Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Tin Cup Trail Run 1/29/11 SNOW RUN!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tin Cup Trail Run 1/29/11 SNOW RUN!

SNOW RUN! LET'S RIDE!

Myself and a co-worker who just lifted his wife's Grand Cherokee plan to go take on the Tin Cup Trail in Baldwin, MI, January 29th. It would be awesome if some of you guys would come, with Jeeps, the more the better. About 4 of us attempted this last year and ended up getting lost out there for about an hour, ahhh, good times! The trail should be an easy ride, bring the kids if you got 'em. There are a couple of "break off" trails that aren't that long, but pose a challenge to those looking for one. Shouldn't take us all day, DNR claims it to be 18 miles long. If we complete it and want more, there is another trail just 10 miles away. I will leave links to both trails below.

Let's meet at the gas station (I think it's a Shell yet), at the corner of US 10 and M-37 in Baldwin, coordinates: +43° 54' 3.28", -85° 51' 2.65". Time: 10:30 am. They have a decent sized lot and decent coffee.

Radio Channel 24.

Hopefully there is some decent snow. Those of us who went on the WhiteHall trip hosted by JoelMahoney had a good time, but little snow. (what gives this year?) The difficulty will be about the same, but with way less scratching of the paint.

Anybody who wants to go, we'd love for you to come along. Nothing like passing a day away wheelin!

DNR Maps:
http://www.midnr.com/publications/pd..._cup_trail.pdf
http://www.midnr.com/publications/pd...stee_trail.pdf

My video of one of those "challenge" spots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgqq9k05Iag
PS: no comments on the driving, this was my first off-road adventure!

RSVP LIST:

IN:
itsarubiconday
itsarubiconday's friend
mark9998
jjw
RedKevin
Muffins

MAYBE:
GL08JK
MsCin
dallasc

Last edited by itsarubiconday; 01-27-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Junkie

Sounds like a good time, put me down as a maybe, I'll have to check with the boss first and make sure there isn't anything planned that weekend.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

On the maps you linked to it says that an ORV sticker is required unless registered by the Secretary of State. Does that mean a street license is good enough?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im a maybe right now, will let you know for sure. Sounds like a good time for sure with more snow now!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We should be able to go. Love to meet some other Jeepers and get out in the snow.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds good guys. Hopefully all of you can go! It looks like we're finally getting some snow around here as well. It would be nice if it just keeps on coming till the ride!

Keep me UTD and I will keep a tally on the RSVP list I started in my origianl post.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bstpierre
On the maps you linked to it says that an ORV sticker is required unless registered by the Secretary of State. Does that mean a street license is good enough?
I just called the Cadillac DNR office, and they said that, "a road worthy, road going passenger vehicle operating with a valid Michigan license plate does NOT require an ORV sticker to ride this these trails". The ORV sticker is required for those who bring ATVs, or the more heavily modified Jeeps that are not driven on the roads. So we should be fine without it.

(Though for $17, I get one every year for the dunes and to cover my butt.)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by itsarubiconday
I just called the Cadillac DNR office, and they said that, "a road worthy, road going passenger vehicle operating with a valid Michigan license plate does NOT require an ORV sticker to ride this these trails". The ORV sticker is required for those who bring ATVs, or the more heavily modified Jeeps that are not driven on the roads. So we should be fine without it.

(Though for $17, I get one every year for the dunes and to cover my butt.)
Yes, $17 for a year isn't bad but their year is from March to March, isn't it? $17 for a couple of months is a little steeper.

I can't make this trip due to a conflict but I think I am getting closer to make one of these someday!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Very interested in this. Heard about last years run, but I couldn't make it.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK I'm in for sure, my step dad's got an '89 CJ7, he may drive his jeep as well or just ride with me, not for sure yet.

Looking forward to it, sounds like they got quite a bit of snow up there right now, should be interesting to see how much they will have 2 weeks from now!

Quick Reply: Tin Cup Trail Run 1/29/11 SNOW RUN!