Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

AR-10 Build or Jeep Mods

Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR-10 Build or Jeep Mods

I have half of a 308 AR in the closet that hasn't done much but collect dust. I would have to invest 700-1000 more to finish it (completed upper). But I totally want to mod the Jeep since I have another daily driver now.

Whatever should I do!!!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Larue Tactical upper.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

That means you have the complete lower?
Is that an Armalite?
Is that your only rifle?

If you answered yes to all get an A4 upper with a scope and complete your rifle. Armalite constantly runs some nice promos and you might even have some money left.

Your Jeep is already working, correct?

The A4 upper will give you a platform like the Jeep's for future upgrades. Both are money pits anyway. :-)
Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Gun! You can play with the Jeep just like it is, but there ain't no fun in owning just a lower. Plus, a well built firearm will last a few lifetimes.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm loving the enthusiasm. No, it's an off name CMMG lower that can accept uppers from Panther Arms LR-308. I can find them here and there on gunbroker, but trying to order from the Panther Arms website is ridiculous. I think its like a 6 month wait time + more time if gov/police orders come in on top of mine.

Good stuff. So the consensus is that wheels can wait? I already have what I need and wanted to upgrade wheels and tires, but obviously my MOAB wheels can accept 33s just as easily with wheel spacers.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why not build your own upper? They are really easy to do and only requires a handful of tools, most of which you probably already have. This will let you put higher quality parts on your gun for the same price that you could buy a lower end pre-assembled upper. There are a ton of resources on the net about putting one together and there is nothing to it. Even on your first go it shouldn't take you much more then an hour to assemble a whole AR.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I should. I built the lower from stripped parts. I have never have built an upper. Seemed a bit complicated, but then again, I thought that about lowers before I did it. Even the 308, which was a little more complicated than an AR-15 lower, was fairly simple. The upper options are pretty limited. I want a 308 with an 18-20" barrel. I kind of want something that can be a DMR type rifle versus a 16" carbine or 24" precision rifle. Problem is finding what I want. The LR-308 options suck...DPMS is backlogged and gunbroker I can only find 16, 18 and 24" complete uppers, most of them being the slick side with no brass ejector or dust cover. But I have seen a few stripped uppers. I guess I could build my optimal rifle going that route. Thanks Imrahil, I guess I will look at my options at building my own upper versus trying to buy a canned DPMS one (or one similar to its design).
Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scrap the AR crap and build a roller lock 308. I'm about to build a G3k clone for under a grand. If I wanted a sub moa gun I would build a SG1. I like the platform better than AR. (and I have some AR's)
Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Scrap the AR crap and build a roller lock 308. I'm about to build a G3k clone for under a grand. If I wanted a sub moa gun I would build a SG1. I like the platform better than AR. (and I have some AR's)

Sounds interesting. Do you have links to this kind of build?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

build the AR. if the bad times come you're gonna need a way to defend your JK

Quick Reply: AR-10 Build or Jeep Mods