Notices
Gladiator Member Write-Ups Consolidation of all current information from 'Member Writeups which includes Gladiator Garage - Member Builds, Jeeping Lifestyle, Gladiator Write-Ups)

Clearing a 33 inch tire on a sport base model

Old 10-03-2019, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Clearing a 33 inch tire on a sport base model

Some of you will be like me... I ordered a sport Max Tow for the wider stronger axles, and the extra large brakes, extra tranny cooler, etc... I also ordered with the Aux. switch group for the larger battery and Alternator... and 4 pre wired switches.
But it still comes with 245 tires and steel rims. Cheap shocks...

I watched for a set of rims and tires and locally got a set of Launch edition tires (285 Falken) and limited edition rims for 1400 dollars for all 5 with TPMS sensors... with zero miles. I also got a full set of Rubicon fox shocks for 200 bucks. From what I've seen the 33's will not clear the front fender liners and such without a lift. The 33's will rub when turning and even worse at a flex. The rear clear fine.

I opted for a spacer lift. Teraflex 1.5 inch in the front, and Daystar 3/4 in the rear. Both are spacer lift pucks... and the Front lift comes with extended bump stops. Both kits had complete instructions. Some have skipped doing anything with the rear axle to get rid of the factory "nose down" condition. This does even the truck out if your not towing, but creates a problem towing... pointing your lights up into oncoming traffic. I think that most of the spacer lifts... that I've seen make the front aim up when nothing is done to the rear. So I split the difference. Teraflex spacer comes in two different pucks... so you can go with just one inch or with 1.5 inches. If you are never changing the front bumper I think the 1 inch lift would still give you enough clearance for 33's. If you are thinking you might some day add a metal bumper you might want to go to the 1.5 inch.

I didn't take any pics... installing a puck is not complicated. And doing all 4 took about 2.5 hours- and that was placing the new Fox shocks in position as well. The shocks do change the ride... and I think it is noticeably a better ride with the shocks. They are slightly longer which also negates the need for putting on shock extenders with the lift.

This jeep is a mild build.... a daily driver... and it will be towing some weight. So with that being said... it is staying close to stock. I think the look of the truck is helped with the 33's... and the sport fenders are lower and maybe wider than the rubicon fenders- which helps fill the wheel wells.

I also added a Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer for good measure. The truck drives great, feels great and is perfect for what we plan on using it for!

The daystar pucks can be found for $29.00/ Teraflex spacer kit for $150 or less depending on the discount your store offers you. Fox take off shocks are about 150 to 200 bucks on ebay... and rubicon tire and rim combos can be found for 1000 bucks...

If you sell your old tires for 500 bucks- you can get a couple inches more clearance, for about 1500 to 1000 dollars. And your Gladiator will look more like they should have came stock!

The following 3 users liked this post by Sunnysideup:
08RescueGreen (03-19-2020), jadmt (11-22-2019), SprkEng56 (01-26-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice work — and you can't beat the price! They actually wrote this up for the front page. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2019, 08:40 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Wow! Cool to see it on top!
I have about 3000 miles on the lift now... it is still a great ride with the rubicon fox shocks! Getting above 20mpg on highway most of the time and 17 on average in town, which is one reason I didn't try 35's...even though they might fit. The price was right for the tire and wheels I got and the tires are really quiet! I would do it again!
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Mayday (01-02-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just need to remove the plastic piece on bumper . I have 34.4s 31570R17 without a lift and no rubbing at all , offroad maybe some issue but good for street . I'll add a 1.5 TF kit as well soon with Falcon shocks. I tow a 24 ft trailer so more of an "overland" build

Last edited by combolc; 02-07-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Looks great! I was watching others have some rubbing issues without the lift... and some solved it the way you did... with trimming a few plastic parts! I don't plan on running bigger tires for a few years, keeping it close to stock, but I get tempted now and then to throw 37's on it and 3 inches of lift... lol. But it is my wife's jeep... so I got to deal with that... LOL!
Old 03-19-2020, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice!

Originally Posted by combolc
just need to remove the plastic piece on bumper . I have 34.4s 31570R17 without a lift and no rubbing at all , offroad maybe some issue but good for street . I'll add a 1.5 TF kit as well soon with Falcon shocks. I tow a 24 ft trailer so more of an "overland" build

did you end up adjusting anything? What exactly did you remove?
Old 06-01-2020, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i only had to remove the plastic piece that was on the bumper, between the wheel and the fender.

Quick Reply: Clearing a 33 inch tire on a sport base model