Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Any Sheep Hunters Out There...???

Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Sheep Hunters Out There...???

Just wondering if any of you like to hunt sheep? I've killed 3 rams so far. Below is my largest...39" curl w/ 14.5" bases. I must say, it's still my all time favorite hunting. It's like hunting for the Holy Grail on top of the world. Even though I'm getting a little old to climb those mountains, I still hope to go again if my knee lets me.
So how bout' it? Maybe a few of you have gone after bighorns??? Would love to see, and hear about it.
Thanks & Good Hunting...!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never have, but I bet its pretty fun! cool trophy!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Sheep hunting. Where men are men and the sheep are scared.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Junkie

man thats beautiful!!!
so not sure ,do you eat sheep meat?
and if so how is it?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Just wondering if any of you like to hunt sheep? I've killed 3 rams so far. Below is my largest...39" curl w/ 14.5" bases. I must say, it's still my all time favorite hunting. It's like hunting for the Holy Grail on top of the world. Even though I'm getting a little old to climb those mountains, I still hope to go again if my knee lets me.
So how bout' it? Maybe a few of you have gone after bighorns??? Would love to see, and hear about it.
Thanks & Good Hunting...!!!

Beautiful Dall Sheep, Where did you get that one?

I am looking at going next season for Rocky Mountian Big Horn sheep, I should be on top of the list for a draw (Fingers Crossed). I got drawn for a Mountain Goat around my area...but I have had Zero time to get out and hunt for a Billy....maybe next season. I have been Goat hunting as I tag along with a friend and helped him shot a dandy Billy Goat (10 7/8 - lengths) but I can't recall the final score...but it did make B&C. He ended up shooting the Billy in the Tree Farm Licence that I work in. It was his first Billy goat and was pumped that it made B&C. I had seen this Billy on several occassions on my trips in and out of the Tree Farm Licence. Once we got him....what a hike and the packing out was nuts and difficult. As I get older as well....I am not sure how the knees will handle the climbing and sliding down shale slopes!

Back on topic of Sheep:

I know my dad's friend has a nice collection of sheep:
1 - Desert Big Horn,
2- Rocky Mountain Big Horn
1 - Stone Sheep.

He just needs the Dall sheep to claim all 4 sheep in North America. He has offered me some Cash to help guide him in British Columbia to bag a Dall sheep. However, it seems we always have conflicts with other activities when we want to go out for the Dall sheep. He is also, feeling the age and is not sure if he can physically withstand the rigours of hunting sheep.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 11-04-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by fish
man thats beautiful!!!
so not sure ,do you eat sheep meat?
and if so how is it?
Oh yes....., I don't kill anything I don't eat, and in the case of sheep meat, it is excellent. It's "different" I'd say, maybe along the lines of lamb, but to me not near as strong as lamb. I always used to be able to tell when my mom was cooking lamb...the smell filled the house. There is no smell, and to me there is no gamey taste either. It's also very lean like moose meat.
Most sheep hunters I've talked to like sheep meat the best.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

You make me envious. I have never hunted sheep but I would love to have when I was younger. I used to dream about going to Alaska and hunting Brown Bear, Moose, Sheep and Caribou. Most of my hunting has been limited to Deer and Black Bear although when I was younger I did quite a bit of Duck hunting. All of my bear hunting was done with a bow and the most exciting. I once arrowed a bear that came looking for me circling the tree I was in and stopping not 8’ right below my feet clicking it’s teeth.
If I remember correctly you said in a previous post you had gotten the Swarovski binoculars. My son just got their HD spotting scope and it is fantastic. I by the way have their range finder and love it.
As far as wild game I am a pretty big fan of Elk of coarse Buffalo is pretty darn good.

You have a good day, GRIZZ
Old 11-08-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Beautiful Dall Sheep, Where did you get that one?

I am looking at going next season for Rocky Mountian Big Horn sheep, I should be on top of the list for a draw (Fingers Crossed). I got drawn for a Mountain Goat around my area...but I have had Zero time to get out and hunt for a Billy....maybe next season. I have been Goat hunting as I tag along with a friend and helped him shot a dandy Billy Goat (10 7/8 - lengths) but I can't recall the final score...but it did make B&C. He ended up shooting the Billy in the Tree Farm Licence that I work in. It was his first Billy goat and was pumped that it made B&C. I had seen this Billy on several occassions on my trips in and out of the Tree Farm Licence. Once we got him....what a hike and the packing out was nuts and difficult. As I get older as well....I am not sure how the knees will handle the climbing and sliding down shale slopes!

