Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

1911 Leather Gun Holster

Old 11-11-2009, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1911 Leather Gun Holster

I am fortunate enough to inherit a 1910 German Luger and it's leather pouch from my grandpa who served in world war 2.

Does anybody know how I can care for this leather holster stamped in 1911?
It is getting kinda stiff, I'd almost say brittle...and some of the metal buttons are growing this blue tarnish/rust stuff around them?

Does leather break down?

Or does anybody know who I should ask for advice? Would gun shops know? Or leather shops for horses and Harley's?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bronco_Bustin
I am fortunate enough to inherit a 1910 German Luger and it's leather pouch from my grandpa who served in world war 2.

It is getting kinda stiff, I'd almost say brittle...and some of the metal buttons are growing this blue tarnish/rust stuff around them?

Does leather break down?

Or does anybody know who I should ask for advice? Would gun shops know? Or leather shops for horses and Harley's?
Nice gun.
I have no other advise but that
Old 11-12-2009, 12:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Does leather break down?

I've always used mink oil cream on all my leather goods, from baseball gloves to belts, and been happy with the results.
In your case, since the holster has dried out, you might want to check with a leathergoods shop in your area, perhaps a saddle shop or such. Whatever you use don't flex the leather at this point.
There are quite a few protectants/conditioners.waterproofs on the market. I tend to go towards mink oil, mink oil cream, or neatsfoot oil, as they have natural ingreadients, over the chemical conditioners.
I hear Pecard oil is a pretty good product, however I've never used it.
Good luck.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't use mink oil on a holster.

Oils like mink oil and neatsfoot will work great on oil tanned leather shoes, but can make a holster too soft, and there's no undoing it. Maybe not as critical on a flap holster as it is on a boned holster, but I still wouldn't do it.

You might want to check to see if the holster has any value first before you do anything. Most holster makers will recommend a light coat of Renaissance Wax if anything.

Jason
Old 11-15-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

When he died in 1996, it was appraised at $700. Why would that make a difference?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

When he died in 1996, it was appraised at $700. Why would that make a difference?
Because even though it is dry, it may still be considered in original or authentic condition.

IMO though, if you aren't trying to maximize the value to sell it or auction it, and just want to keep it yourself and make it last, I'd go ahead and talk to a leather shop and get some leather restorer/conditioner for it.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will never get rid of it... Thanks for the info.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it's worth that much I wouldn't touch it without consulting someone that knows about preserving antique holsters. Check some of the gun forums and ask around there. Someone might be able to put you in touch with someone that restores/preserves antiques as a profession. Certainly don't put anything on it without checking first, you could wreck the value of it.

Best of luck with it.

Jason
Old 11-18-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jason_G
I wouldn't use mink oil on a holster.

Oils like mink oil and neatsfoot will work great on oil tanned leather shoes, but can make a holster too soft, and there's no undoing it. Maybe not as critical on a flap holster as it is on a boned holster, but I still wouldn't do it.

You might want to check to see if the holster has any value first before you do anything. Most holster makers will recommend a light coat of Renaissance Wax if anything.

Jason
Good point Jason, I never thought about that.
I've always used mink oil on all my leather goods, from baseball gloves to my old Vietnam era .45 cal flap holster, and all are still in great condition. But on the other hand since the holster in question is quite older you have a point.
I do remember a ballgame back in 1980 when I was still in the service and played on the Gun School team while stationed at Great lakes, Ill.
I had just rubbed out my glove prior to the game, we were all sitting on the grass, and a friend had his ferret. The thing was running around and for some reason came to my glove, and cuddled into the pocket. He had to practically rip the creature out of the glove. Guess it thought it was a distant relative.
Oh well, it was funny at the time.

Quick Reply: 1911 Leather Gun Holster