Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Any Sheep Hunters Out There...???

Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fine looking Ram Dave. I am envious.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yetibear
I tried sheep hunting once, what a failure.

No sooner did I get my first shot off then old man Stevens came runnin' and yellin' outta the barn. Good thing he only had his shotgun with him that night, man I skedaddled outta his pasture as fast as I could drag that danged old sheep.

Next time I'll take the one I shot, that thing made a hell of a mess in the truck(not the Jeep).

No, not big on sheep huntin' at all, at all, though next time , if there is a next time, I'll at least try it in a different county.

you crack me up!!!.....
Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by yetibear
Fine looking Ram Dave. I am envious.
thanks much.......it is quite a prize no doubt.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Hi Dave

Actually it was not my dad....it was my dad's best friend that we would always join up and go hunting with. My dad's best friend has an amazing collection of North American Game animals in his home. It is great to go for a visit with him and hear his hunting stories.

Some game he has taken......Woodland, Mountian and Plains Caribou, Grizzly, Alaskan Brown, Black and Polar Bear, Elk, Moose, White-tail, Black Tail & Mule Deer, Antelope, Wolverine, Cougar, Lynx, Bobcat, Musk Ox, Mountain Goat. This is over +50 years of hunting. He is a book of knowledge on hunting big game. I have learned many things from him to be successful.

We are still in contact about going for his Dall sheep. He is getting up there in age now 70 years old and has some major issues with his knees and back. I told him let me know as I would love to take him out to complete is Sheep Grand Slam with a nice Dall Sheep.

The Mountian Goat was a great accomplishment for my friend and I and especially making B&C for his first Billy. We shot it near the end of October as the snow was starting to form up in the mountians. I could not imagine hunting Goat and Sheep in November....the snow would be insane in and around our area as well. Also, would make the hunt fairly scary for footing on some of the snow and ice covered steeper ledges.

Thanks for the recommendations on the books......I will definitely will check out those books....love a good read on hunting!
I'm sorry....my mistake about your dad. I reread and indeed you said it was your dad's friend.
Anyway.....I don't know where you might plan on getting his Dall, but one thing that can help immensely. If there is anywhere that you can fly in and basicily land on top of the mountain, it would, as you would imagine, cut the walking, AND packing time out a huge amount. There are a few places up here that you can do that. Anyway.....just a thought. At 70 years old, he definitely has his work cut out for him if he wants to finish out his Grand Slam. But it can be done. I recently read about an old Native (indian) Alaskan
that was still guiding sheep hunters at 70 years old....(and that was a few years ago). Don't know if he is still guiding or not. He had quite a history as you would imagine.
I sure hope your dad's friend has the gumption to go after one.
Good Hunting....!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....my brother-in-laws buddy's took 2 fantastic Big Horn Sheep last week in Alberta....Got to see the sheep horns in person... Both will score well over 180 inches! We aged them at 10 and 12 years old! Beautiful Sheep!

The guys explained they came over top of them and shot them at 100 yrs. The bigger ram was taken first and was wounded and the smaller ram knew he was injured and butted him in the side of ribs dropping off a good 50m cliff and bouncing off a few rocks to finally come to a rest 500 yards down into the valley. I guess the smaller ram felt it was his time to be champion....but little did he know he was the next target!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi

WOW.....!!!!!! Beautiful rams. Congrats to him for sure...: beer:

Quick Reply: Any Sheep Hunters Out There...???