Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Attraction to guns?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjolnir

But to carry a handgun with you to a Denny's for Sunday breakfast is what I don't get. Same thing with bringing one with you on the trail, are your Jeep buddies going to rob you? I just don't understand the logic which is what I think "most of us Canadian's" take issue with.

Here is an example. Replace the name Luby's with Denny's if it helps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hennard
Old 01-27-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I do it to protect my tater tots and chicken nuggets. My pop gun is really scary and makes a loud POP when I squeeze the trigger.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smuhhh
Alright, I will start by saying that this out of true curiosity, and am not trying to upset anyone. I don't frequent the Guns forum on here, but do read the titles of the threads while browsing the main page. When I see threads like "I got a new gun!", I sense that the "!" indicates excitement. That honestly scares me. Obviously everyone has different views on weapons, and mine is going to vary from living in Canada I'm sure, but to me guns are malevolent and unnecesary. So what I am wondering is, what is the attraction to owning a gun? (namely a handgun). Do you use it for target practice? Do you own it just for the sake of having it and looking at it? Do you deep down hope someone will break into your house and you will need to defend your family with it? I'm just freaked out by the notion of having guns around me, and would like to know what the appeal is to others.

And again, I am not trying stir **** up, this was just running through my head.

I know that "guns don't kill people, people do"... but when was the last time you heard about someone throwing a bullet into someone and killing them right?
How do you feel about knives and axes? They too, are inanimate objects made of steel, as is your jeep....
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
X2....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Exactly my point. Guy brings gun to restaraunt, guy kills 20 people, I don't understand killing 20 people, therefore I don't understand bringing a gun to a restaraunt.

OK I'll stop being an SmartA$$, I know you meant for protecting yourself/family against such things. We have random crazy murder's like that here too, and your point is valid, for where you are from.

Actually this might help me explain more.

Walk into the restaraunt in Texas and I could see you and 3 other guys with guns, correct? normal for you, right?
Come up here and you see a guy (who's not a cop) in a restaraunt with a gun, not normal, that's the guy who's going to kill someone.

So grow up in Canada, even hunting and shooting your whole life, and then watch someone in a pulic place with a gun, it sets off our spidey sence because the only one in public with a gun is "that guy". Anyways, I hope that sheads some light on the why we don't get it........GD Canadian's eh?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by UCLA JK Rida'
No, but I've seen Chocolate Rain.

Russ D.
Some call it the metal rain of death. Guns firing so fast and furiously that a whole division can be cut down in 30 seconds or so, via a circling bomber.

The original idea stems I believe from our "peaceful brethren" from Australia.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

It seems sad nowhere seems safe in your "free" country, nowhere on the planet is truely safe I guess, but some of you can't relax anywhere for fear of a 20 person massacre, you need a gun everywhere, even while drinking at a bar too I guess. Heck, some probably feel the need to carry a gun at a snow/beach resort for fear of a loony goes wild with an AK47 any minute.
The more I hear from some of you guys the more the US sounds like one of those action gunfight movies. I suspect if it was really as bad as some make it out to be you should be wearing vests everywhere too, because not everyone gets the first shot off.
Walk into any public place in any state here armed with any weapon and most people would just duck for cover and run for it and within 20min there would be a dozen cops ready to shoot you if you didn't heed the first warning to drop the weapon.
I don't care if you seem friendly or not, I don't want to be in the same building incase some of the cops miss

Last edited by Brisnut; 01-28-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smuhhh
I know that "guns don't kill people, people do"... but when was the last time you heard about someone throwing a bullet into someone and killing them right?
nah, u don't hear about folks throwing bullets at other folks. You do hear about folks hitting folks with a hammer or cutting others fatally with a knife. Bows and arrows have even been in the news as far as inflicting wounds although I can't recall anybody dying from one lately. Folks were killing others way b4 guns and if the guns were to magically disappear folks would still b killing other folks.

It's not that I wish someone would come around and make me shoot them. I hope I never have to shoot another human being. However if I have a gun and never need it, I'll b better off than if I needed one and did not have it.

I also target shoot mostly to keep my skills honed to make a good swift kill while hunting but partially b cuz I enjoy shooting. I was raised that way. law abiding citizens carrying guns is a deterent (or should be) to the thugs that might walk into that resturant and shoot you. don't worry I've owned guns for years and have never shot another human being.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More anecdotes and and over the top statements... I really tried. I knew better and Happy C was spot on from the bgeinning.. I guess I thought it would be different given the unity that seems to exist on this forum and with Jeepers.

Guess you'll have to have an uninformed opinion of guns in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Brisnut
It seems sad nowhere seems safe in your "free" country, nowhere on the planet is truely safe I guess, but some of you can't relax anywhere for fear of a 20 person massacre, you need a gun everywhere, even while drinking at a bar too I guess. Heck, some probably feel the need to carry a gun at a snow/beach resort for fear of a loony goes wild with an AK47 any minute.
The more I hear from some of you guys the more the US sounds like one of those action gunfight movies. I suspect if it was really as bad as some make it out to be you should be wearing vests everywhere too, because not everyone gets the first shot off.
Walk into any public place in any state here armed with any weapon and most people would just duck for cover and run for it and within 20min there would be a dozen cops ready to shoot you if you didn't heed the first warning to drop the weapon.
I don't care if you seem friendly or not, I don't want to be in the same building incase some of the cops miss
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brisnut
... within 20min there would be a dozen cops ready to shoot you...
When seconds matter, the cops are only minutes away.

Quick Reply: Attraction to guns?