Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im off hope to go!!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rde2Rok
Planning a Night run to Bradshaw's Grave (Wickenburg Mountains) on Saturday 9-4-10. Moderate Trail. It's an easy run no lockers needed. Narrow, rocky shelf roads and steep inclines and sandy creek bottoms. About 25 miles one way. Allow 4-5 hours for the round trip. We will meet at the Shell Station on Highway 60 in Wittmann at 7pm. Want to be on the road by 7:30pm. Post in the Bradshaw Grave Night Run Saturday 9-4-10 thread if you want to attend.
I can go if we could push it back an hour.. Would that be okay?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

ya i cant go. i got work sunday am @ 5 haha
Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 AM
JK Freak

Default PHOENIX JK's

Originally Posted by TonyT
I can go if we could push it back an hour.. Would that be okay?
What are you looking at Tony? It's going to take about 3.5 to 4.5 hrs round trip to do depending on ,how many,condition of trail(should be pretty good)etc....It doesn't matter to me,I don't think everybody wants to stay out that late.Maybe a little input from everyone?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 AM
JK Freak

Default PHOENIX JK's

Originally Posted by Capone
That looks like a good time! But whos Red Jeep is that with the doors and top on it? I can't commit right now but will know for sure Wednesday...
Tony! Did you happen to notice the RAIN! and all that MUD!!! I HATE THE MUD!!! See the silver jeep that is stuck!Notice his tires, After we got back he sold his jeep the next day.He's not a jeeper! Also.....Aren't there supposed to be some more new high $$$ LAMPS?Night.....lamps.......dark.......lamp s.......jeep......lamps.....

Last edited by Rde2Rok; 08-31-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am in, John why don't you post up a seperate thread..............I am off that weekend so all is good for me
Old 08-31-2010, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Turkey Creek / Black Canyon

Trail Rating: 3.5

The Turkey Creek Trail runs through the Black Canyon in the Bumble Bee area of the Bradshaw Mountains. There are many roads, tracks and trails in this area. It is well advised to with an experienced trip leader until you become familiar with this beautiful but rugged area.

There will be rocky areas to play on along the way. If the river is running, you'll want to make sure you have a winch along, as there are boulders and quick sand hiding, waiting to bite a Jeep. About the 4th crossing you come to will be the toughest. If there is alot of water, stay to the left, then cut back to the right about 75 feet before land. If you continue down the creek (left) you will sink your rig. Be very cautious. You will come to two obstacles (right of the creek). The first is the "ditch rock" because you have to go through a ditch that may be filled with water, then come back up to climb through a rocky spot. The second obstacle right after that is "the squeeze" where you have to maneuver through about 50 feet of tightly spaced rock. After these two obstacles, there isn't much else to worry about. Keep following the wash up, eventually the road will become more apparent. The trail takes a steep climb out to the top of a ridge, then drops off the other side. You will come to a Y intersection, you may go either way. The left branch climbs another ridge and then drops you back into the wash on the other side.

The right branch takes you through Bob Reaves' mining claim. Bob lives in the historic cabin, originally built back in the 1800's. If you have time to stop by the cabin, Bob will give you a little history of the area. He does enjoy visitors and will like for you sign into his guest book. He is a volunteer for the BLM and a very nice guy. Be sure to tell him you belong to the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club.

The trail on the right branch almost completely disappears; pick your way through carefully you'll find rocky flat areas with no brush on them, this is the trail. After passing around the corner from Bob's cabin, you'll see where the trail used to go across a bend in the wash; now that is pretty much impassable. You can continue up the wash and around the corner. If the water is running, this may be extremely hazardous.

After the bend, the two trails combine again. The trail is much more visible now, there will be a few places where the trail splits, take the most travelled looking trail. Go SLOW one of these side trails (the old trail) has about a four foot angled drop off as you come around a blind curve. (If you get here turn around and cross the creek).

The further you go, the more apparent the trail is. At the joining of Poland Creek and Turkey Creek, the trail leaves the bottom of the canyon and heads across the hills to Cleator. Overall, with a small group of Jeeps, this trail can be done between 4 - 6 hours when dry depending on how much site seeing you do. If it is really wet, this can be a weekend trip.

One note of caution, this trail runs almost entirely through active mining claims; do NOT stop and start digging around.

Remember to bring water, lunch (and more if it's wet), and don't forget your camera.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

You want to do Turkey Creek the folowing weekend???? or this weekend???? I will do it the following but ill be out of town this weekend.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Default Bradshaw Grave Night Run 9-4-10

Tony T, did you want to start an hour earlier or an hour later. Please clarify. If you guys want we can leave a couple hours earlier so that we can do one way in the day and come back out at night. Just a thought...some input please.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rde2Rok
Tony T, did you want to start an hour earlier or an hour later. Please clarify. If you guys want we can leave a couple hours earlier so that we can do one way in the day and come back out at night. Just a thought...some input please.
An hour later. Wife and I wont be off until 6pm. And were on the east-side now, so it would take at least an hour to get out there.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!