Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Anyone bought online and had delivered through an dealer?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone bought online and had delivered through an dealer?

Looking at a couple things on cheaper than dirt. but it states that i need a copy of the dealers FFL.

Can someone chime in on what the whole process is, and how would you present that to a gun shop?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Locate a local FFL dealer that is willing to do a transfer for you. They can get a copy of their license to the seller and will receive the item then transfer it to you. There is usually a fee for this and some FFL dealers don't do it, but most will.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you look at gunbroker dot com they have a section that lists ffls by zip, and an idea of what they charge.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Call a local gun shop and ask if they are an FFL. If not, they should point you in the right direction. I don't know your state's gun laws, but in CA the FFL dealer has to hold the gun for a 10 day period after the gun's arrival. The FFL dealer will almost always charge a small fee so feel free to call a few and get a good price. However, there is a federal cost that they must incur and will add that to your fee.

The upside is that the FFL will do all the registration paper work, so that will be your "one stop shop" before the firearm is yours.

Hope this helped
Old 12-30-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Additionally, double check to make sure that this specific gun is legal in your state. Again, I don't know your state's gun laws, but in California almost nothing is legal.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default Yep

I recently did my first transaction via...Gun Broker.....smooth and easy....I was seeking a gun with limited local availability...( Benelli Super Black Eagle 2).....found it for nearly $400 less on line brand new.....spoke with my local gun shop.....he offers receiving guns as a service with a fee of $50.....so I am $350 ahead of the game....

Process is pretty simple....you pay on line dealer for gun....pay pal, charge card, what ever.....provide the online seller contact info and shipping address of the local shop....on line seller ships.....you go pick up.....fill out federal or state forms.....pay local dealer their fee and you are out the door!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Deffinately check to see if the gun you buying legal in your state. I almost made that mistake.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it so many times 3 gunshops have just given me copies of their FFL and just call me when stuff lands there. I used to give them heads ups but rarely anymore.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

I ordered my AR online. It was loads cheaper than any of the gun shops located around Chicago. I went to gunbroker and located a FFL dealer by zip, contacted him via e-mail. He then sent me a copy of his FFL and I sent it forward to the seller of the rifle. A few days later I went to the FFL, filled out my paperwork, and took my rifle home. If you pay for it online, and want they want to add a 3 or 4 % credit card fee, ask if you can send a postal money order. Postal money orders are really difficult to counterfeit and can be cashed without question. (meaning there is no wait for them to clear)

Quick Reply: Anyone bought online and had delivered through an dealer?