Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Attraction to guns?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smuhhh
Obviously everyone has different views on weapons, and mine is going to vary from living in Canada I'm sure, but to me guns are malevolent and unnecesary.
This part I don't quite understand. What does living in Canada have to do with anything? When I'm walking around in Edmonton, there are times I wish I could carry a handgun on my person.

As for the "someone throwing a bullet into someone and killing them" comment. That's just plain ridiculous; but how about knives?

Have a look at this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/anything-everything-22/mugger-downtown-69798/#post908094. It may seem foolish, childish, or absurd to you; but if you were in that situation, or if you were this person's girlfriend, what would you be thinking? Sadly, I've been in a few situations like the ones in that short story, in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. I'm born in Ottawa and lived there for 27 years. I now live in Alberta and Edmonton is becoming quite the violent city.

Personal protection aside, myself, I used to be in the military. I enjoyed the training I received. I miss target shooting. That's why I like guns. Rifles, handguns, large caliber, small caliber. Some people like to crochet. Some people like to shoot. As it happens, I also like to drive. I used to race cars and motorcycles (on a track). Just the same, cars don't kill people; bad drivers do. I get excited when I buy a new vehicle. Don't you?

Last edited by awndray; 01-25-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Guns don't kill people.....husbands that come home early kill people. Back on subject I carry all the time everywhere I go short of inside the work place there is a firearm either on me or no farther then 3ft from me. I do it for safety, I live about an hour from DC and the crime rate in DC is horrible, home intrusion is on the rise as are carjackings and other invasive crimes. I also hunt, it's not my main source of meat but I love deer and other wild game and rather then bug one of my buddy's for some meat I might as well go out and hunt my own.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Oh and BTW....Nobody should be scared of a good person that owns a gun......unless, of course, that person has a reason to be scared.
That statement says it all.
True, it does sum it up well. However, the problem here is knowing whether or not the gun owner is a good person. I think that's what most fearful people probably have a problem with.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lc619fr
Guns don't kill people.....husbands that come home early kill people. Back on subject I carry all the time everywhere I go short of inside the work place there is a firearm either on me or no farther then 3ft from me. I do it for safety, I live about an hour from DC and the crime rate in DC is horrible, home intrusion is on the rise as are carjackings and other invasive crimes. I also hunt, it's not my main source of meat but I love deer and other wild game and rather then bug one of my buddy's for some meat I might as well go out and hunt my own.
+ 1 and in some parts of town my job can be very dangerous. I know a guy that was shot dead by a 12 year old gang banger, Whats up with that? when I was 12 I was trying to pop the zit on my nose.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

i don't know about Canada, but it is our right (2nd Amendment) to own, shoot, and carry guns.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

I know that "guns don't kill people, people do"... but when was the last time you heard about someone throwing a bullet into someone and killing them right?
when was the last time you heard about someone throwing a set of cars keys into someone and killing them?

you wanna play the statistics game? lets roll

check your stats on per capita gun ownership and per capita gun crime

then check your stats on per capita auto ownership and per capita vehicle deaths.

there are more guns than cars... there a more auto deaths than gun deaths. That just makes you stop and say WTF.

Each technology piece serves a purpose, be it a car, gun, airplane. All have inherent risks and benefits associated with them. You are obviously anti-gun and obviously do not know why. So tell me... why are you anti-gun? Has something tragic happened to you or a family member? or do you just not like guns.

"And again, I am not trying stir **** up, this was just running through my head"

Last edited by 07JKX; 01-26-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: to make people feel okay inside
Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
i don't know about Canada, but it is our right (2nd Amendment) to own, shoot, and carry guns.
Unfortunately for some of us here in Canada, our right to bear arms has gotten very complicated over the years.

http://www.rkba.ca/

However, I must admit that it is rather childish for anybody to use the Second Amendment as an excuse to why they have a firearm. It is akin to a 9 year old saying to their parent, "because I can," when asked why he threw a baseball through the living room window. If the only reason you can give is, because you have to the right, then to me it's as if you were simply doing it to piss some people off.

Be it as it may, I an a firearms enthusiast. If you have the right to bear arms in your country, then all the power to you. Just please don't use the Second Amendment as a cop out.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKX
You seem awful aggressive. Have you read smuhhh's entire post?

And again, I am not trying stir **** up, this was just running through my head.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

OK... as far as the Canada thing goes... There's plenty of violent offenders here. I deal with them on a daily basis. We just don't have the population to give the kind of numbers the US has.

I think recreational firearm use if done in a safe manner is perfectly acceptable. AND there's nothing dangerous about rational, responsible adults carrying them. (I could throw in the BUT here but nobody wants nut jobs wielding guns anyway)

BTW... Duncan's population is about 4200. I'm guessing that you're more at risk from the wildlife in your area...
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smuhhh,

Learning how to shoot can be extremely fun. When I first started shooting, violence, at least towards human beings, never crossed my mind. I was just a kid out in the woods with my dad, learning to do something in the same place and manner which he learned.

Nowadays, it is a more personal activity for me. I like shooting with friends, but I am always competing with myself to do better than before.

There are many different ballistic elements to shooting that make it neat to learn about, and some naturally occuring elements like sun and wind that make each outing just a little different to keep it interesting.

As for being excited about new guns, I guess it's like any other hobby, it's fun to admire the craftsmanship, and a new gun means entire new learning experience on the range! It's really neat to experience the differences in makes/models of firearms.

I hope you can get out to a range with someone you feel comfortable being around, who can help you have a good experience with a wonderful activity, that I think, since you are the curious type, will leave you wanting to do it again!

Quick Reply: Attraction to guns?