Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Floor Plug Problem - (from the factory?)

Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor Plug Problem - (from the factory?)

Hey Guys,

I know it'll seem odd that I bring this up now, but believe it or not, I just put two and two together. (No, I'm not studying the science of rockets up here in Michigan!). About this past May sometime when my 2008 Rubicon took on water for the first time, (I was so proud of her!), I opened up the drain plugs and noticed that the one underneath the factory jack location was missing. Not really thinking something could be wrong, I assumed that a test driver before I had bought this unit had taken it to use on his own JK, or that some crazy pressure of water or mud had knocked it out. So about a week ago with winter threatening, I finally got around to ordering and picking up the new plug. I actually ordered 3 plugs so I would have extras if I needed them in the near future. When I placed the new plug in the open hole, it didn't fit. Like it was made wrong. Not the plug, the hole. There is almost a quarter inch of play in any of the four general directions with the plug in the hole. So much play that if I move the plug in the hole to the right side, I can just barely see the left edge of the stamped hole. Thinking the plug was bad, I checked another plug and got the same result. And got the same result with one of my original plugs. When I asked VanAndel and Flikkema Jeep in Grand Rapids about it, they told me that all the plugs for 2007-2012 wranglers are the same and that it should fit. I said that this is obviously a problem from the factory and would like this investigated to see what could be done, and the reply I got was, "Jeep isn't going to do anything. Your best bet is to just try and modify a plug to make it fit yourself." (Note that I drive an '08 with 41k on the odometer.)
I'm kinda upset that this has happened. How does a stamped hole come out bigger on my Jeep and mine only? The parts guy has never heard of this. Am I wrong to be upset here? Should I call and bitch at Jeep? Am I making a big thing outta nothing?

Thought and opinions are appreciated.

-J
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsarubiconday
Hey Guys,

I know it'll seem odd that I bring this up now, but believe it or not, I just put two and two together. (No, I'm not studying the science of rockets up here in Michigan!). About this past May sometime when my 2008 Rubicon took on water for the first time, (I was so proud of her!), I opened up the drain plugs and noticed that the one underneath the factory jack location was missing. Not really thinking something could be wrong, I assumed that a test driver before I had bought this unit had taken it to use on his own JK, or that some crazy pressure of water or mud had knocked it out. So about a week ago with winter threatening, I finally got around to ordering and picking up the new plug. I actually ordered 3 plugs so I would have extras if I needed them in the near future. When I placed the new plug in the open hole, it didn't fit. Like it was made wrong. Not the plug, the hole. There is almost a quarter inch of play in any of the four general directions with the plug in the hole. So much play that if I move the plug in the hole to the right side, I can just barely see the left edge of the stamped hole. Thinking the plug was bad, I checked another plug and got the same result. And got the same result with one of my original plugs. When I asked VanAndel and Flikkema Jeep in Grand Rapids about it, they told me that all the plugs for 2007-2012 wranglers are the same and that it should fit. I said that this is obviously a problem from the factory and would like this investigated to see what could be done, and the reply I got was, "Jeep isn't going to do anything. Your best bet is to just try and modify a plug to make it fit yourself." (Note that I drive an '08 with 41k on the odometer.)
I'm kinda upset that this has happened. How does a stamped hole come out bigger on my Jeep and mine only? The parts guy has never heard of this. Am I wrong to be upset here? Should I call and bitch at Jeep? Am I making a big thing outta nothing?

Thought and opinions are appreciated.

-J
I don't think you're making something out of nothing. I'd be pissed off too! I don't know what'd I'd expect anyone to do though. I'd start off by modifying something to plug that hole and go from there.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are 2 different sizes of plugs. I have i think 4 small holes and 10 or 11 of the bigger holes. Maybe whoever ordered the plugs for you messed up the part number and ordered the smaller plug instead of the bigger one. That's the only thing I can think is the problem. I know one place the smaller hole is under the back seat hinge, where it hooks into the floor when you fold it upright. Good Luck!!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Boilerhoss
There are 2 different sizes of plugs. I have i think 4 small holes and 10 or 11 of the bigger holes. Maybe whoever ordered the plugs for you messed up the part number and ordered the smaller plug instead of the bigger one. That's the only thing I can think is the problem. I know one place the smaller hole is under the back seat hinge, where it hooks into the floor when you fold it upright. Good Luck!!
The size difference with the small vs big plugs is so much different that I think the small one would fall right through a big plug opening. He said there was about 1/4" of play in the plug. Damn Chrysler ruining all of our Jeeps!

Quick Reply: Floor Plug Problem - (from the factory?)