Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Attraction to guns?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note to American gun-owners...

There are a lot of Canadians who are jealous of your legal position (2nd Amendment) to possess and carry certain firearms. We are jealous of your handgun and full-auto laws. Many of us hope for the day that our firearms legislation come closer in line to what you have... except in California. We may actually be far ahead of the residents in CA!

We have millions of guns in Canada; non-restricted (rifles and shotguns, mostly), restricted (handguns, AR-platforms, and some other stuff) and prohibited class (full-auto, some handguns, other guns with no real reasoning behind their classification...).

Our laws are slowly changing now that people are starting to realize that registration and licensing don't stop criminals from obtaining and using guns illegally. With police help being minutes away at the best of times, and up to an hour away or more in the more remote areas we are finding it to fall more on the individual to look out for their own well-being and that of those close to them.

Don't paint all Canadians with the same brush. We are fighting to shake free of many years of liberal governance and social programming.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deeker
Just a note to American gun-owners...

There are a lot of Canadians who are jealous of your legal position (2nd Amendment) to possess and carry certain firearms. We are jealous of your handgun and full-auto laws. Many of us hope for the day that our firearms legislation come closer in line to what you have... except in California. We may actually be far ahead of the residents in CA!

We have millions of guns in Canada; non-restricted (rifles and shotguns, mostly), restricted (handguns, AR-platforms, and some other stuff) and prohibited class (full-auto, some handguns, other guns with no real reasoning behind their classification...).

Our laws are slowly changing now that people are starting to realize that registration and licensing don't stop criminals from obtaining and using guns illegally. With police help being minutes away at the best of times, and up to an hour away or more in the more remote areas we are finding it to fall more on the individual to look out for their own well-being and that of those close to them.

Don't paint all Canadians with the same brush. We are fighting to shake free of many years of liberal governance and social programming.
You guys have some stuff we don't tho! You can go buy a semi HK MP7 or UMP. You can buy short barreled shotguns without paying $200 tax and short barreled rifles the same way. BUT the rest of your gun laws are crap. I don't own a singe gun that would not be restricted or prohibited in your land. Hope you guys get better laws.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

While I dont have a problem with guns, I do have a problem with how many gun owners treat them like a novelty toy or fashion accessory. When people make threads like "look at my new toy" in my mind theyve already proved themselves to be an irresponsible firearm owner simply because they view it as a toy and not the serious tool that it is. It also bothers me when I read my local paper police blotter and see more often than not someone has had a gun stolen. How can you be considered responsible if you allow a thief to take them from you? Maybe its just a few bad seeds making everyone else look bad, but its a big problem none the less.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Repo503
While I dont have a problem with guns, I do have a problem with how many gun owners treat them like a novelty toy or fashion accessory. When people make threads like "look at my new toy" in my mind theyve already proved themselves to be an irresponsible firearm owner simply because they view it as a toy and not the serious tool that it is. It also bothers me when I read my local paper police blotter and see more often than not someone has had a gun stolen. How can you be considered responsible if you allow a thief to take them from you? Maybe its just a few bad seeds making everyone else look bad, but its a big problem none the less.
Hmmm. So everyone that buys a 50cal or submachine gun or whatever needs a practical use for it? Just because someone views something as a toy does not mean it is not respected. Jeeps are often "toys" used only for offroad play. Sportscars and racecars are "toys". I have firearms I consider "toys" as they are just to go have fun at the range with. I am not a hunter, and will not be using a M16 to defend my home with. So that is a toy with only entertainment as my purpose for having it. Does that mean it is not respected like any other firearm?

Thieves can and will take anything. I don't care what safe/alarm/security you have there is always someone out there that can overcome it.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

My grandfather was pistol whipped on the toilet in his home in the middle of the day. The guy held a gun to his head while another robbed the house. (over 20 years ago) After that he had a gun on him every day until the day he died.
As long as bad people carry guns, I will.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Repo503
In my family I was not, nor do I allow guns to be called anything other than weapons. That's what they are. I can enjoy shooting them (and do,often) and I can have fun using them(so does my family), but that doesn't change what they are and what their purpose is.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guns are tools, which is manspeak for big-boy toys. Toys are fun. End of argument.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

An armed populace is one that isn't pushed aside and forgotten. I think that it should be a federal law that EVERY law abiding citizen should have to carry a firearm on them at all times. This guarantees that not only are criminals going to know that anybody they try to perform any illegal activity upon, ie; rape, murder, rob, assault, etc etc, will be armed and ready to defend themselves, their family, and all other law abiding citizens around them, I think this might be a deterrent. It also guarantees that your government will think twice before they screw you over, the more sensitive this country has become about guns over the years the more they have been bent over by their bureaucrats.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by h20squirter
An armed populace is one that isn't pushed aside and forgotten. I think that it should be a federal law that EVERY law abiding citizen should have to carry a firearm on them at all times. This guarantees that not only are criminals going to know that anybody they try to perform any illegal activity upon, ie; rape, murder, rob, assault, etc etc, will be armed and ready to defend themselves, their family, and all other law abiding citizens around them, I think this might be a deterrent. It also guarantees that your government will think twice before they screw you over, the more sensitive this country has become about guns over the years the more they have been bent over by their bureaucrats.
Very well said.

Quick Reply: Attraction to guns?