Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

.308 Rifle; Recommendations?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW how are you getting away with having a firearm in Australia?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by javacowboy
I think Savage makes a great rifle for the money. Nice groups and super trigger pull.
Agreed. I have one and like it a lot. Nothing against Remington they make a great rifle, but with the money saved= scope or more ammo.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MrDillClinton
BTW how are you getting away with having a firearm in Australia?
Yeah having guns here isn't a problem if you have a valid use for them; there's just a lot of paperwork involved to firstly become licensed and then purchase firearms.

Prior to the late '90s it was was fairly unrestricted and pretty similar to the US (except that the ownership and posession of handguns always had more restrictions attached to them here). Then, due to a series of incidents where guys went postal with assault weapons (google "Port Arthur massacre" or "Hoddle Street massacre") they introduced strict new gun laws in '97 that, among other things, banned all semi-auto rifles and pump-action/semi-auto shotguns except for certain license holders (contract hunters, etc) and limited magazines for semi-auto pistols to 10 rounds and their caliber to 9mm/.38; the government spent millions buying all the newly-illegal weapons back from their owners.

To get licensed these days you firstly need to prove a valid need for a gun, ie: active member of a target shooting/hunting or pistol club (attend a minimum amount of shoots each year), ownership of rural land or permission from a landowner to hunt on his property, etc; (city folk can't just keep a shotgun under the bed anymore gathering dust for "home defense") and then do a firearms handling course and undergo a police background check. Then before buying any weapons once licensed you need to install a gun safe at your registered address (and have a seperate locked container for ammo), which the police will then come out to inspect to make sure it complies with regulations & is bolted properly to the floor & wall. Then you have to apply for a permit to purchase each and every weapon you want and have to wait 28 days before you can pick it up from the dealer (all sales need to be witnessed and registered by a licensed dealer, even if you're just buying a used gun from the guy next door).

So yeah, a lot of paperwork and restrictions designed to stop the rambo types building up an arsenal of AR15s in their basements but if you're prepared to spend the time & money getting licensed (and attend the minimum required number of shoots if membership of a club is your valid reason) and installing secure storage then it's no big deal really.

About the Savage accu-triggers; are they really that good? Have heard a lot of people raving on about them but have never fired a rifle with one fitted myself.

Last edited by JKlad; 01-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKlad
Yeah having guns here isn't a problem if you have a valid use for them; there's just a lot of paperwork involved to firstly become licensed and then purchase firearms.

Prior to the late '90s it was was fairly unrestricted and pretty similar to the US (except that the ownership and posession of handguns always had more restrictions attached to them here). Then, due to a series of incidents where guys went postal with assault weapons (google "Port Arthur massacre" or "Hoddle Street massacre") they introduced strict new gun laws in '97 that, among other things, banned all semi-auto rifles and pump-action/semi-auto shotguns except for certain license holders (contract hunters, etc) and limited magazines for semi-auto pistols to 10 rounds and their caliber to 9mm/.38; the government spent millions buying all the newly-illegal weapons back from their owners.

To get licensed these days you firstly need to prove a valid need for a gun, ie: active member of a target shooting/hunting or pistol club (attend a minimum amount of shoots each year), ownership of rural land or permission from a landowner to hunt on his property, etc; (city folk can't just keep a shotgun under the bed anymore for "home defense") and then do a firearms handling course. Then before buying any weapons once licensed you need to install a gun safe at your registered address, which the police will then come out to inspect to make sure it's bolted properly to the floor & wall. Then you have to apply for a permit to purchase each and every weapon you want and have to wait 28 days before you can pick it up from the dealer (all sales need to be witnessed and registered by a licensed dealer, even if you're just buying a used gun from the guy next door).

So yeah, a lot of paperwork and restrictions designed to stop the rambo types building up an arsenal of AR15s in their basements but if you're prepared to spend the time & money getting licensed (and attend the minimum required number of shoots if membership of a club is your valid reason) and installing secure storage then it's no big deal really.

About the Savage accu-triggers; are they really that good? Have heard a lot of people raving on about them but have never fired a rifle with one fitted myself.

You know, I'm really glad that we don't have to go through all that here, but it seems really smart. Are there a lot of blackmarket weapons running around all over the place? There are so many guns in the U.S. that if the gov't tried to buy them all back, they probably wouldn't even get 10% of the ones that are here.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Accuracy

If long range accuracy is the goal take a look at the Thompson Center Icon.....I little heavy but great balance, rock solid integrated mounts and adjustable trigger....sub moa out of the box! I own in .308.......tack driver!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Remington model 700 5r make sure it has the 5r barrel its the best out of the box rifle

Of course this is my opinion just do your research and understand that most rifles are good some better than others and alot of time its just people that can't shoot
Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Imrahil
Always keep in mind that no matter how good your rifle, ammo, and skills are they can never compensate for bad glass.
Agreed. For the most part the gun will only shoot as well as you do anyway......and the scope is a HUGE part of that. l should say good glass as a whole, so I don't skimp on binos or spotting scope either. Less eye fatigue can play a big part on a long hunt.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

I have a savage model 10 chambered in .243 with the accutrigger and I was shooting 1.5" groups @200yds with factory ammo, and sub moa at 100yds with handloads. As others have said a good scope is a must. I got a bushnell legend (can't think of the variability off the top of my head) and it is a very good scope for the money. Someone mentioned a T/C icon, another very accurate rifle. It is a little heavier, but not a burden to carry on a hunt. If you are going to shoot for accuracy I would look into handloading your own ammo because for the price and accuracy you gain it is worth it.
PS the accutrigger is AWESOME!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKlad

Yeah, they're pretty good. I actually prefer a conventional trigger, though, as long as it's set properly. I'm a Savage fan and I have both Accutriggers and older Savages with Timney's. I prefer the Timney's but I wouldn't replace an Accutrigger.

My .308 is a Savage BVSS. It's an older one with a blued action (it pre-dates Savage stainless actions) and a Timney since it is pre-Accutrigger.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

My opinion...
The area where you plan to use the rifle will dictate what to get and how much $$ to spend. Those Savage rifles are really good rifles. So are the Remington rifles. I have a .300 Win Mag in Winchester Model 70 and that is probably the smoothest rifle action I have ever used...and I have shot MANY different rifles. The bolt movement is like silk and it is REALLY easy to disassemble without tools for cleaning and maintenance should it ever require something like a new spring or firing pin. The recoil is very mild in comparison to other high-powered rifles I have shot even with a synthetic stock.
If I were in an area where saltwater spray is an issue (coastal areas like South Texas for instance) I would want a rifle in either stainless steel or parkerized finish. I had a Ruger KM77-MkII 300 Win Mag with stainless steel and a synthetic skeleton stock. It was lightweight, would never give me rust problems, and shot like a dream...but the light weight also made it kick like a sledge hammer. You couldn't shoot more than 10 rounds out of it at a sitting if you wanted to be able to move your arm afterwards. Ask me how I know this...

Quick Reply: .308 Rifle; Recommendations?