Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

archery and bows or whatnot

Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default archery and bows or whatnot

Anyone know anything about Elite Archery and the bows they produce(d)? I have a chance to purchase a used one made before the company was bought out by someone or other (or so I am told).

I was actually leaning towards a new Diamond Iceman FLX, but I was shooting that used one and man was it nice. I have not shot a Diamond... let alone the new FLX.

Anyone have any opinions? The used one is decked out (and it all comes with it). A new Iceman would be without all the gadgets.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default archery and bows or whatnot

What model? How old is it. I would suggest buying a new bow from a pro shop because of the included setup, tuning, and lifetime service. But if that's not an option then a 1 year old used bow would be my next choice. Diamond makes a good bow ( I shoot bowtech which makes diamond)
Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a 4 yr old bowtech allegiance and would not hesitate to by anything from bowtech or Diamond again. by far the best bows made. Without my bowtech it would not have been possible for me to take my biggest deer yet 2 yrs ago. 9 pointer. 153 B&C. Dressed out 198# and was 6 yrs old.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is the 09 GT500http://www.elitearchery.com/products/bows/gt500/

It has all the goodies... and in pretty good condition. It was used as a hunting bow. I have already shot it, but I do not have enough experience with different bows to know enough about it.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really dont think you can go wrong with a 1 yr old bow that seems to be setup like everything else out right now...looks curiously like a bowtech. Now days in bow hunting reputable brand= great bow. its just personal preference from there. if you are getting a swinging deal on the elite i say go for it. the only thing i noticed on it is the brace height seems a little long for my preference but that is because i dont mind unforgiving as i have been shooting them for 8 yrs.

short brace=less forgiving.

Last edited by JK Woody; 07-01-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: brace height clarification
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Deal really is not all that great... but not bad for one all set up.

And since I can not make up my mind without posting a question to fellow Jeepers (imagine how bad it would be if I had to buy each component), it is worth it to me to get one I don't have to deal with. Seller is basically my height and weight... just a little shorter arms.

There is hardly any creep (kind of figured that went with brace height).

Draw length is a little short for me, but I think I can tweak that with a release.

I am probably going to get it... I just kind of wish I could shoot a diamond icemand FLX first. Heard a lot of great thing about last year's iceman.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Test them all out

Best advice I can give being a bow hunter is go out and test all bows before choosing one. I have shot many different types of bows over the years. I always heard great things about Hoyt Mathews, Diamond etc.., however hearing and shooting are two different things. One bow that fits someone great may not be the right bow for you. I would say go down to your local archery shop and test them all out. I would test out Mathews, Hoyt, Diamond and anything that they have at the shop. I thought I was a Hoyt guy before trying out the Mathews, let me say I went home with a Mathews even though, I went in to buy a Hoyt. Hope this helps with your decision...
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

i shoot a mathews reezen and i love it. ive shot PSE and martin in the past, but the guy that owns the restaurant i work at also owns a bow shop. he got me in to shoot a couple of different bows, and i couldnt walk away from the mathews.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have shot a bowtech gaurdian for 3 years and i have buddies with hoyt's and mathew's and bowtech's....all i can say is buy something thats quite....speed isnt as important as stealth. I used to shoot a old fred bear and the deer string jumped me all the time. it was within 25 feet per second of the bowtech. I havent missed a deer with my bowtech unless it was my fault not the bows.

Quick Reply: archery and bows or whatnot