Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Attraction to guns?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awndray
Unfortunately for some of us here in Canada, our right to bear arms has gotten very complicated over the years.

http://www.rkba.ca/

However, I must admit that it is rather childish for anybody to use the Second Amendment as an excuse to why they have a firearm. It is akin to a 9 year old saying to their parent, "because I can," when asked why he threw a baseball through the living room window. If the only reason you can give is, because you have to the right, then to me it's as if you were simply doing it to piss some people off.

Be it as it may, I an a firearms enthusiast. If you have the right to bear arms in your country, then all the power to you. Just please don't use the Second Amendment as a cop out.
Sounds like you are a reasonable person and support of firearms. However, I don't follow the 9 year old comparison.. A 9 year can't exercise this right and doesn't have the maturity to do so.

I try to exercise everyone of the rights and freedoms the U.S. Constitution gives me. I served my Country so my family, friends and all Americans can do the same. I proudly say to all those who server how grateful I am am to them and those that have gone before us. If your reason to own a firearm is becuase the second ammendemnt says you can... Pwwer on, my friend.

Exercise your freedoms for if they are not - they will be lost...

For those that do own a gun for that reason or others - I do pray that you are a responsible and educated gun owner.

Semper Fi.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbfreebird
Sounds like you are a reasonable person and support of firearms. However, I don't follow the 9 year old comparison.. A 9 year can't exercise this right and doesn't have the maturity to do so.

I try to exercise everyone of the rights and freedoms the U.S. Constitution gives me. I served my Country so my family, friends and all Americans can do the same. I proudly say to all those who server how grateful I am am to them and those that have gone before us. If your reason to own a firearm is becuase the second ammendemnt says you can... Pwwer on, my friend.

Exercise your freedoms for if they are not - they will be lost...

For those that do own a gun for that reason or others - I do pray that you are a responsible and educated gun owner.

Semper Fi.
Perhaps my analogy wasn't the best. All I am saying is that it seems some people like to use the Constitution as an excuse. Most times however, it's those who have bad intentions who do so (use the Second Amendment as their one and only reason), whereas reasonable people (thank you, by the way) can back up their right to bear arms with good reason.

I've also served for my country. I know how you feel.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smuhhh
Alright, I will start by saying that this out of true curiosity, and am not trying to upset anyone. I don't frequent the Guns forum on here, but do read the titles of the threads while browsing the main page. When I see threads like "I got a new gun!", I sense that the "!" indicates excitement. That honestly scares me. Obviously everyone has different views on weapons, and mine is going to vary from living in Canada I'm sure, but to me guns are malevolent and unnecesary. So what I am wondering is, what is the attraction to owning a gun? (namely a handgun). Do you use it for target practice? Do you own it just for the sake of having it and looking at it? Do you deep down hope someone will break into your house and you will need to defend your family with it? I'm just freaked out by the notion of having guns around me, and would like to know what the appeal is to others.

And again, I am not trying stir **** up, this was just running through my head.

I know that "guns don't kill people, people do"... but when was the last time you heard about someone throwing a bullet into someone and killing them right?
I've heard of people throwing a knife into someone and killing them. I heard of women going ballistic and killing with kitchen knives. I've heard of more than one woman cutting off the mans family jewels with a carving knive.

Do you think that all those knives in the kitchen are causing people to go crazy? After all, knives don't kill peiple, people do. Did you ever see a person stab another with a pistol?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Perhaps my analogy wasn't the best. All I am saying is that it seems some people like to use the Constitution as an excuse. Most times however, it's those who have bad intentions who do so (use the Second Amendment as their one and only reason), whereas reasonable people (thank you, by the way) can back up their right to bear arms with good reason.

I've also served for my country. I know how you feel.

The right to bear arms was written by wise men who knew that governments get corrupted and wanted to ensure that once our gov't was corrupted we can take it back. Check out the history on this, most everyone was in accord with this thinking at the time. Now it appears we are close to the time to exercise out rights as Americans. We should return to our roots.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guns can be fun for target shooting, and useful tools for hunting or stock/pest control. They also seem to be pretty necessary for self defense over there due to the criminals ease of access to them. I am just glad to live in a country where guns are rarer than cricket bats and we don't fear our own government are communists secretly plotting to take over the whole country

Having said that if I want to I can still easily drive 20min to the nearest shooting range, show my drivers licence and hire a pistol, shotgun/rifle for a couple of hours. If I own a farm and want to cull roos & wild pigs, I can apply for a gun licence which I can then use to purchase a suitable firearm or 20 for the task that will be registered to my licence, so I can't resell guns to unlicenced people on E-bay.

