Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

AR-10 Build or Jeep Mods

Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
If you are ever able to shoot an HK give it a try. Their roller lock guns shoot much smoother than the AR equivalent. My mom just moved to richmond, if you want next time I go visit her I can bring a couple for you to shoot if you would like. An FAL is a mule compared btw.
That would be cool. Ya man, if you come out, let me know, I'll shoot. Any place good out there in Richmond to shoot? We have a range near the NC border that has a 500 yd range!!! I'm not meaning to trash HK. I actually like them. I wish I had the cajones to drop the 2k on their Mark 23 SOCOM pistol. But they don't sell it anymore. I'd have to find it through a dealer or private seller.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Imrahil
I see them available from both Midway USA and Brownells right now. If you are going to order from Brownells make sure to sign up as a gunsmith. You don't actually have to prove anything to them, and they will just give you a pretty solid discount on most items. Generally though their discounted price is about the same as Midway's standard price. There are a ton of resources out there about building your own upper, a quick google search will produce some solid results. If you have any questions don't forget to check out the Library over at Midway USA and Brownells. They both have video series up about assembling them. Or of course you can just ask and I'm sure that there are a few of us that can help you out. The only problem is that I am now in Philippines so I don't have any examples here with me to tear apart and post photos.
Well I impulse spent this weekend...I have an upper and barrel nut coming from Brownell's and the rest coming from Fulton Armory. This is going to be a fun gun!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shoup
I feel the same way. Here is something...not to hijack, but to give more reason to finish the rifle instead of the Jeep. This was on Natgeo (I have no idea how I missed this). I know it's over 44 minutes long but it is well worth the watch.
Nice ones Shoup, I've always wanted a M1A. I did have a 700 in 30'06 and I nearly blew my eardrums with that gun...apparently 30'06 is extremely loud if you are standing on the line spotting for the shooter rather than standing behind and spotting. Which M1A do you have?

I am survival minded, just complacent. I have a plan, but it relies more on roaming around nomad style and taking what I can get...I know it sounds bad, but we'll all have to manage somehow, right? I think there are plenty of deer here in VA to sustain my family. I saw another video on History where a guy made a car that ran off of manure and was able to create gunpowder for a blackpowder gun using dried piss. It was wild!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Valkyrie1911
Definitely the gun, especially if you already have a Jeep capable of some good off roading. Remember the run on stuff before and after Obama's election? Imagine IF he gets a second term. I'm building up my survival supplies, stocking up on ammo, and trying to finish current stuff, like getting my bolt gun zeroed, before I start new builds. Only thing I really NEED is a good shotty, of course there's like 50 other guns I'd LIKE, but those can come later I really want to setup a reloading bench and start that, but living with the parents while finishing college limits space, though they're all for helping me set it up.
Ya man I feel ya. I live in a small condo with a fiancee and kid. You can guess how much room I have for a reloader. I visit my dad sometimes in CA and his buddy does that stuff in his garage....he has literally boxes and boxes of ammo, mostly 223 and 38 special. Lucky man.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jereb83
Ya man I feel ya. I live in a small condo with a fiancee and kid. You can guess how much room I have for a reloader. I visit my dad sometimes in CA and his buddy does that stuff in his garage....he has literally boxes and boxes of ammo, mostly 223 and 38 special. Lucky man.
Yea, I can imagine not alot of space. Most of my problems can be solved with more money But everyone has a different set of circumstances/goals. Prep to the best of your ability and prepare for the most likely scenario, that's all you can do. I forsee the most likely scenarios being natural disasters/economic collapse and the shat that comes with it. I don't forsee having to roam the wilderness sleeping in a tent to survive. Just need to get out of the city, I have a good amount of ammo, but not enough to handle them all....
Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I am survival minded, just complacent. I have a plan, but it relies more on roaming around nomad style and taking what I can get...I know it sounds bad, but we'll all have to manage somehow, right? I think there are plenty of deer here in VA to sustain my family. I saw another video on History where a guy made a car that ran off of manure and was able to create gunpowder for a blackpowder gun using dried piss. It was wild!

