Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Attraction to guns?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attraction to guns?

Alright, I will start by saying that this out of true curiosity, and am not trying to upset anyone. I don't frequent the Guns forum on here, but do read the titles of the threads while browsing the main page. When I see threads like "I got a new gun!", I sense that the "!" indicates excitement. That honestly scares me. Obviously everyone has different views on weapons, and mine is going to vary from living in Canada I'm sure, but to me guns are malevolent and unnecesary. So what I am wondering is, what is the attraction to owning a gun? (namely a handgun). Do you use it for target practice? Do you own it just for the sake of having it and looking at it? Do you deep down hope someone will break into your house and you will need to defend your family with it? I'm just freaked out by the notion of having guns around me, and would like to know what the appeal is to others.

And again, I am not trying stir **** up, this was just running through my head.

I know that "guns don't kill people, people do"... but when was the last time you heard about someone throwing a bullet into someone and killing them right?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smuhhh
Alright, I will start by saying that this out of true curiosity, and am not trying to upset anyone. I don't frequent the Guns forum on here, but do read the titles of the threads while browsing the main page. When I see threads like "I got a new gun!", I sense that the "!" indicates excitement. That honestly scares me. Obviously everyone has different views on weapons, and mine is going to vary from living in Canada I'm sure, but to me guns are malevolent and unnecesary. So what I am wondering is, what is the attraction to owning a gun? (namely a handgun). Do you use it for target practice? Do you own it just for the sake of having it and looking at it? Do you deep down hope someone will break into your house and you will need to defend your family with it? I'm just freaked out by the notion of having guns around me, and would like to know what the appeal is to others.

And again, I am not trying stir **** up, this was just running through my head.

I know that "guns don't kill people, people do"... but when was the last time you heard about someone throwing a bullet into someone and killing them right?

Ha ha !! Thats my thread your talking about!! And yes...getting a new gun is exciting....but so was getting new tires for my Jeep silly

I use my gun for target practice but wouldn't hesistate to use it to defend my life or my family if some idiot tried to hurt or kill us-- I don't want to be a victim

And NO.... I don't hope someone will break into my house so I can shoot them... I don't want their blood and guts all over my house

That remark by you-- scares me.... see I don't see you questioning why someone would want to own a car-- when, ... well people kill people everyday in auto accidents

Bullets don't kill people...People kill people.

Guns are not to blame......
Law abiding gun owning citizens make this world a safer place

so don't be so suspicious of our hobby.....
Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

but when was the last time you heard about someone throwing a bullet into someone and killing them right?
Here are a couple of stories. I'm sure there are more.

America fights back!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Again...but a person actively pulled the trigger.... the gun just sitting there did not come to life and kill an innocent person....

just like that car that killed a person because a drunk was driving it.... the car did not run anyone over -- it was the PERSON driving it...

idiots are everywhere and mess a lot of things up.... I can't change that
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

don't overlook guns come in very handy for putting wonderful food on my table for myself and my family.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by fish
don't overlook guns come in very handy for putting wonderful food on my table for myself and my family.
This is true and even punching holes in paper is a fun way to use an afternoon.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm definitely not knocking it, to each their own. It would be pretty rude and stupid of me to come to a forum and insult the interest of the forum. I hear you on a vehicle being a weapon too, but of course they do serve a very important purpose

I don't have a problem with hunting i guess... not somethig I am into personally, but I do like my meat... and yeah, wild is healthier and tastier...

I'm not too sure about the crime rate thing... The area I live in has fairly strick firearm laws but a very low crime rate. Who knows, no one way is better,different approach.

It was interesting to read the responses. Cheers
Old 01-25-2009, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

I hear you on a vehicle being a weapon too, but of course they do serve a very important purpose
So defending my family and myself from some miscreant isn't considered an important purpose to you? It very much so is to my wife and kids and myself.

On the other side of the coin, my entire family shoots at the range in steel falling plate events and my son and I both are hunters, so we have more than a defense interest in our guns. You really should go out to a range with someone and give it a try. There are a myriad of great shooting sports to enjoy from paper targets to steel to skeet and trap. It's a great sport and I understand why people who get a new gun are exited about it.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi

Guys/gals...let's not get pissy towards this guy. He seems "ok" with people having guns, but is just curious and is being gracious towards us. Let's not give him something to view us as anything more than the good, decent, law abiding citizens that we are.....ok?

That being said.....

People have used guns as a way of life throughout history. Yes they take life, but they also save life, protect life, as well as feed life. I mainly have guns only as a way to feed, and protect my family. I don't do it much but I love to just target practice with them too. Not only that but here in Alaska, if I was to walk out my front door and just keep walking with only the clothes on my back, I'd better take a gun or I'd be dead in a matter of days. No stores, no roads, no people to keep me alive. Up here people still depend on guns just to survive. A subsistance lifestyle is still alive and well in rural Alaska. This is something that MANY people still have NO idea is still going on.

As far as the "exclamation point" after "I got a new gun"...??? It isn't any different than a skier getting new skis, a woodworker getting a new precision tool, or yes....you getting a new mod for your Jeep. Getting anything that helps you "do what you do" in life, especially if it's a fine piece of workmanship is something to get excited about.

Guns have gotten a bad rap for sure. All most think of when they hear the word guns, is criminals and DEATH...!!! Ignorance is the main reason for this, and is so far from the truth when it comes to most of us gun owners it's not even funny. Like stated before, to many of us, guns are simply a way of life. A way of life that so many have gotten away from as "progress" has moved forward. But it's a simpler way of life that some still enjoy. Not so long ago, you got up in the morning, grabbed your gun and went out to get something to eat. Oh and by the way...during that day, that same gun may help you from loosing your scalp, or becoming bear poop too. How much more simple can it be? Even in this fast paced world we live in, guns represent this "type" of life that still appeals to many people.

As you can tell I've been pretty much talking about a hunting lifestyle. Those that have handguns have them pretty much for the same reason. They are "tools" to become proficient with just like a hunter would. Having a handgun, and even more importantly, knowing how to use one well, (way different than a rifle) gives the owner a great sense of wellbeing knowing that if some scum of the earth was to threaten his castle, he would have every means possible of defending it. In this case, getting a fine handgun known for being accurate, as well as relyable is something worth being excited about. Again.....the reason for the..."!!!!!"

Oh and BTW....Nobody should be scared of a good person that owns a gun......unless, of course, that person has a reason to be scared.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Oh and BTW....Nobody should be scared of a good person that owns a gun......unless, of course, that person has a reason to be scared.
That statement says it all.

Quick Reply: Attraction to guns?