Yeah, steakknives and screwdrivers can kill, but they aren't primarily designed to do that like guns are, so if people say unregulated use of anything pointy or sharp is justification for similar lack of regulations on firearms then I would have to say it's also justification on relaxation of regulation of anything that can kill, like grenades, mines, explosives, anti-vehicle/aircraft weaponrly. It sounds like it's clearly a govco plot that prevents people owning weaponary suitable for defending themselves from their own military s arsenal. Why else would it be regulating the use of body armour or usage of armed military vehicles.

Doesn't it seem a little weird you can carry a concealed handgun legally in many places but not openly wear body armour, crossbow, katana or battle axe?

I suspect it is possible the constitution may have been not been the best answer when they planned for it's impact on current society so far in the future. But it's your country, your choices. I just find it a little bizarre that on modern society someone can think the right to be armed so you csn kill people is the best way to keep control of your own government.

Last edited by Brisnut; 01-26-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brisnut
Guns can be fun for target shooting, and useful tools for hunting or stock/pest control. They also seem to be pretty necessary for self defense over there due to the criminals ease of access to them. I am just glad to live in a country where guns are rarer than cricket bats and we don't fear our own government are communists secretly plotting to take over the whole country

Having said that if I want to I can still easily drive 20min to the nearest shooting range, show my drivers licence and hire a pistol, shotgun/rifle for a couple of hours. If I own a farm and want to cull roos & wild pigs, I can apply for a gun licence which I can then use to purchase a suitable firearm or 20 for the task that will be registered to my licence, so I can't resell guns to unlicenced people on E-bay.

Yeah, steakknives and screwdrivers can kill, but they aren't primarily designed to do that like guns are, so if people say unregulated use of anything pointy or sharp is justification for similar lack of regulations on firearms then I would have to say it's also justification on relaxation of regulation of anything that can kill, like grenades, mines, explosives, anti-vehicle/aircraft weaponrly. It sounds like it's clearly a govco plot that prevents people owning weaponary suitable for defending themselves from their own military s arsenal. Why else would it be regulating the use of body armour or usage of armed military vehicles.

Doesn't it seem a little weird you can carry a concealed handgun legally in many places but not openly wear body armour, crossbow, katana or battle axe?

I suspect it is possible the constitution may have been not been the best answer when they planned for it's impact on current society so far in the future. But it's your country, your choices. look at the present & future or continue to live by the past as some think killing people is the best way to keep your government in check.

The USA is the BEST place to live because of our AWESOME Constuition!! Guns and all...

Thank God our founding fathers were not a bunch of liberals....
Old 01-26-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Junkie

You seem awful aggressive. Have you read smuhhh's entire post?
yes i did... and if it makes you feel better... i will edit my post accordingly to specify that same phrase. Empty words are just that...

Firearms are just as heated an issue as politics, religion, and finance... and the OP came in here with:

Title "Attraction to guns?"

"but to me guns are malevolent and unnecesary"

"Do you own it just for the sake of having it and looking at it"

"Do you deep down hope someone will break into your house and you will need to defend your family with it?"

and then tried to make his/her intentions with:

"And again, I am not trying stir **** up, this was just running through my head"

topped off with a ""

so yeah... my post was agressive and a direct response to OP's intentions
Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKX

[...]

Apparently you misinterpreted the OP's intentions. Or perhaps you chose to be an ass about it.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKX
yes i did... and if it makes you feel better... i will edit my post accordingly to specify that same phrase. Empty words are just that...

Firearms are just as heated an issue as politics, religion, and finance... and the OP came in here with:

Title "Attraction to guns?"

"but to me guns are malevolent and unnecesary"

"Do you own it just for the sake of having it and looking at it"

"Do you deep down hope someone will break into your house and you will need to defend your family with it?"

and then tried to make his/her intentions with:

"And again, I am not trying stir **** up, this was just running through my head"

topped off with a ""

Have to totally agree.... You tell them 07JKX....
You not out of line at all....
Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=Brisnut;912967]

QUOTE]

Actually in the state I am from I can OPEN carry legally as long as the gun I am carrying is my own personal firearm

as as for wearing body armor-- I can legally wear it here too as long as I am not committing a crime.... I think that is how the law is worded

But you don't need body armor when your as good a shot as me!!

and last I didn't realize Australia was so"crime free" so there are no robberies, rapes, or murders??

Last edited by JKGirl; 01-26-2009 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Attraction to guns?