Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Tires for those in the Mountains

Old 08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had a liberty, I used the BFG AT KO and I had not problems going up to 12k on roads and level 1-3 trails. They also did very well in deep snow, aired down and they floated over. They were good in the icy snow we get. Now, on the JK, I still have the KM (not the KM2). These work pretty good on dirt, rocks, mud and good snow. Don't do well with our icy snow, I have to air them down to get any real traction. I was thinking of going the Duratrac route when I burn these down.

But, I have seen several JK/TJ still using the BFG KO AT and work well. So, I am still on the fence as well. I like the mud tread, but I like how the KO handled in the snow.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

The BFG KO's come in different compounds so Make sure the size you want is severe snow rated.
I know this because I have owned both compounds and it's makes a difference
Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJSJK50
When I had a liberty, I used the BFG AT KO and I had not problems going up to 12k on roads and level 1-3 trails. They also did very well in deep snow, aired down and they floated over. They were good in the icy snow we get. Now, on the JK, I still have the KM (not the KM2). These work pretty good on dirt, rocks, mud and good snow. Don't do well with our icy snow, I have to air them down to get any real traction. I was thinking of going the Duratrac route when I burn these down.

But, I have seen several JK/TJ still using the BFG KO AT and work well. So, I am still on the fence as well. I like the mud tread, but I like how the KO handled in the snow.
I hear ya man, the M/T look, especially KM2 is so nice, but...wondering if siping an M/T is really a worthy consideration in this climate, I understand it adds grip, but maybe not "that much' grip.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

I ran the Nitto Trailgrappler M/T for the first time last winter and they did good in the deep and packed stuff, but boy the ice was not fun (well it was, just not safe). That was down here in the city mostly, so I can only imagine what you'll get in to.. I love the tires, don't get me wrong, just if you're really concerned about the slick stuff, you'll probably want to be siped. For me though I'm in dry stuff most the year.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

I regulary drive from glenwood to the front range all winter and dated a girl in keystone all last winter so i was in a shit ton of snow. I think i have driven on 70 more times when its snow covered then dry!

That said...my previous KM2 and my present MT/R got me there and home every time but when its a snow packed road its really sketchy. If i was running the smaller size tires i would be getting the Duratracs in a heart beat or at least an A/T tire. IF they made the tracs in a 37 i would buy them honestly. The perfect tire would be a 37" duratrac with kevlar!! You listening GY?!! lol THis year i am going to go down in size and get an A/T tire to better tackle the snowy roads.

i would hand down get a duratrac over a M/T living where we do if they made one in 37. Most of the trails in colorado and in moab can be run with an a/t tire.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by voodoojk
I regulary drive from glenwood to the front range all winter and dated a girl in keystone all last winter so i was in a shit ton of snow. I think i have driven on 70 more times when its snow covered then dry!

That said...my previous KM2 and my present MT/R got me there and home every time but when its a snow packed road its really sketchy. If i was running the smaller size tires i would be getting the Duratracs in a heart beat or at least an A/T tire. IF they made the tracs in a 37 i would buy them honestly. The perfect tire would be a 37" duratrac with kevlar!! You listening GY?!! lol THis year i am going to go down in size and get an A/T tire to better tackle the snowy roads.

i would hand down get a duratrac over a M/T living where we do if they made one in 37. Most of the trails in colorado and in moab can be run with an a/t tire.
Great stuff!

I guess that's really all there is too it.... were you siped on the KM2/ MT/R?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing
Chains? Never really struck me as necessary with the current crappy Duelers, could they really be necessary on an aggressive A/T tire?

It's nice to have this community here, until you spend winter at 7500+ feet, well its just a different ball game.... no disrespect to WV and PA mountains.
Don't know if that was for me or not but, I'm from Erie COLORADO not PA. Anyway...

Like I said, if you're talking about the nastiest winters and want your best chances of getting home in any weather either stud the Duratracs or get some chains for the "nastiest ice". I mean the fall-on-your-butt-when-you-get-out kind of ice. Studs and chains are the only option in that stuff. I've got a set but I've never had to use them. Cheap insurance. Get some chains for your boots for that stuff too.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Like I mentioned earlier, my friend has done the whole " finding the best all around tire gig"
Bottom line best route is a dedicated winter tire with studs or chains and a summer tire for whatever your driving style is - street/ highway or offroad !!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snopro269
Like I mentioned earlier, my friend has done the whole " finding the best all around tire gig"
Bottom line best route is a dedicated winter tire with studs or chains and a summer tire for whatever your driving style is - street/ highway or offroad !!
I understand this 100%.... but sometimes finances dictate one tire...
Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snopro269
The BFG KO's come in different compounds so Make sure the size you want is severe snow rated....
Yes, I forgot that part... very ture... need the severe snow rating ones. And if you get the LT (light truck) version, it has extra protection for the side wall.

Originally Posted by cfr
...Get some chains for your boots for that stuff too.
I have those too!

Quick Reply: Tires for those in the Mountains