Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

10 points, Jeep recovery

Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 points, Jeep recovery

This fella had his nose up a doe's arse this morning:

A better view of his rack:

Yesterday was opening day in Indiana for firearms.

I saw nothing from stand yesterday morning. I saw thirteen in the evening, none within range.
The above buck and the doe he was nosing were the only two I saw today.
Walking in the dark to stand yesterday morning, I took a twig in my left eye. I still can't see out of it. (I can see, but everything is extremely blurry. I think I scratched the cornea.) Since I shoot a gun left-handed, I was pretty proud of the shot at 50 yards. In the left lung, through the heart, lodged in the right shoulder. He was down within 30 yards of running. Lightfield slugs are a beautiful thing.

Last edited by sixt7gt350; 11-16-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi

Waaaaaay nice buck.....congrats for sure You lucky dog....here your deer season is just starting and our moose season has been closed since Sept. 20th. I hate it.....it's like we have to hunt in the summertime up here. Totally sucks...

btw...Hope your eye gets to feelin' better......that can't be any fun. If it starts getting real sensitive to light be sure to see a doc.....ok?

All the best from Alaska....
Dave
Old 11-16-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Waaaaaay nice buck.....congrats for sure You lucky dog....here your deer season is just starting and our moose season has been closed since Sept. 20th. I hate it.....it's like we have to hunt in the summertime up here. Totally sucks...

btw...Hope your eye gets to feelin' better......that can't be any fun. If it starts getting real sensitive to light be sure to see a doc.....ok?

All the best from Alaska....
Dave
Thanks.

Yeah, my dad told my mom, so she's been calling me, pestering me about doing something about my eye.
Light sources have a starburst effect. The computer monitor is a real treat to look at, so I have to close my left eye.
I plan to see an eye doc tomorrow.
I normally have better than perfect vision, so having an eye out of whack really bugs me.
Yesterday, my left eye hurt pretty bad most of the day. The pain was enough that it was making my right eye water, which made it blurry too. THAT was no fun.

I'm no fan of hunting when it's warm, either. Our archery season starts in mid-October and the deer don't move much when it's warm. I passed on a couple young bucks during archery season, so with our one buck per year rule, I was glad I passed on the little fellers when the 10-pointer came through today. Firearm season transitions to muzzeloaders, then back to archery. My dad usually brings in a couple more does during muzzleloader season. At that time, there is often snow on the ground. It started snowing today while I was field dressing. (I love snow.) Neither of us have hunted late archery.

I hope to hunt elk or moose in Montana some day, but the non-resident licenses are out of control on price. My sister has a place on the continental divide, between Butte and Helena. When we were out there last, a moose cow would walk down the trout stream in the morning with her calf. I had elk steak out there and it was unbelievably delicious. I've been told moose is even better.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I lost my right eye 10 years ago, no fun. Go to the doctor and have it checked out. I have to shoot left handed now, and do just fine. but I really miss my eye.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
This fella had his nose up a doe's arse this morning:

A better view of his rack:

Yesterday was opening day in Indiana for firearms.

I saw nothing from stand yesterday morning. I saw thirteen in the evening, none within range.
The above buck and the doe he was nosing were the only two I saw today.
Walking in the dark to stand yesterday morning, I took a twig in my left eye. I still can't see out of it. (I can see, but everything is extremely blurry. I think I scratched the cornea.) Since I shoot a gun left-handed, I was pretty proud of the shot at 50 yards. In the left lung, through the heart, lodged in the right shoulder. He was down within 30 yards of running. Lightfield slugs are a beautiful thing.
BEAUTIFUL BUCK ......man I am missing hunting this season!!!! My 7yr old daughter was disappointed we are not going this season for a big buck!

Sorry about your eye....I always make sure I pack a pair of safety glasses for my daughter when we go bush wacking....I would suggest you pack a pair in your pack for next season.

Are you thinking about a head mount for this buck???
Old 11-19-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Great looking buck Rifle season starts here in about 1 1/2 weeks, I can't wait I have the 1st 3 days off.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I made it to the eye doc.
I managed to take a chunk out of the direct center of my cornea.
It should heal, according to the doc. (As of today, things are still a bit blurry out of the left eye.) She gave me some antibiotic drops.

I bought some comfy shooting glasses for woods walking. I like my eyes too much.

I caped the neck and cut the head off, but I'm debating a full mount or just the antlers. (Actually, in a vent of manly energy, I didn't cut the head off, but snapped the neck with a full twist.) Full mounts get a little salty. That money would be better spent on Jeep mods (LōD Signature stubby is at the top of my wish list) or a handgun before TheOne and Nazi Lugosi begin their disarming of America.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
I made it to the eye doc.
I managed to take a chunk out of the direct center of my cornea.
It should heal, according to the doc. (As of today, things are still a bit blurry out of the left eye.) She gave me some antibiotic drops.

I bought some comfy shooting glasses for woods walking. I like my eyes too much.

I caped the neck and cut the head off, but I'm debating a full mount or just the antlers. (Actually, in a vent of manly energy, I didn't cut the head off, but snapped the neck with a full twist.) Full mounts get a little salty. That money would be better spent on Jeep mods (LōD Signature stubby is at the top of my wish list) or a handgun before TheOne and Nazi Lugosi begin their disarming of America.
OUCH....that is not good about the taking a chunk out of the cornea!!!! Also, glad to hear it will heal!!!!!!

Glad you got some shooting glasses....you need them eyes for shooting more BIG BUCK's!!!!

Yes the head mounts do cost a bit of cash! I hear about it from my wife when I talk about getting a big buck or elk mount.....and even discussing a Mountian Goat or Big Horn Sheep mount if I get drawn next season and I get lucky shooting one.

Like Sonic stated the European mounts look great!!!! I know I got 5 european mounts (moose, elk and a few deer) and they look sharp! I am working on 2 more european mounts a 11 pt white-tail I took last season with my 7 year old daughter and a pronghorn antelope. Just need to work on my wife to open up space on the walls for the mounts.

You can always down the road get a head mount of the buck just by finding another nice cape from someone. If I remember I will try to post a few of the European mounts to get a feel on how they look!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi

A couple pics of my mounts and my first deer with my daugher head mount.

Head mount of first deer I shot with my daughter (5yrs old) tagging along and helped rattle this beast. Ended up scoring 141 5/8 net.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just a few antlers to my collection that my wife would not allow me to get a head mount. BUT was nice enough to allow European mounts.

Top one is my first White-tail ever and the bottom one is my first Bow and Arrow buck.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The European mount I am going to work on this Winter. This was the Deer my daughter (6yrs old) and I got last fall....and again she helped rattle this 11 point 155 1/8 net deer. Would have scored over 160 if it was not for the G4 broken on the right side from a fight with possibly a bigger buck in the area.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 11-20-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi

Again....congrats on the buck, and REAL glad your eye will get better.

Hey TrippleJeep.....see what I posted on your "big game mounts" thread.

I'm just curious if anybody else calls Tripple's mounts "European" mounts? I have always known his mounts as just plaque mounts. My understanding of a true European mount is where the entire skull (less the jaw bone) is cleaned and sealed, left white, and mounted to a plaque without a leather or velvet covering.

As I mentioned to TrippleJeep, I'm just curious if this is yet another difference in "lingo" terms, from one guys neck of woods to the others', (ie 4 point west count / 8 point east count) that I haven't heard about yet. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.
Good Hunting...!!!

Quick Reply: 10 points, Jeep recovery