Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

AR-15/M-4 Owners Interesting Observation on ammo

Old 03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR-15/M-4 Owners Interesting Observation on ammo

Hey gang,

I knew a few times we have had some thread discussions on Jamming with AR-15's/M-4's.

I was plagued with odd jams every 120 rounds or so on both CMMG M-4's we have at the house. Jams were odd, blown primers under trigger and even one where the round wedged above the bolt in the upper receiver (bending the bullet and rendering the weapon useless).

Here is what is interesting, I went through all the Malaysian 55gr M2 Surplus I had as well as the cheaper Wolf/Russian stuff. I switched out to all 55gr XM193 new Lake City/Federal and 62gr SS109 Lake City Ammo.

Well over a 1000 rounds of the prior mentioned stuff and low and behold, not a single jam/misfeed or anything. Nom Nom Nom that gun is hungry and is really happy with only using those Lake City cases.

I also added a few PMAG's into the rotation but, still have all the other mags so I can't attribute it to a mag issue.

It's got to come down to Ammo

BTW, I also got rid of the full "pimp my M-4" laser/lights/direct tv crap I had all over the foregrip. Switched out to a single Sig-Sauer combined STL-300 light/laser/foregrip combo. Wow, the gun is a light fun carbine again!

I guess black rifle fever has a learning curve !
Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Thats good to know, thanks for the info. I just build my first black rifle and man do I have the fever now
My friend has/had alot of cheap ammo and would have problems with them jamming from time to time. So I just save myself the trouble and only buy the good stuff. You know the ones that are never in stock. Theres a reason for that. lol
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am really on an AR kick right now, it will be my next gun purchase. I just bought a Kimber and a new ruger LCR, so I'm drained right now.
My dad just bought an AR off a kid he knows that needed some quick cash, it was a DPMS, 16" barrel, collapsable stock, quad rail w/ laser and light, and also had a scope on it. Came with hardcase, several mags, and 300 rounds...for a whopping 600 bucks!! What a steal!!
He unfortunately lost it the next day in a boating accident!!
I'm doing my homework now to figure out which parts I want to build one!!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 AM
JK Freak

600.00 thats a steal!!!!!! Yea, I've lost all my guns in boating accidents too.....
Old 03-06-2010, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Good advice, stick with the quality stuff.

Unless the Zombies attack and I have no other choice, I will never put anything but premium factory or handloaded ammo in a gun. A gun must first be reliable and the best ways to insure this is to start with a quality, properly maintained gun, then feed it carefully selected premium ammo.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4WHLN
600.00 thats a steal!!!!!! Yea, I've lost all my guns in boating accidents too.....

You can build an AR for around $600 if you know what you're doing.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMFletch
...I will never put anything but premium factory or handloaded ammo in a gun.
I'm sure you mean only ammo that YOU have hand loaded, right?

I've seen some pretty messed up stuff with "Hand loaded gun show" ammo.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I just returned 1400 rounds of M193 Wolf Premium Brass Cased Ammo I bought back in 2006 .. this is the PRVI PARTIZAN stuff. Went and shot some of it a couple of weeks ago .. and out of every box of 20 about 3 or 4 would blow the primer and jam the rifle. Pretty sure they had an issue with this ammo way back when and it was not loaded properly and the pressures were too high.

Wolf is sending me 1400 newly manufactured M193 in return .... They also paid shipping both ways.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

If your looking for cheap .223 ammo, I would go with Bear over Wolf. I've put hundreds of rounds of Bear through with no problems, but have seen alot of jams, ftf, and casing lodged in the barrel with Wolf.

But with both ammos, you should clean after shooting, as some of the older cases have lacquer on the steel case which can be more gunky than normal brass.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

my gun blows primers out of every ammo...Lake City included

Quick Reply: AR-15/M-4 Owners Interesting Observation on ammo