Try a PCP air rifle. One of them is a 9mm and can take some small and medium game. Only thing you need is an air pump and bullets, which are very easy to make. ;-)

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 01-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, I can imagine not alot of space. Most of my problems can be solved with more money But everyone has a different set of circumstances/goals. Prep to the best of your ability and prepare for the most likely scenario, that's all you can do. I forsee the most likely scenarios being natural disasters/economic collapse and the shat that comes with it. I don't forsee having to roam the wilderness sleeping in a tent to survive. Just need to get out of the city, I have a good amount of ammo, but not enough to handle them all....
Though I sold them because I seldom used them anymore, I was pretty good at sticking a man sized target at about 30-40 yards with a recurve bow with no sites. SO, I bought a book on how to choose the correct wood to make bows and arrows. When the ammo runs out, gotta have the back up, right? (And yes, even I know 30-40 yds is weak, but I was able to teach myself the marksmanship within a couple of days).

You know that is a good point, bugging out. Is it worth it? I watched a good program on History that "chronicles" a family that is caught in the midst of pandemic. Obviously chaos ensues and they decide that trying to stick it out in an LA suburb is no good and flee only to run into jerks at every turn in the city. Thought it was interesting take on the breakdown of society.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Though I sold them because I seldom used them anymore, I was pretty good at sticking a man sized target at about 30-40 yards with a recurve bow with no sites. SO, I bought a book on how to choose the correct wood to make bows and arrows. When the ammo runs out, gotta have the back up, right? (And yes, even I know 30-40 yds is weak, but I was able to teach myself the marksmanship within a couple of days).

You know that is a good point, bugging out. Is it worth it? I watched a good program on History that "chronicles" a family that is caught in the midst of pandemic. Obviously chaos ensues and they decide that trying to stick it out in an LA suburb is no good and flee only to run into jerks at every turn in the city. Thought it was interesting take on the breakdown of society.
My home is my castle and it'll take a lot to make me leave it. I'm vulnerable, under armed, under equipped, etc when I have to leave my home. Can't take all my weapons with me, even in a vehicle, nor can take all my survival supplies, etc etc etc. Something will get left behind and prolly won't be there when I come home. Obviously if you HAVE to leave, but I'd stay as long as possible.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

My home is my castle and it'll take a lot to make me leave it. I'm vulnerable, under armed, under equipped, etc when I have to leave my home. Can't take all my weapons with me, even in a vehicle, nor can take all my survival supplies, etc etc etc. Something will get left behind and prolly won't be there when I come home. Obviously if you HAVE to leave, but I'd stay as long as possible.

You need to have both scenarios ready and be able to make a decision in very short notice. Some natural disasters may leave no choice but bugging out before your house crumbles (earthquake?). I have all the stuff to bug out but, since I moved, they were all scattered in different boxes. Then my son was born and I did not organize them again. Really need to get everything checked again.

However, what really startled me is how our society degraded. I mean the American society. If you compare Katrina with Fukushima. In the first one there were looting, chaos and society breakdown. In the second the society kept civilized, respected each other and there were several documented cases of people staying in their posts to the end.

So, it is really important to evaluate where you are to see what you need and how much of it.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be cool. Ya man, if you come out, let me know, I'll shoot. Any place good out there in Richmond to shoot? We have a range near the NC border that has a 500 yd range!!! I'm not meaning to trash HK. I actually like them. I wish I had the cajones to drop the 2k on their Mark 23 SOCOM pistol. But they don't sell it anymore. I'd have to find it through a dealer or private seller.
I have no idea. I have only been out there once. Didn't shoot just carried the .38 snub I bought mom years ago. Mk23 is a great gun but for the average joe it isn't practical. It has a decocker on one side and a safety on the other... wtf? And it is HUGE! but it is super accurate and runs great. My taste is more a USP 45 tactical with LEM trigger and an osprey can. Just my .02 you didn't ask for. Ill PM you next time I go to VA and see if you want to meet up. i can bring an mp5sd mp5k and a g3k with me if I know far enough out to do the atf paperwork.

Quick Reply: AR-10 Build or Jeep Mods