Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Any thoughts on the S&W M&P .45?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nwapache
Troll threadjacking alert....
No, but nice try.
Originally Posted by Imrahil
Technically you are correct. When the term was first adopted "Assault Rifle" only included select fire weapons, however today the term has been broadened to include any military rifle that has been modified to fire in semi-automatic mode as well, e.g. AR-15. The reason for this is because of the Assault Weapons ban that was passed in 1994 which banned many features commonly found on military type rifles. This slight change has led many people to class anything that would be deemed an Assault Weapon as an Assault Rifle. The ban included these features:

Folding or telescoping stock
Primary pistol grip
Forward grip
Threaded barrel (for a muzzle brake or a suppressor, commonly called a silencer)
Barrel shroud

I am assuming that you can see where the confusion came from.

Hate to bust your balls here, but you are wrong on more then a few points (and since you decided to bust his why should I spare yours?). The AK-47, AK-74, and the FN Fal are all Assault Rifles. Some are produced in a civilian version though that is not considered an Assault Rifle.

As to the NFA items, well you are pretty close. The paperwork is not all that involved, especially if you form a trust and allow the trust to purchase the firearm. Last time I filled out my paperwork it took me about 3 minutes, and that is because I write slow.

Anyone who is paying $20k-$30k for an M16 is either buying an amazingly mint firearm that is still in the box or is being robbed. Mine cost me $12,500. You can still get certain weapons that are NFA for a fraction of that, some as low as $2k - $3k.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed to control and restrict weapons that were capable of fully automatic fire. It wasn't until the Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) of 1986 that it became illegal for civilians to own any newly manufactured machine guns, that is unless you either qualify as law enforcement or you are a Special Occupational Taxpayer such as a dealer.
PM sent.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the S&W M&P .45?