Notices
Gladiator Off-Road 101 For topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First Gladiator trip

Old 10-20-2019 | 08:53 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM WinnerJK-Forum Ambassador

Default First Gladiator trip

So I went on a trip up into the mountains of Wyoming on Friday... took the Gladiator. The road is mostly gravel for about 20 miles, and then 10 miles of forest service dirt roads... some creek crossings and small rocks and mud. There had been a lot of snow in the area so I thought 4wd might be needed, but really never shifted into it once.

Observations:
They are really smooth, my JK is not terrible with King Shocks and dual rate springs etc... but the long wheelbase on the gladiator took some big holes on the road at speed with the gentle manners of a much smoother newer truck. Very smooth even at speed when you hit that bump you didn't see.

The 8 speed in 2wd will hold the truck back on hills when you pop it into manual mode. The first gear and second gear were low enough to not use brakes often on 10 miles of mostly downhill travel.

The traction control did great on snow and ice... never slipped or gave any sign of being light in the rear- a common trait I expected to have on the pickup on glare ice.

It is very quiet. we could talk and not even hear the engine in the cab.

After 350 miles in one day- the seats are as good as the JK. They fit and hold you nicely.

The back seats have enough room for the rear passenger to enjoy the trail.

Jeep figured out how to make a retractable seatbelt! A door that doesn't close on you, and a roof that didn't leak! I was impressed overall!

It would need a really tall lift and tires to go where my JK goes on 37's... but for most trails it will be enough for all that is thrown at it.

Still under 1000 miles- it is getting 18.6 mpg over it's life at this point, and this was my first highway trip with it. Before leaving it was at 16.3 for the 450 miles of in town driving. We will see if it gets better as it breaks in!

Overall, with the 33's it still is a capable trail truck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Sunnysideup:
Sims (06-09-2021), user 729872082 (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Wait till they bring the JT out in the 4XE. That will be a great rig. And a guy I know who runs a service dept at a dealer I asked him to be honest about warranty claims for the 4XE and all he said was one with a plug in receptacle issue and the other was a temperature sensor. Thats it for many sold by them.
Old 06-22-2022 | 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

A good write up and report. Just completed 5,500 .miles - 95 hrs, 16.9 mph .. avg speed = 58.7 mph. in 12 days in the Gladiator Mojave w/35s.. to Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Zion, Bryce.. NO Issues,, Great Ride, did washboard trails for over 30 miles at 45-55; almost like on the pavement. Great Ride. All you wrote is on the $$..

Quick Reply: First Gladiator trip