip malls, car dealerships and fast food restaurants, about five miles from downtown West Palm Beach.

Josh Maynard, 30, said he and his 20-year-old brother Jerry hit the floor when Blake opened fire. Jerry Maynard said the shooter held his gun sideways, repeatedly pulling the trigger, and said nothing.

He emptied at least one clip before shooting himself in the head.

"I just saw a lady with a little boy in her arms come running out screaming, 'Somebody's shooting!'" said Sandra Jackson, 43, of Palm Springs, who had been getting gas across the street.

One customer, who authorities called a hero, kicked the pistol away from the gunman after he'd shot himself, then started first aid on the wounded.

Neighbors described Blake as a quiet man who "kept to himself." Public records show that Blake owned a maintenance and handyman company until 2003. A 1996 story in The Palm Beach Post showed that he accidentally ran over an 18-month-old girl with his van, leaving her seriously injured. The story said he had a young daughter, who would now be a teenager.

Michele Grippe watched police search Blake's apartment after the shooting. "The only thing they took out of the house was a bag of pills," Grippe said. "Right now, I'm really, really shocked."

Vazquez's wife was a law enforcement officer, a corporal at the nearby Palm Springs Public Safety Department. The couple had one child together and four from previous relationships.

"It's just tragic," said Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue Captain Don Delucia.

Quick Reply: Attraction to guns?