Back on topic of Sheep:

I know my dad's friend has a nice collection of sheep:
1 - Desert Big Horn,
2- Rocky Mountain Big Horn
1 - Stone Sheep.

He just needs the Dall sheep to claim all 4 sheep in North America. He has offered me some Cash to help guide him in British Columbia to bag a Dall sheep. However, it seems we always have conflicts with other activities when we want to go out for the Dall sheep. He is also, feeling the age and is not sure if he can physically withstand the rigours of hunting sheep.
I killed this ram, as I have my other two, in the Kenai Mts. Kenai Mt. rams are known for their tight, and fairly thin horns. So to kill one like this here, is pretty rare to say the least. 40" rams in these mountains is almost unheard of. Not that there haven't been some before, and may be a couple up there now, but the days where they would roam all over the place seem to be long gone. Most rams from the Kenai, seem to average between 33-37" and have 12-13" bases.

At 10-7/8" that was a dandy goat your friend killed. That's one critter I still haven't killed. I missed a monster some years ago, and haven't been since. If you ever get a chance to spot goats in Nov. try and do so. You wouldn't believe how they look. Their hides are incredible. I wouldn't have believed it till I actually saw one......cottonballs with legs. I would love to get a Nov. goat, but it gets pretty hard up here as the snow is usually pretty deep by then.
That is way cool that your dad has amost got the grand slam of sheep. I bet that Stoney was beautiful. To me they are the most beautiful of them all. Is he still young enough to try for a Dall??? Sure hope so as that would be quite an accomplishment to finish in one's lifetime. You need to keep after him about it.

Sure hope you get drawn for the bighorn permit. Beware tho, if you do, you will be hooked. If you are in "sheep shape", sheep hunting is the greatest. It makes ALL the difference if you are in shape and have the right gear. Otherwise it can be miserable.

BTW....If you want to check out a couple great books...especially to get your dad going, look for "Great Rams" by Anderson. And..."Wind, Dust, and Snow". Sorry but I can't remember the author of that one. If I remember, the "Great Ram" book deals with the rams of No. America, and the other book shows incredible rams from all over the world, like the long curled Marco Polos, and the massive monster Darwini (sp?) Rams of the Gobi Desert. They look like a super hybred bighorn....check them out.
Good Luck & Good Hunting....!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dave

Actually it was not my dad....it was my dad's best friend that we would always join up and go hunting with. My dad's best friend has an amazing collection of North American Game animals in his home. It is great to go for a visit with him and hear his hunting stories.

Some game he has taken......Woodland, Mountian and Plains Caribou, Grizzly, Alaskan Brown, Black and Polar Bear, Elk, Moose, White-tail, Black Tail & Mule Deer, Antelope, Wolverine, Cougar, Lynx, Bobcat, Musk Ox, Mountain Goat. This is over +50 years of hunting. He is a book of knowledge on hunting big game. I have learned many things from him to be successful.

We are still in contact about going for his Dall sheep. He is getting up there in age now 70 years old and has some major issues with his knees and back. I told him let me know as I would love to take him out to complete is Sheep Grand Slam with a nice Dall Sheep.

The Mountian Goat was a great accomplishment for my friend and I and especially making B&C for his first Billy. We shot it near the end of October as the snow was starting to form up in the mountians. I could not imagine hunting Goat and Sheep in November....the snow would be insane in and around our area as well. Also, would make the hunt fairly scary for footing on some of the snow and ice covered steeper ledges.

Thanks for the recommendations on the books......I will definitely will check out those books....love a good read on hunting!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried sheep hunting once, what a failure.

No sooner did I get my first shot off then old man Stevens came runnin' and yellin' outta the barn. Good thing he only had his shotgun with him that night, man I skedaddled outta his pasture as fast as I could drag that danged old sheep.

Next time I'll take the one I shot, that thing made a hell of a mess in the truck(not the Jeep).

No, not big on sheep huntin' at all, at all, though next time , if there is a next time, I'll at least try it in a different county.

Quick Reply: Any Sheep Hunters Out There...???